How to choose a plate material? (in theory)

  • Katelynn Corrigan
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4 6:22 AM
      Hi,

      Reading the current conversation on problems with plates separating from their backing has gotten me thinking- WHY do we use the material we use and HOW can we better select a material for our type of work and platemaker?

      Are there certain materials that work better with certain platemakers?

      I know from experience that different materials hold up differently over time. Some are doomed to bend and crack. Others, like Nyloprint, are stable for years and years. But when the nature of your work is one-off stuff, its probably not worth the extra expense of Nyloprint.

      It would be great if there was a resource for the specifications and reviews for various brands and types of plate material. Maybe this exists and someone will point me in that direction. Or perhaps it doesn't, and I'd like to help make it happen.

      Be well,

      -Katey
    • Bryan Hutcheson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4 8:02 AM
        One important thing to keep in mind is relative humidity in your shop and plate storage. At our last location (Katey will remember) we had terrible problems with the air being way too dry, especially in the winter. Plates curled and cracked like crazy, due to the relative lack of humidity. At our current location, with a canal 15 ft below our windows, and a canal that runs directly under our building for hydro power, our plates tend to hold very well. It is a  remarkably noticeable difference.

        It's worth noting that we've used the same plate material from the same vendor for almost 5 years now, sometimes going through as many as 40 A3 plates a week. All things being stable is absolutely important. The effects of a canal running under our shop is a bonus we didn't anticipate...it's like having a large humidifier since one of the hydro wheels is right outside our backdoor.

        bryan hutcheson
        - manifesto letterpress
        - industrie standard
        - holyoke fine papers

        4 open square way, L101
        holyoke, ma 01040
        p:413.532.3360
        f:413.532.3387
        _________________________________
        full-service commercial letterpress
             announcements
             stationery
             packaging
             posters

[...]

      • bielerpr
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4 10:54 PM
          Katey

          Well, the resources of the group site are open to any member, go for it. All kinds of probabilities. Just go to the home page and look at the panel on the left.

          Gerald
          PPL