Typical 19th century Pressroom Layout

  • Anita
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 12, 2010
      Hey there, it's me again, the historical romance writer... Yes, I'm still plugging away at my story (had to rewrite a large portion of it.)

      I've chosen to give my heroine the job of proof reader since I believe she'll get inky enough that way. However, I have some further questions:

      - would the compositors and proof readers be located on the same floor as the presses?

      - would the presses be located on the ground floor? I'm assuming so because of their weight and the absence of electricity in 1879 St Louis that would be needed to run the elevators. But that's just a guess.

      - what type of ink would they be using. ie what would it smell like

      - I realize the ink is permanent, but would there be a way to diminish its effects on her skin?

      Any help would be appreciated, again. :)

      Thank you,

      Anita Mae Draper.
    • Robert T
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 12, 2010
        In a typical metropolitan shop, the presses would probably be on the 1st floor with business offices, the basement would contain the boilers for the steam for heat and to power the overhead shafts that connected to the machinery by leather belts. The composing and proof rooms might be on the 2nd floor with any stereo equipment that might have been needed.

        The only ink a proofreader encountered was from wet ink on fresh-pulled proofs. A well-equipped proofreader would have black sleeve protectors, a green plastic eye shade, a cushion for their chair, magnets to hold proof and copy to the metal tilt-up desk top, a good hand lotion which makes it easier to wash off the ink from their hands from the "wet" proofs, plenty of material to clean their glasses with etc.

        The ink would probably smell like todays oil-based inks.

        Hope this helps.

        ~ Bob Turner

      • one@onefootinfront.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 12, 2010
          I've heard that the term grease monkey's came form the kids that would
          climb up to the main steam/pulley shaft and grease the pulley's

          fun note

          > In a typical metropolitan shop, the presses would probably be on the 1st
          > floor with business offices, the basement would contain the boilers for
          > the steam for heat and to power the overhead shafts that connected to the
          > machinery by leather belts. The composing and proof rooms might be on the
          > 2nd floor with any stereo equipment that might have been needed.
          >
          > The only ink a proofreader encountered was from wet ink on fresh-pulled
          > proofs. A well-equipped proofreader would have black sleeve protectors, a
          > green plastic eye shade, a cushion for their chair, magnets to hold proof
          > and copy to the metal tilt-up desk top, a good hand lotion which makes it
          > easier to wash off the ink from their hands from the "wet" proofs, plenty
          > of material to clean their glasses with etc.
          >
          > The ink would probably smell like todays oil-based inks.
          >
          > Hope this helps.
          >
          > ~ Bob Turner
          >

          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Anita" <anitamaedraper@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hey there, it's me again, the historical romance writer... Yes, I'm
          >> still plugging away at my story (had to rewrite a large portion of it.)
          >>
          >> I've chosen to give my heroine the job of proof reader since I believe
          >> she'll get inky enough that way. However, I have some further questions:
          >>
          >> - would the compositors and proof readers be located on the same floor
          >> as the presses?
          >>
          >> - would the presses be located on the ground floor? I'm assuming so
          >> because of their weight and the absence of electricity in 1879 St Louis
          >> that would be needed to run the elevators. But that's just a guess.
          >>
          >> - what type of ink would they be using. ie what would it smell like
          >>
          >> - I realize the ink is permanent, but would there be a way to diminish
          >> its effects on her skin?
          >>
          >> Any help would be appreciated, again. :)
          >>
          >> Thank you,
          >>
          >> Anita Mae Draper.

        • Anita Draper
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 12, 2010
            Hey Bob, yes, it helps considerably. Question, though... why the green visor? It's not like they were outside. And they only had gas light and I wouldn't think it'd be too bright. Or was it?

            And I thought of another question... what were their aprons made of... was there as standard fabric ... leather?  Canvas? Oilcloth?

            Did the employees have to provide their own aprons? Maybe it varied from company to company.

            I've been checking the books, websites and You Tube videos and they're all different so I'm thinking there wasn't a standard and that everyone brought their own apron to work.

            And yes, onefootinfront... I just read a blog this morning about the grease monkeys. Fascinating and sad.

            Thanks, Very helpful info.

            Anita Mae.

            www.anitamaedraper.blogspot.com
            www.prairiechickswriteromance.blogspot.com
            www.twitter.com/anitamaedraper
            www.inkwellinspirations.blogspot.com

            I've heard that the term grease monkey's came form the kids that would
            climb up to the main steam/pulley shaft and grease the pulley's

            fun note

            > In a typical metropolitan shop, the presses would probably be on the 1st
            > floor with business offices, the basement would contain the boilers for
            > the steam for heat and to power the overhead shafts that connected to the
            > machinery by leather belts. The composing and proof rooms might be on the
            > 2nd floor with any stereo equipment that might have been needed.
            >
            > The only ink a proofreader encountered was from wet ink on fresh-pulled
            > proofs. A well-equipped proofreader would have black sleeve protectors, a
            > green plastic eye shade, a cushion for their chair, magnets to hold proof
            > and copy to the metal tilt-up desk top, a good hand lotion which makes it
            > easier to wash off the ink from their hands from the "wet" proofs,
            plenty
            > of material to clean their glasses with etc.
            >
            > The ink would probably smell like todays oil-based inks.
            >
            > Hope this helps.
            >
            > ~ Bob Turner
            >

            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Anita" <anitamaedraper@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Hey there, it's me again, the historical romance writer... Yes, I'm
            >> still plugging away at my story (had to rewrite a large portion of it.)
            >>
            >> I've chosen to give my heroine the job of proof reader since I believe
            >> she'll get inky enough that way. However, I have some further questions:
            >>
            >> - would the compositors and proof readers be located on the same floor
            >> as the presses?
            >>
            >> - would the presses be located on
            the ground floor? I'm assuming so
            >> because of their weight and the absence of electricity in 1879 St Louis
            >> that would be needed to run the elevators. But that's just a guess.
            >>
            >> - what type of ink would they be using. ie what would it smell like
            >>
            >> - I realize the ink is permanent, but would there be a way to diminish
            >> its effects on her skin?
            >>
            >> Any help would be appreciated, again. :)
            >>
            >> Thank you,
            >>
            >> Anita Mae Draper.

          • Jeff Shay
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 12, 2010
              Question, though... why the green visor? It's not like they were outside. And they only had gas light and I wouldn't think it'd be too bright. Or was it?

              In the latter half of the 19th century gas light was quite bright because rather than an open flame they used a mantle type burner similar to what is used on a modern Coleman lantern. Plus, when the electric light bulb was introduced, the bulbs were clear, hence somewhat harsh, though they didn't achieve the light output of gas until the early 20th century.

            • Anita Draper
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 12, 2010
                Wow. Thanks, Jeff.

                Anita Mae.

                www.anitamaedraper.blogspot.com
                www.prairiechickswriteromance.blogspot.com
                www.twitter.com/anitamaedraper
                www.inkwellinspirations.blogspot.com

                Question, though... why the green visor? It's not like they were outside. And they only had gas light and I wouldn't think it'd be too bright. Or was it?

                In the latter half of the 19th century gas light was quite bright because rather than an open flame they used a mantle type burner similar to what is used on a modern Coleman lantern. Plus, when the electric light bulb was introduced, the bulbs were clear, hence somewhat harsh, though they didn't achieve the light output of gas until the early 20th century.

              • Scott Rubel
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 12, 2010
                  This is probably correct, except for green plastic in 1879.

                  On Sep 12, 2010, at 2:09 PM, Robert T wrote:

                  > In a typical metropolitan shop, the presses would probably be on the
                  > 1st floor with business offices, the basement would contain the
                  > boilers for the steam for heat and to power the overhead shafts that
                  > connected to the machinery by leather belts. The composing and proof
                  > rooms might be on the 2nd floor with any stereo equipment that might
                  > have been needed.
                  >
                  > The only ink a proofreader encountered was from wet ink on fresh-
                  > pulled proofs. A well-equipped proofreader would have black sleeve
                  > protectors, a green plastic eye shade, a cushion for their chair,
                  > magnets to hold proof and copy to the metal tilt-up desk top, a good
                  > hand lotion which makes it easier to wash off the ink from their
                  > hands from the "wet" proofs, plenty of material to clean their
                  > glasses with etc.
                  >
                  > The ink would probably smell like todays oil-based inks.
                  >
                  > Hope this helps.
                  >
                  > ~ Bob Turner
                  >

                  > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Anita" <anitamaedraper@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Hey there, it's me again, the historical romance writer... Yes, I'm
                  >> still plugging away at my story (had to rewrite a large portion of
                  >> it.)
                  >>
                  >> I've chosen to give my heroine the job of proof reader since I
                  >> believe she'll get inky enough that way. However, I have some
                  >> further questions:
                  >>
                  >> - would the compositors and proof readers be located on the same
                  >> floor as the presses?
                  >>
                  >> - would the presses be located on the ground floor? I'm assuming so
                  >> because of their weight and the absence of electricity in 1879 St
                  >> Louis that would be needed to run the elevators. But that's just a
                  >> guess.
                  >>
                  >> - what type of ink would they be using. ie what would it smell like
                  >>
                  >> - I realize the ink is permanent, but would there be a way to
                  >> diminish its effects on her skin?
                  >>
                  >> Any help would be appreciated, again. :)
                  >>
                  >> Thank you,
                  >>
                  >> Anita Mae Draper.

                • Anita Draper
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 12, 2010
                    LOL - Good point, Scott!

                    I was so busy worrying about her apron, I didn't think about her head. :D

                  • Robert T
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 12, 2010
                      The green part was made from celluloid or something similar. I believe the aprons were made of light canvas or denim. The printers were usually responsible for their aprons. Some lucky ones got freebies from the ink and paper companies. Sometimes the lady proofreaders would make extra money sewing aprons for the guys. Proofreaders didn't wear aprons.
                      ~ Bob Turner

                      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Anita Draper <anitamaedraper@...> wrote:

                      > Hey Bob, yes, it helps considerably. Question, though... why the green visor?
                      > It's not like they were outside. And they only had gas light and I wouldn't
                      > think it'd be too bright. Or was it?
                      >
                      > And I thought of another question... what were their aprons made of... was there
                      > as standard fabric ... leather?  Canvas? Oilcloth?
                      >

                      > Did the employees have to provide their own aprons? Maybe it varied from company
                      > to company.
                      >
                      > I've been checking the books, websites and You Tube videos and they're all
                      > different so I'm thinking there wasn't a standard and that everyone brought
                      > their own apron to work.
                      >
                      > And yes, onefootinfront... I just read a blog this morning about the grease
                      > monkeys. Fascinating and sad.
                      >

                      > Thanks, Very helpful info.
                      >
                      > Anita Mae.
                      >  www.anitamaedraper.blogspot.com
                      > www.prairiechickswriteromance.blogspot.com
                      > www.twitter.com/anitamaedraper
                      > www.inkwellinspirations.blogspot.com
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Michael
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 12, 2010
                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Anita" <anitamaedraper@...>
                        On the matter of smell - the greatest one would have been that of cigarette smoke... with a slightly sour smell of fresh paper... the linseed oil of ink... the hot mineral oil of typesetting and casting machinery... only quite a large printing office would have had specialist proofreaders, let alone trusting a woman with that sort of task... women were almost exclusively employed in the office, and finishing - collating, book binding, packing.

                        wrote:

                        > Hey there, it's me again, the historical romance writer... Yes, I'm still plugging away at my story (had to rewrite a large portion of it.)
                        >
                        > I've chosen to give my heroine the job of proof reader since I believe she'll get inky enough that way. However, I have some further questions:
                        >
                        > - would the compositors and proof readers be located on the same floor as the presses?
                        >
                        > - would the presses be located on the ground floor? I'm assuming so because of their weight and the absence of electricity in 1879 St Louis that would be needed to run the elevators. But that's just a guess.
                        >
                        > - what type of ink would they be using. ie what would it smell like
                        >
                        > - I realize the ink is permanent, but would there be a way to diminish its effects on her skin?
                        >
                        > Any help would be appreciated, again. :)
                        >
                        > Thank you,
                        >
                        > Anita Mae Draper.

                      • Scott Rubel
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 12, 2010
                          Well, I'm not going to spend too much time googling around, but there
                          sure doesn't seem to be a date on the invention of green visors in any
                          of the obvious sources of information. They just indicate "late
                          1900s." Even though 1879 may count as late 1900s, it may be safer to
                          assume that, even if the visors were invented by then, they may be
                          very uncommon. Another clue as to their use was that they were
                          advertised as being soothing for the eyes with incandescent lighting.
                          So, that may make these visor even more rare in 1879.

                          St. Louis seems to have been a large enough city by then that whatever
                          trends in female employment were in practice in New York or San
                          Francisco, they probably were in St. Louis as well.

                          --Scott

                          On Sep 12, 2010, at 7:37 PM, Michael wrote:

                          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Anita" <anitamaedraper@...>
                          > On the matter of smell - the greatest one would have been that of
                          > cigarette smoke... with a slightly sour smell of fresh paper... the
                          > linseed oil of ink... the hot mineral oil of typesetting and casting
                          > machinery... only quite a large printing office would have had
                          > specialist proofreaders, let alone trusting a woman with that sort
                          > of task... women were almost exclusively employed in the office, and
                          > finishing - collating, book binding, packing.
                          >
                          > wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Hey there, it's me again, the historical romance writer... Yes, I'm
                          >> still plugging away at my story (had to rewrite a large portion of
                          >> it.)
                          >>
                          >> I've chosen to give my heroine the job of proof reader since I
                          >> believe she'll get inky enough that way. However, I have some
                          >> further questions:
                          >>
                          >> - would the compositors and proof readers be located on the same
                          >> floor as the presses?
                          >>
                          >> - would the presses be located on the ground floor? I'm assuming so
                          >> because of their weight and the absence of electricity in 1879 St
                          >> Louis that would be needed to run the elevators. But that's just a
                          >> guess.
                          >>
                          >> - what type of ink would they be using. ie what would it smell like
                          >>
                          >> - I realize the ink is permanent, but would there be a way to
                          >> diminish its effects on her skin?
                          >>
                          >> Any help would be appreciated, again. :)
                          >>
                          >> Thank you,
                          >>
                          >> Anita Mae Draper.

                        • Russ Wiecking - Wood and Metal Craft
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 12, 2010
                            Green visors could have come along shortly after the invention of
                            celluloid (movie film) in the 1860s, but probably no sooner.

                            On Sep 12, 2010, at 7:56 PM, Scott Rubel wrote:

                            > Well, I'm not going to spend too much time googling around, but there
                            > sure doesn't seem to be a date on the invention of green visors in any
                            > of the obvious sources of information. They just indicate "late
                            > 1900s." Even though 1879 may count as late 1900s, it may be safer to
                            > assume that, even if the visors were invented by then, they may be
                            > very uncommon. Another clue as to their use was that they were
                            > advertised as being soothing for the eyes with incandescent lighting.
                            > So, that may make these visor even more rare in 1879.

                          • Eric
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 13, 2010
                              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Robert T" <robtfturner@...> wrote:

                              > The ink would probably smell like todays oil-based inks.

                              Is this hypothectical shop a general printing office, a newspaper, a book-and-job shop, or what? If just a newspaper, it is another matter. At least into the 1970s, cylinder news ink was not linseed-oil based, and had no volatile aromatics in it, just pigment and a mineral oil vehicle. Today I cracked open a can of cylinder news ink from about 1976; no skin, just a little oil on the surface, and no odor in the can, maybe a little earthy smell when tapped between the fingers. And this was also the kind of ink preferred for proofing, since it would stay open on the slab forever. This kind of ink dries by the vehicle absorbing into the newsprint, but the pigment sitting on the surface is easily transferred onto the hands or clothes. Newsprint was the common stock for galley proofs, often dampened before proofing, so damp newsprint could be the dominant smell of a fresh proof.
                              --Eric Holub, SF
                            • Anita Draper
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 13, 2010
                                Eric - Thank you. Yes, it is a newspaper. I'm loosely modeling it on the St. Louis Dispatch Post.

                                Katey - I understand your concern and trust me when I say I've seen much to prove women were a dominant work force in the Printing world. I have a book which backs up a website that states women were preferred over men in the typesetting department because of their smaller, agile fingers, as well as the fact they were more responsible since men were often inebriated. I don't know what that's all about but it sounds good to me. :)

                                Matt - Thank you for sending the image and info. I won't need it for this book but I'll keep it on file for the future. I'm finding this whole subject fascinating.

                                Re the apron - I've seen photos with men and women wearing them and not wearing them. I believe it is like Eric says, and certain publishers have more ink for the proofers than others.

                                Since PPL put me on the idea of a proofer, I've been doing more research and I'm actually astounded with the amount of photos that show people doing all sorts of composition and pressroom activities wearing white. It almost makes me think they were told to show up for work in white for 'Picture Day' so they would stand out against the dark backgrounds.

                                Based on the above, and since this is fiction, I'm toying with the idea of having Emma show up for work with an apron and be a trend-setter. After all, throughout the book, she's very curious and getting into all sorts of scraps. Her trials in the book are such that she's been ostracized in her hometown. She's used to being stared at and she's on a budget. Wearing an apron to protect her clothes would be something I see as a natural extension of her - a practical solution for a problem.

                                Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. Your help has been invaluable.

                                Anita.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 14, 2010
                                  It's a fun project to try to help with. The idea of official work clothes back then wasn't universal. Companies did not provide uniforms and people wore what they could afford. Since going to church was a big part of life, people with limited incomes often didn't have too many changes in clothes, so you do see a lot of pictures from that period with people wearing white. Of course, the pictures are not color, so what appears "white" could be any shade of grey, natural, tan.

                                  I work in a building in Pasadena that was completed in 1912. The photographs documenting the construction show a surprising number of men shoveling dirt and cutting wood while wearing white shirts and bow ties.

                                  Only some of them have some sort of apron over them.

                                  I'm glad that you are putting in such an effort to being accurate, even in a fiction story. Women are just beginning to get the credit they deserve for building this country. After driving Conestoga wagons across the mountains and plains, popular literature argued against women driving cars. Something really odd happened in the Victorian age where part of embracing our new modernity and civilization was portraying (or allowing) women to be delicate.

                                  --Scott