Re: Fountain Dividers

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 20, 2010
      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, matthew lamoureux <lamsland@...> wrote:

      > Rubber tabs on top of the ink roller, like on the fountain ductor of an offset
      > press, would not work as the ink is metered from the fountain to the ink roller
      > through the bottom turn of the fountain roller.

      Since this is an international list, this brings up another point of terminology.
      Americans refer to the ink (or water) fountain roller, and the ductor roller that carries ink to the distributors. British usage is ink duct rather than fountain, duct roller rather than fountain roller, and a lifter to transfer ink to the distributors. (I've also seen references to "waver' rollers, but don't recall if they are lifters or oscillators, also known as vibrators.)
      Heidelberg manuals follow this differing usage based on intended market.
      --Eric Holub, SF