Re: Prepress-ready PDFs

  • Paul W. Romaine
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
      Brian-
      Thanks on these fascinating comments on PDF. I'm working on a photopolymer
      keepsake using Matthew Carter's soon-to-be released "Monticello" and Carter
      provided a thinned version because he knew we would be doing letterpress.
      Carter specifically cited Gerald's comments on "Manutius/Miller" in
      _Printing History_ 42 (Volume XXI, No. 2).

      Best,
      Paul

      > Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 21:38:11 -0800
      > From: Brian Allen <allenprinter@...>
      >Subject: Re: Prepress-ready PDFs
      >
      >I mentioned in a message to Gerald a few weeks ago that we (Agfa Monotype
      >font group) had hired recently hired a former Adobe Type department who told
      >me that they had discovered that type embedded in pdf files seemed to image
      >a little thinner than the same type sent separately, with a file, to a
      >service bureau. They apparently never found out why. The difference is
      >minute, I'm sure. But it could be seen as a small and unexpected aid in
      >photopolymer derived letterpress work.
      >Brian

    • Phillip Driscoll
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
        Is this related to Linotype's face called "Monticello"?

        --Phillip Driscoll

      • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
          wrote:
          > Is this related to Linotype's face called "Monticello"?
          >
          > --Phillip Driscoll

          Phillip

          Here is a URL that will provide some information:

          http://printinghistory.org/htm/news/national/carter-creesy.htm

          The Carter face is based on a Binny & Ronaldson, which was later the
          inspiration for the Linotype. I don't know if Linotype had previously
          issued this in digital form.

          Gerald
        • Paul W Romaine <romaine@pipeline.com>
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
            Phillip,
            Yes! It's more than related to the Linotype "Monticello" type.
            Princeton University press commissioned a digital version from Matthew
            Carter and it will be licensed through Linotype. Should be out soon.

            "Monticello" is based upon Binny & Ronaldson's Roman no. 1 and ATF's
            "Oxford" (itself an adaption of B&R's Roman). It was named
            "Monticello" in tribute to Jefferson, who wrote approvingly of the B&R
            type in an 1822 letter. The American Printing History Association) has
            asked Carter and Charles Creesy from Princeton to speak about the
            history and adapation of the type at a Feb 25 lecture in New York at
            the Grolier Club. Details at the APHA website
            http://www.printinghistory.org/

            Best,
            Paul
            (who is also VP for Membership for APHA)

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Driscoll" <phild@a...>

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
              Gerald,
              Sorry for duplication in responses.

              I don't know if Linotype had previously digitized. I understand that
              Princeton University Press had a "crude Postscript version" for TyX
              setting, which was "unruly in Windows." Originally intended for
              proofing, PUP had produced the last few volumes of the Jefferson
              Papers in it because they had no alternative. I guess they could have
              switched to Bell or a similar Scotch Roman, or, more likely a Caslon
              or Baskerville.

              Matthew told me that he started with... oh, wait for the lecture. It's
              wonderful to hear how he used rare books to inform his re-working of
              his starting material.

              Best,
              Paul

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange <bieler@w...>"