Re:replacing vandercook motor

  • author50401
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2010
      You're correct in saying that the ink system drive motor can be fairly easily replaced. The motor Fritz may have been refering to is the drive motor for the carriage of the Universal and powered 219 models. It is a different animal, and can be replaced, but due to the gear reduction coupling, is a much more complicated procedure.

      John H.

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Kim Vanderheiden <paintedtongue@...> wrote:

      > I went through this twice on my Vandercook 4. The first time we opened
      > the old engine and noticed there was a beautiful brass gear which was
      > crushed. We machined a new gear, but within a year or so, we were
      > having problems again. The second time we just replaced the motor
      > with a small one from Grainger. I'm not at the studio right now, but I
      > can look up the model. As you've probably already discovered, the
      > function of the motor is pretty simple. It just drives a bicycle chain
      > that turns the ink drum. We've had no trouble with our motor since
      > replacing it. We have had some issues with rollers chattering against
      > eachother, but this seems to be caused by long time wear in the
      > bearings and gears. I don't sense that it's caused by the specific
      > speed that the motor turns the chain.
      >
      > You might be fine with the confident electrician. The first time, a
      > friend who liked to work on his motorcycle helped me. The second time,
      > it was an assistant from Hicks Brothers, which deals in old printing
      > an bindery equipment in San Francisco. The mechanism is simple and
      > both seemed to know what they were doing with it. And it was the used
      > press dealer assistant who replaced the motor, which is the same
      > course your electrician is taking. I think you're probably ok.
      >
      > Kim Vanderheiden
      >

      > Painted Tongue Studios
      > Image + Words • Design + Art
      > www.paintedtonguepress.com
      > www.kimvanderheiden.com
      > cell/main: 510.593.4221
      > studio: 510.444.0458
      > fax: 480.393.5653
      >
      > Read about us on Companiesandme
      > See recent work on our blog
      > Visit us on Facebook
      > Find us on Yelp

    • author50401
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 7, 2010
        The noise in the Challenge Cutter is not an air compressor, but rather a hydraulic pump. It should not be extremely noisy, although certainly it does make some noise when in good repair. There must be something loose or bearings which need replacement. You should be able to take it to an hydraulic systems repair shop (or have someone come in to check it over.

        John Henry

        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 7, 2010
          Hi John

          Thanks for the note. It's not rattling except in the general sense of startlingly loud.
          Everything seems to work perfectly, so I think it's just the nature of the thing.

          Noise-canceling earphones have been suggested.