Re: Prepress-ready PDFs

  • Paul W Romaine <romaine@pipeline.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 4, 2003
      Thanks, Gerald

      This is very helpful. Adobe's documentation (what documentation?!)
      with Acrobat 5 is so skimpy that you wouldn't know the differences
      between Distiller and Writer.

      Interestingly, the book _The Adobe InDesign Guide_ (Hayden, 2000), by
      Mark Witkowski and Trish Boyle, describes a composite PDF-based
      workflow (pp. 317 ff.). Seems like a good book. I wouldn't say that
      Witkowski and Boyle exactly portray a pre-press future that's so
      bright that you'll need sunglasses, but there are elements of that.
      It's great to have everything in one file and automate a lot of the
      checks. It's convenient to have the ability to save as PDF for
      printing and re-save with lower res for web or CD distribution. As
      they write: "The key to this file transfer [from designer to printer]
      is the PDF file. This is the file that the designer looked at,
      proofed, and accepted before transfer. The PDF file format will
      include all image data and fonts. It is also highly standardized so
      that output to several devices will not vary on the incoming data." I
      wonder, though. On Amazon'd feedback for InDesign I saw one person's
      complaints about sluggishness of ID compared to Quark on a RIP. Any
      thoughts? (I realize that this somewhat departs from PPP, but I'm
      dealing with a PP printer who uses Quark and doesn't like PDF.)

      And from a librarian/conservation perspective (my own), PDF is a
      problematic format for archiving as long as it remains proprietary and
      subject to change. Anyone try to open some WordStar or MS-Word for DOS
      files lately?

      Best,
      Paul

      Paul W. Romaine
      http://home.pipeline.com/~romaine
    • Brian Allen
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2003
        I mentioned in a message to Gerald a few weeks ago that we (Agfa Monotype
        font group) had hired recently hired a former Adobe Type department who told
        me that they had discovered that type embedded in pdf files seemed to image
        a little thinner than the same type sent separately, with a file, to a
        service bureau. They apparently never found out why. The difference is
        minute, I'm sure. But it could be seen as a small and unexpected aid in
        photopolymer derived letterpress work.
        Brian
        ----------
        on 2/4/03 10:08 AM, Gerald Lange <bieler@...> at
        bieler@... wrote:

        > Here is a link to a recent article on creating prepress-ready PDF
        > files. Brian Allen has suggested that this may be the best format in
        > which to send your files to the service bureau as the output may be a
        > bit more refined (according to an Adobe rep). I can't remember the
        > exact context of the information. Perhaps Brian would care to comment
        > further.
        >
        > http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/18736.html?cprose=4-05

        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > • Encountering problems? contact:
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > • To unsubscribe:

      • Paul W. Romaine
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
          Brian-
          Thanks on these fascinating comments on PDF. I'm working on a photopolymer
          keepsake using Matthew Carter's soon-to-be released "Monticello" and Carter
          provided a thinned version because he knew we would be doing letterpress.
          Carter specifically cited Gerald's comments on "Manutius/Miller" in
          _Printing History_ 42 (Volume XXI, No. 2).

          Best,
          Paul

          > Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 21:38:11 -0800
          > From: Brian Allen <allenprinter@...>
          >Subject: Re: Prepress-ready PDFs
          >
          >I mentioned in a message to Gerald a few weeks ago that we (Agfa Monotype
          >font group) had hired recently hired a former Adobe Type department who told
          >me that they had discovered that type embedded in pdf files seemed to image
          >a little thinner than the same type sent separately, with a file, to a
          >service bureau. They apparently never found out why. The difference is
          >minute, I'm sure. But it could be seen as a small and unexpected aid in
          >photopolymer derived letterpress work.
          >Brian

        • Phillip Driscoll
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
            Is this related to Linotype's face called "Monticello"?

            --Phillip Driscoll

          • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
              wrote:
              > Is this related to Linotype's face called "Monticello"?
              >
              > --Phillip Driscoll

              Phillip

              Here is a URL that will provide some information:

              http://printinghistory.org/htm/news/national/carter-creesy.htm

              The Carter face is based on a Binny & Ronaldson, which was later the
              inspiration for the Linotype. I don't know if Linotype had previously
              issued this in digital form.

              Gerald
            • Paul W Romaine <romaine@pipeline.com>
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
                Phillip,
                Yes! It's more than related to the Linotype "Monticello" type.
                Princeton University press commissioned a digital version from Matthew
                Carter and it will be licensed through Linotype. Should be out soon.

                "Monticello" is based upon Binny & Ronaldson's Roman no. 1 and ATF's
                "Oxford" (itself an adaption of B&R's Roman). It was named
                "Monticello" in tribute to Jefferson, who wrote approvingly of the B&R
                type in an 1822 letter. The American Printing History Association) has
                asked Carter and Charles Creesy from Princeton to speak about the
                history and adapation of the type at a Feb 25 lecture in New York at
                the Grolier Club. Details at the APHA website
                http://www.printinghistory.org/

                Best,
                Paul
                (who is also VP for Membership for APHA)

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Phillip Driscoll" <phild@a...>

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 5, 2003
                  Gerald,
                  Sorry for duplication in responses.

                  I don't know if Linotype had previously digitized. I understand that
                  Princeton University Press had a "crude Postscript version" for TyX
                  setting, which was "unruly in Windows." Originally intended for
                  proofing, PUP had produced the last few volumes of the Jefferson
                  Papers in it because they had no alternative. I guess they could have
                  switched to Bell or a similar Scotch Roman, or, more likely a Caslon
                  or Baskerville.

                  Matthew told me that he started with... oh, wait for the lecture. It's
                  wonderful to hear how he used rare books to inform his re-working of
                  his starting material.

                  Best,
                  Paul

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Gerald Lange <bieler@w...>"