Re: [PPLetterpress] Mysterious nicks?

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
      Michael

      My suspicion, at least in regard to the Sistina, is that with the slight
      nicks this would allow ink spread to be contained within the outline
      (the nicks would eventually fill during a normal commercial run on high
      production presses), while allowing access ink a place to run off (thus
      preventing ink spread). I'm guessing though, as I can see no other
      reason for this. I've read about this previously, a long while ago, but
      have since lost the reference. Thus this query.

      Gerald

      Michael Russem wrote:

      >Gerald,
      >
      >What exactly is an 'ink drain' in type? Taken literally,
      >I can infer a meaning, but I'm not sure why or how
      >ink should 'drain' from the face of type.
      >

      >Michael

    • Hrant H Papazian
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
        From: "Gerald Lange
        > The largest size of Sistina (60 or 72)
        > has many, many tiny nicks cast into
        > the outline of the face.

        Could we see exactly what these look like?
        Smoke proofs preferred. :-)

        hhp
      • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
          Hrant

          I'll bring a copy of the printed piece for you to look at, or maybe
          I'll scan the piece and put it up here as a PDF. But the mystery has
          been solved. Jerry Kelly has informed me that Zapf indeed wanted the
          Sistina to have a roughened edge. And while not all that apparent to
          the eye the smaller sizes carry the characteristic as well.

          Gerald