  • Katelynn Corrigan
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2010
      Hi Jon,

      Can't suggest a wash for you because I work in a commercial shop with lots of smelly chemical solvents that would be unsuitable for hobby shop use. I can, however, suggest that if you're satisfied how your wash works as a roller wash but not how it works as a plate wash, you may want to consider getting a SECOND solvent to use on the stone. (This is the system in our shop. California Exempt Wash for the rollers and Rubber & Plastic Plate Wash on the composing stone.)

      In regards to skinning ink- its inevitable with oil based ink. Instead of using plastic wrap, cut a disc with pull tabs out of a scrap of tympan paper. Use this on top of the ink, and instead of removing the skin every time you print, simply lift the skin up attached to the paper, and then replace it when you're through. This way you don't waste ink by letting a new skin form every time.

      You may want to consider looking for a rubber or acrylic based ink instead- they do not skin. Rather, they get uniformly thicker as they age. You may have chosen not to use rubber based ink due to ecological concerns- but I will say that in my experience soy based inks skin worse than any others (and thus create more waste ink in the trash can).  Rubber and acrylic inks are slightly less versitle than oil based inks (they cannot be used on coated paper or that plastic Stardream stuff), but are overall more user friendly.

      Be well,

      -Katey