Mysterious nicks?

  • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
      On another list there has been some discussion of "ink traps" and
      "nicks" that are designed in, as functions, into typefaces. My
      question concerns "ink drains," which I'd assume are unique to metal
      typefaces.

      My only encounter with this: The largest size of Sistina (60 or 72)
      has many, many tiny nicks cast into the outline of the face. These are
      noticeable when printed and are visible on the specimens sheets I've
      seen. The first time I ever printed with this I thought I must have
      some damaged type, but it was new and, as fonted, still covered with
      protective grease from the foundry (Stempel). The smaller sizes of the
      face do not exhibit these. These nicks drain down a bit into the beard
      (about halfway before they dissipate). I can't image Zapf designing
      these into this particular letterform. Given the late date of
      production, I'd always assumned these were a technical consideration
      and evidence of ink drains. Anyone have any further information on this?

      Gerald
    • Michael Russem
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
        Gerald,

        What exactly is an 'ink drain' in type? Taken literally,
        I can infer a meaning, but I'm not sure why or how
        ink should 'drain' from the face of type.

        Michael
        --
        Kat Ran Press
        221 Pine Street #1G5
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2, 2003
          Michael

          My suspicion, at least in regard to the Sistina, is that with the slight
          nicks this would allow ink spread to be contained within the outline
          (the nicks would eventually fill during a normal commercial run on high
          production presses), while allowing access ink a place to run off (thus
          preventing ink spread). I'm guessing though, as I can see no other
          reason for this. I've read about this previously, a long while ago, but
          have since lost the reference. Thus this query.

          Gerald

          Michael Russem wrote:

          >Gerald,
          >
          >What exactly is an 'ink drain' in type? Taken literally,
          >I can infer a meaning, but I'm not sure why or how
          >ink should 'drain' from the face of type.
          >

          >Michael

        • Hrant H Papazian
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
            From: "Gerald Lange
            > The largest size of Sistina (60 or 72)
            > has many, many tiny nicks cast into
            > the outline of the face.

            Could we see exactly what these look like?
            Smoke proofs preferred. :-)

            hhp
          • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 3, 2003
              Hrant

              I'll bring a copy of the printed piece for you to look at, or maybe
              I'll scan the piece and put it up here as a PDF. But the mystery has
              been solved. Jerry Kelly has informed me that Zapf indeed wanted the
              Sistina to have a roughened edge. And while not all that apparent to
              the eye the smaller sizes carry the characteristic as well.

              Gerald