Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Heidelberg Cylinder Question

  • Bryan Hutcheson
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 5, 2010
      Eric
      Thanks for your response....

      the squeak happens right when the sheet is released from the suckers. It's just a brief, but very loud squeak. I pulled off the oil nut on the front of the pump and the sound goes away so I assume it has something to do with pressure on the blast cycle.  When I put my finger over the open hole the sound comes back.

      We also tried pulling off the filter and feed hose. That didn't stop the squeak. So it seems to be something in the blast cycle of the pump, which goes away when the press is put in feed and impression positions.

      Thinking it was the pump, I pulled it apart last week, cleaned and lubed it.

      The sound is definitely coming from the inside of the pump. But we just can't locate the cause.

      Cheers!

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Hutcheson <bryan@...> wrote:

      > In the past week our press has started making a slight squeak
      > somewhere around the air pump. We assume it's the pump because when
      > we put the press into feed position the sound stops.

      Where exactly in the cycle does it squeak? While piston is compressing, withdrawing, or is it continuous?
      Does the sound change if you open or close the auxiliary air controls for powder or sheet delivery blast, or change the pump relief valve? Is the air-filter clean?
      --Eric Holub, SF

    • Eric
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 8, 2010
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Hutcheson <bryan@...> wrote:

        > the squeak happens right when the sheet is released from the suckers.

        I cycled my KS today, and that seems to be the point where the "clack valve" is struck and the piston is pretty much all the way out.
        Could you stop the press and push the clack valve in manually, and replicate the squeak?
        Is the sound definitely metallic, or could it be one of those pneumatic squeaks (whistles)?

        > It's just a brief, but very loud squeak. I pulled off the oil nut on
        > the front of the pump and the sound goes away so I assume it has
        > something to do with pressure on the blast cycle. When I put my
        > finger over the open hole the sound comes back.
        >
        > We also tried pulling off the filter and feed hose. That didn't stop
        > the squeak. So it seems to be something in the blast cycle of the
        > pump, which goes away when the press is put in feed and impression
        > positions.
        >
        > Thinking it was the pump, I pulled it apart last week, cleaned and
        > lubed it.
        >
        > The sound is definitely coming from the inside of the pump. But we
        > just can't locate the cause.

        Maybe a mechanic's stethoscope would help pinpoint the source.

        --Eric Holub, SF