Moving A Chandler & Price?

  • sdanijones
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 2, 2010
      Okay so I am buying a C&P tomorrow for $375 from a printing shop that is going out of business. 1) Is that a good price? and 2) How do I move it? If you guys could help me in figuring out what steps i should take in order to move it. Please let me know. I included a link to the posting where I'm buying it from so you can have an idea.

      http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bfs/1935340295.html

      Please help!
    • okintertype
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2010
        That is a good price; lower than average. To move I would first install some 4 x 4s under the press and bolt them on. It will weigh about 1500 lbs. The next step depends on what you have available in the way of equipment; forklift, pallet jack, come-along and pipe. It can be done. Just remember it is top heavy. Try to get someone with experience to help you.
        Stan

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "sdanijones" <sdanijones@...> wrote:

        > Okay so I am buying a C&P tomorrow for $375 from a printing shop that is going out of business. 1) Is that a good price? and 2) How do I move it? If you guys could help me in figuring out what steps i should take in order to move it. Please let me know. I included a link to the posting where I'm buying it from so you can have an idea.
        >
        > http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/bfs/1935340295.html
        >
        > Please help!

      • Carl Youngmann
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2010
          Your new press looks a lot like one I had. First, I think the weight is closer to 1000 than 1500 lbs., and second, it already appears to be mounted on 2x4 skids. I don't think there is any need to replace those with 4x4's. If you can move it without having to change levels (that is, not or go up or down stairs, or over a threshold) then a pallet jack is the easiest way.

          However, a C&P can be disassembled. There may be a key or two that is stuck and you would need to drill and tap it to insert a bolt to withdraw the key, but it can be done. You can get the press into pieces with the heaviest weighting about 150 lbs. I did  this several times to move ours.

          That is a good price; lower than average. To move I would first install some 4 x 4s under the press and bolt them on. It will weigh about 1500 lbs. The next step depends on what you have available in the way of equipment; forklift, pallet jack, come-along and pipe. It can be done. Just remember it is top heavy. Try to get someone with experience to help you.
          Stan
          __

          Carl Youngmann
          Chiwaukum Press
          PORT TOWNSEND, WASHINGTON

        • Fritz Klinke
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2010
            C&P listed the 10x15 New Series at a net weight of 1500 lbs, shipping weight of 1630 lbs. Removal of attached motors and ink plate/ink fountain will lessen that somewhat. Pipe rollers are safest and easiest on flat, hard surfaces, assuming press is bolted to stout runners. 4x4s are best, we recently moved my 10x15 lag bolted to 2x6 material and the combination of pipe rollers, fork lift, and low profile pallet jack. Don't take apart a press unless there is some compelling reason to do so.

            Fritz

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2010
              In the past week our press has started making a slight squeak somewhere around the air pump. We assume it's the pump because when we put the press into feed position the sound stops.

              We've oiled and greased everything but nothing seems to work

              Anyone have any good ideas?

              bryan hutcheson
              - manifesto letterpress
              - industrie standard
              - holyoke fine papers

              4 open square way, L101
              holyoke, ma 01040
              p:413.532.3360
              f:413.532.3387
              _________________________________
              full-service commercial letterpress
                   announcements
                   stationery
                   packaging
                   posters

            • dorothy lee
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2010
                Who can I talk to about gettig a printing press machine for a litte bit of money for a non-profit organzation?  And, a place here in Los Angeles County that does printing tee shirts for less?

                Thank you

                Dorothy Lee

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2010
                  You want to print T-shirts on a letterpress? --Scott

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 5, 2010
                    I teach a screen printing class at a community college here in LA and depending on the complexity of the design I could have the students print the shirts and we can use the money for supplies.

                    Bert Johnson

                    E-mail me directly if you might be interested.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 5, 2010
                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Hutcheson <bryan@...> wrote:

                      > In the past week our press has started making a slight squeak
                      > somewhere around the air pump. We assume it's the pump because when
                      > we put the press into feed position the sound stops.

                      Where exactly in the cycle does it squeak? While piston is compressing, withdrawing, or is it continuous?
                      Does the sound change if you open or close the auxiliary air controls for powder or sheet delivery blast, or change the pump relief valve? Is the air-filter clean?
                      --Eric Holub, SF
                    • Bryan Hutcheson
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 5, 2010
                        Eric
                        Thanks for your response....

                        the squeak happens right when the sheet is released from the suckers. It's just a brief, but very loud squeak. I pulled off the oil nut on the front of the pump and the sound goes away so I assume it has something to do with pressure on the blast cycle.  When I put my finger over the open hole the sound comes back.

                        We also tried pulling off the filter and feed hose. That didn't stop the squeak. So it seems to be something in the blast cycle of the pump, which goes away when the press is put in feed and impression positions.

                        Thinking it was the pump, I pulled it apart last week, cleaned and lubed it.

                        The sound is definitely coming from the inside of the pump. But we just can't locate the cause.

                        Cheers!

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 8, 2010
                          --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Hutcheson <bryan@...> wrote:

                          > the squeak happens right when the sheet is released from the suckers.

                          I cycled my KS today, and that seems to be the point where the "clack valve" is struck and the piston is pretty much all the way out.
                          Could you stop the press and push the clack valve in manually, and replicate the squeak?
                          Is the sound definitely metallic, or could it be one of those pneumatic squeaks (whistles)?

                          > It's just a brief, but very loud squeak. I pulled off the oil nut on
                          > the front of the pump and the sound goes away so I assume it has
                          > something to do with pressure on the blast cycle. When I put my
                          > finger over the open hole the sound comes back.
                          >
                          > We also tried pulling off the filter and feed hose. That didn't stop
                          > the squeak. So it seems to be something in the blast cycle of the
                          > pump, which goes away when the press is put in feed and impression
                          > positions.
                          >
                          > Thinking it was the pump, I pulled it apart last week, cleaned and
                          > lubed it.
                          >
                          > The sound is definitely coming from the inside of the pump. But we
                          > just can't locate the cause.

                          Maybe a mechanic's stethoscope would help pinpoint the source.

                          --Eric Holub, SF