Re: [PPLetterpress] Prepress-ready PDFs

  • Brian Allen
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2003
      I mentioned in a message to Gerald a few weeks ago that we (Agfa Monotype
      font group) had hired recently hired a former Adobe Type department who told
      me that they had discovered that type embedded in pdf files seemed to image
      a little thinner than the same type sent separately, with a file, to a
      service bureau. They apparently never found out why. The difference is
      minute, I'm sure. But it could be seen as a small and unexpected aid in
      photopolymer derived letterpress work.
      Brian
      ----------
      on 2/4/03 10:08 AM, Gerald Lange <bieler@...> at
      bieler@... wrote:

      > Here is a link to a recent article on creating prepress-ready PDF
      > files. Brian Allen has suggested that this may be the best format in
      > which to send your files to the service bureau as the output may be a
      > bit more refined (according to an Adobe rep). I can't remember the
      > exact context of the information. Perhaps Brian would care to comment
      > further.
      >
      > http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/18736.html?cprose=4-05

      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > • Encountering problems? contact:
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > • To unsubscribe:

    • Paul W. Romaine
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
        Brian-
        Thanks on these fascinating comments on PDF. I'm working on a photopolymer
        keepsake using Matthew Carter's soon-to-be released "Monticello" and Carter
        provided a thinned version because he knew we would be doing letterpress.
        Carter specifically cited Gerald's comments on "Manutius/Miller" in
        _Printing History_ 42 (Volume XXI, No. 2).

        Best,
        Paul

        > Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 21:38:11 -0800
        > From: Brian Allen <allenprinter@...>
        >Subject: Re: Prepress-ready PDFs
        >
        >I mentioned in a message to Gerald a few weeks ago that we (Agfa Monotype
        >font group) had hired recently hired a former Adobe Type department who told
        >me that they had discovered that type embedded in pdf files seemed to image
        >a little thinner than the same type sent separately, with a file, to a
        >service bureau. They apparently never found out why. The difference is
        >minute, I'm sure. But it could be seen as a small and unexpected aid in
        >photopolymer derived letterpress work.
        >Brian

      • Phillip Driscoll
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
          Is this related to Linotype's face called "Monticello"?

          --Phillip Driscoll

        • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
            wrote:
            > Is this related to Linotype's face called "Monticello"?
            >
            > --Phillip Driscoll

            Phillip

            Here is a URL that will provide some information:

            http://printinghistory.org/htm/news/national/carter-creesy.htm

            The Carter face is based on a Binny & Ronaldson, which was later the
            inspiration for the Linotype. I don't know if Linotype had previously
            issued this in digital form.

            Gerald
          • Paul W Romaine <romaine@pipeline.com>
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
              Phillip,
              Yes! It's more than related to the Linotype "Monticello" type.
              Princeton University press commissioned a digital version from Matthew
              Carter and it will be licensed through Linotype. Should be out soon.

              "Monticello" is based upon Binny & Ronaldson's Roman no. 1 and ATF's
              "Oxford" (itself an adaption of B&R's Roman). It was named
              "Monticello" in tribute to Jefferson, who wrote approvingly of the B&R
              type in an 1822 letter. The American Printing History Association) has
              asked Carter and Charles Creesy from Princeton to speak about the
              history and adapation of the type at a Feb 25 lecture in New York at
              the Grolier Club. Details at the APHA website
              http://www.printinghistory.org/

              Best,
              Paul
              (who is also VP for Membership for APHA)

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Driscoll" <phild@a...>

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
                Gerald,
                Sorry for duplication in responses.

                I don't know if Linotype had previously digitized. I understand that
                Princeton University Press had a "crude Postscript version" for TyX
                setting, which was "unruly in Windows." Originally intended for
                proofing, PUP had produced the last few volumes of the Jefferson
                Papers in it because they had no alternative. I guess they could have
                switched to Bell or a similar Scotch Roman, or, more likely a Caslon
                or Baskerville.

                Matthew told me that he started with... oh, wait for the lecture. It's
                wonderful to hear how he used rare books to inform his re-working of
                his starting material.

                Best,
                Paul

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange <bieler@w...>"