Re: [PPLetterpress] board shear question

  • Ion Gorun
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19, 2010
      We recently moved one, from the second floor of a building that didn't have an elevator (so we had to use the stairs), up into a truck and then to our workshop. We disassembled it:
      - took out the weight (nearly 30 kilos) - it was the toughest part to move, we used some solid rope to be able to carry it with two people
      - carefully took out the blades (both of them) and protected them in board
      - separated the table from the legs

      We were four people to perform this operation, and we only used "human power" for the stairs and a pallet jack where the land was flat. All of us wore protection gloves.

      It must be a better way to do it, but that was the one we used, and it was OK.

      Best,
      Ion

      2010/8/20 barb tetenbaum <btetenbaum@...>
      Hi all,
      Please excuse cross-postings, and the fact that I'm asking a bindery equipment question from a group of letterpress printers, but I know one of you has the answer:

      We are moving a standard jacques shears (cast iron legs and table) into our school studio. We are not hiring an equipment mover to do this as we think we can get it to the door on our own. The question is how to get it through the door. Neither end of it will fit if it goes in flat. If we tip it on end, it can fit through....have any of you done this? How is it best handled and what are the dangers of this move? What equipment will we need?

      Looking forward to your suggestions,

      Barb Tetenbaum
      Oregon College of Art and Craft

      <*> Your email settings: