Platemakers

  • Amber Ellis-Seguine
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2010
      Dear list,

      I know I don't often, if ever post to this group, apologies there. BUT I am calling on the photopolymer experts. I need a platemaker and I am wonder, where I can find a good used machine. I would also love to know any recommendation on which machine you believe to be best. I am a fairly experienced letterpress printer and I mainly print on a Heidelberg Windmill (10x15) but I also have a KSBA. So as far as plate size goes I was thinking an A4 would be plenty big. And since I have decided to stop lurking, offer nothing, and ask for much information, why stop at a platemaker? What are any of your thoughts on Imagesetters?

      Thank you in advance for your help!
      Amber

      p.s. I my shop is located just south of San Francisco in Burlingame and I have looked/asked Briars, Hicks Brothers, craigslist.

      Amber Ellis-Seguine
      650.468.9537
      650.347.4066

    • bielerpr
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2010
        Amber

        There are links to used photopolymer platemaking machine suppliers on site at

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Amber Ellis-Seguine <amber@...> wrote:

        > Dear list,
        >
        > I know I don't often, if ever post to this group, apologies there. BUT
        > I am calling on the photopolymer experts. I need a platemaker and I am
        > wonder, where I can find a good used machine. I would also love to
        > know any recommendation on which machine you believe to be best. I am
        > a fairly experienced letterpress printer and I mainly print on a
        > Heidelberg Windmill (10x15) but I also have a KSBA. So as far as plate
        > size goes I was thinking an A4 would be plenty big. And since I have
        > decided to stop lurking, offer nothing, and ask for much information,
        > why stop at a platemaker? What are any of your thoughts on Imagesetters?
        >
        > Thank you in advance for your help!
        > Amber
        >
        > p.s. I my shop is located just south of San Francisco in Burlingame
        > and I have looked/asked Briars, Hicks Brothers, craigslist.

        > Amber Ellis-Seguine
        > www.flywheelpress.com
        > 650.468.9537
        > 650.347.4066

      • Allison Cornu
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 11, 2010
          Does anyone have any good links to homemade photopolymer machines, as mentioned below?

          There are links to used photopolymer platemaking machine suppliers on site at

          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Amber Ellis-Seguine <amber@...> wrote:

          > Dear list,
          >
          > I know I don't often, if ever post to this group, apologies there. BUT
          > I am calling on the photopolymer experts. I need a platemaker and I am
          > wonder, where I can find a good used machine. I would also love to
          > know any recommendation on which machine you believe to be best. I am
          > a fairly experienced letterpress printer and I mainly print on a
          > Heidelberg Windmill (10x15) but I also have a KSBA. So as far as plate
          > size goes I was thinking an A4 would be plenty big. And since I have
          > decided to stop lurking, offer nothing, and ask for much information,
          > why stop at a platemaker? What are any of your thoughts on Imagesetters?
          >
          > Thank you in advance for your help!
          > Amber
          >
          > p.s. I my shop is located just south of San Francisco in Burlingame
          > and I have looked/asked Briars, Hicks Brothers, craigslist.

          > Amber Ellis-Seguine
          > www.flywheelpress.com
          > 650.468.9537
          > 650.347.4066

        • Diana
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 11, 2010
            Hi all,

            This is my first post but I believe McClains Art Supply has a nice sized light box to expose the plates. Whole lotta whimsy has the solution but I'm sure you can find it elsewhere (let me know if you do!). They also have a video tutorial on their site on exposing photopolymer plates in case you needed it. Hope this helps point you in the direction your looking!

            Diana Keller
            SageLetterpress

            Allison Cornu <allison.cornu@...> wrote:

            >Does anyone have any good links to homemade photopolymer machines, as mentioned
            >below?

          • i_goonies
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 13, 2010
              Hello Allison,
              the plans to build a homemade device if I remember well are in the Files section of this group. If you don't find them email me I should have them on my PC.

              Have a nice day,
              Fabio