replacing vandercook motor

  • Eileen Madden
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2010
      We need to replace the motor on a vandercook 4 anyone out there have
      any tips? The electrician seems very confident, which worries me.

      Thanks much,

      Eileen
    • Eric
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2010
        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Eileen Madden <emadden1@...> wrote:

        > We need to replace the motor on a vandercook 4 anyone out there have
        > any tips? The electrician seems very confident, which worries me.

        I got the impression from Fritz that an exact replacement is not made today (it is a pretty slow rpm). Maybe that is wrong, but rebuilding the motor is a possible alternative. For example, McKee & Strub in San Francsico do this work.
        The question has certainly been asked before on various lists, without a definative answer given.
        --Eric Holub, SF
      • CaseyM
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 6, 2010
          I would suggest you have it rebuilt. Finding a replacement motor may be difficult. When I had my Vandercook Uni l motor rebuilt the cost was $350.00.

          Casey
          Inky Lips Letterpress
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 6, 2010
            I'm wondering what I can do about the incredibly loud compressor on my 19" Challenge hydraulic cutter?

            I can't use it for more than 20 minutes at a time due to the volume.

            On 6 Oct 2010, at 7:13 AM, CaseyM wrote:

            > I would suggest you have it rebuilt. Finding a replacement motor may be difficult. When I had my Vandercook Uni l motor rebuilt the cost was $350.00.
            >
            > Casey
            > Inky Lips Letterpress

            Peter Fraterdeus
            Exquisite letterpress takes time™
            http://slowprint.com/

            IdeasWords : Idea Swords
            Communication Strategy
            Semiotx.com @ideaswords
          • Bill Denham
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 6, 2010
              The only solution I know of for the noise of air compressors is to move the noise as far away as possible, preferably in a small sound proof closet or tool room--still loud but livable. That's what I had to do with my hydraulic Malahide foil stamper years ago.

              Bill

              I'm wondering what I can do about the incredibly loud compressor on my 19" Challenge hydraulic cutter?

              I can't use it for more than 20 minutes at a time due to the volume.

              On 6 Oct 2010, at 7:13 AM, CaseyM wrote:

              > I would suggest you have it rebuilt. Finding a replacement motor may be difficult. When I had my Vandercook Uni l motor rebuilt the cost was $350.00.
              >
              > Casey
              > Inky Lips Letterpress

              Peter Fraterdeus
              Exquisite letterpress takes time™
              http://slowprint.com/

              IdeasWords : Idea Swords
              Communication Strategy
              Semiotx.com  @ideaswords

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  PPLetterpress-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Kim Vanderheiden
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 6, 2010
                I went through this twice on my Vandercook 4. The first time we opened the old engine and noticed there was a beautiful brass gear which was crushed. We machined a new gear, but within a year or so, we were having problems again.  The second time we just replaced the motor with a small one from Grainger. I'm not at the studio right now, but I can look up the model. As you've probably already discovered, the function of the motor is pretty simple. It just drives a bicycle chain that turns the ink drum. We've had no trouble with our motor since replacing it. We have had some issues with rollers chattering against eachother, but this seems to be caused by long time wear in the bearings and gears. I don't sense that it's caused by the specific speed that the motor turns the chain.

                You might be fine with the confident electrician. The first time, a friend who liked to work on his motorcycle helped me. The second time, it was an assistant from Hicks Brothers, which deals in old printing an bindery equipment in San Francisco. The mechanism is simple and both seemed to know what they were doing with it. And it was the used press dealer assistant who replaced the motor, which is the same course your electrician is taking. I think you're probably ok.

                Kim Vanderheiden

                Painted Tongue Studios
                Image + Words • Design + Art
                cell/main: 510.593.4221
                studio: 510.444.0458
                fax: 480.393.5653

                Read about us on Companiesandme
                See recent work on our blog
                Visit us on Facebook
                Find us on Yelp

              • author50401
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 7, 2010
                  You're correct in saying that the ink system drive motor can be fairly easily replaced. The motor Fritz may have been refering to is the drive motor for the carriage of the Universal and powered 219 models. It is a different animal, and can be replaced, but due to the gear reduction coupling, is a much more complicated procedure.

                  John H.

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Kim Vanderheiden <paintedtongue@...> wrote:

                  > I went through this twice on my Vandercook 4. The first time we opened
                  > the old engine and noticed there was a beautiful brass gear which was
                  > crushed. We machined a new gear, but within a year or so, we were
                  > having problems again. The second time we just replaced the motor
                  > with a small one from Grainger. I'm not at the studio right now, but I
                  > can look up the model. As you've probably already discovered, the
                  > function of the motor is pretty simple. It just drives a bicycle chain
                  > that turns the ink drum. We've had no trouble with our motor since
                  > replacing it. We have had some issues with rollers chattering against
                  > eachother, but this seems to be caused by long time wear in the
                  > bearings and gears. I don't sense that it's caused by the specific
                  > speed that the motor turns the chain.
                  >
                  > You might be fine with the confident electrician. The first time, a
                  > friend who liked to work on his motorcycle helped me. The second time,
                  > it was an assistant from Hicks Brothers, which deals in old printing
                  > an bindery equipment in San Francisco. The mechanism is simple and
                  > both seemed to know what they were doing with it. And it was the used
                  > press dealer assistant who replaced the motor, which is the same
                  > course your electrician is taking. I think you're probably ok.
                  >
                  > Kim Vanderheiden
                  >

                  > Painted Tongue Studios
                  > Image + Words • Design + Art
                  > www.paintedtonguepress.com
                  > www.kimvanderheiden.com
                  > cell/main: 510.593.4221
                  > studio: 510.444.0458
                  > fax: 480.393.5653
                  >
                  > Read about us on Companiesandme
                  > See recent work on our blog
                  > Visit us on Facebook
                  > Find us on Yelp

                • author50401
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 7, 2010
                    The noise in the Challenge Cutter is not an air compressor, but rather a hydraulic pump. It should not be extremely noisy, although certainly it does make some noise when in good repair. There must be something loose or bearings which need replacement. You should be able to take it to an hydraulic systems repair shop (or have someone come in to check it over.

                    John Henry

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 7, 2010
                      Hi John

                      Thanks for the note. It's not rattling except in the general sense of startlingly loud.
                      Everything seems to work perfectly, so I think it's just the nature of the thing.

                      Noise-canceling earphones have been suggested.