Re: [PPLetterpress] Mysterious nicks?

  • Michael Russem
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
      Gerald,

      What exactly is an 'ink drain' in type? Taken literally,
      I can infer a meaning, but I'm not sure why or how
      ink should 'drain' from the face of type.

      Michael
      --
      Kat Ran Press
      221 Pine Street #1G5
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        Michael

        My suspicion, at least in regard to the Sistina, is that with the slight
        nicks this would allow ink spread to be contained within the outline
        (the nicks would eventually fill during a normal commercial run on high
        production presses), while allowing access ink a place to run off (thus
        preventing ink spread). I'm guessing though, as I can see no other
        reason for this. I've read about this previously, a long while ago, but
        have since lost the reference. Thus this query.

        Gerald

        Michael Russem wrote:

        >Gerald,
        >
        >What exactly is an 'ink drain' in type? Taken literally,
        >I can infer a meaning, but I'm not sure why or how
        >ink should 'drain' from the face of type.
        >

        >Michael

      • Hrant H Papazian
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
          From: "Gerald Lange
          > The largest size of Sistina (60 or 72)
          > has many, many tiny nicks cast into
          > the outline of the face.

          Could we see exactly what these look like?
          Smoke proofs preferred. :-)

          hhp
        • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
            Hrant

            I'll bring a copy of the printed piece for you to look at, or maybe
            I'll scan the piece and put it up here as a PDF. But the mystery has
            been solved. Jerry Kelly has informed me that Zapf indeed wanted the
            Sistina to have a roughened edge. And while not all that apparent to
            the eye the smaller sizes carry the characteristic as well.

            Gerald