Universal I Vandercook for sale (Dubuque, Iowa)

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2010
      Hello all.
      I believe the following listing is acceptable under the policies of this list.
      My apologies if it's not!

      This very nice press is looking rather shabby, after being stored by an associate in a limestone cellar for a year or so. The body and chassis of the press have substantial surface rust, but it is completely superficial, no structural damage at all.

      We rescued the press and it's now high and dry in a Dubuque warehouse, full dock-height access.

      Please see: http://bit.ly/uniOne for photoset on Flickr

      The cylinder has minor surface oxidation, no pitting. Feed table and bed both in very good condition.
      It will need new form rollers.

      This press was used in an advertising typography shop prior to our acquiring it in the 1980s.
      It's been very well cared for up until we had to move it west from Chicago area to Galena, Illinois.
      An associate offered to store the press (and much else) in his street level cellar, which in late autumn (2000) was dry as a bone and seemed to be a great opportunity.
      Unfortunately, in the spring, the cellar became a damp limestone cave....

      One specific concern is that the bearings for the ink drum (under the form rollers) seem to be frozen.
      The drum and core will rotate together if the 'locking key' is removed from the press chassis.
      The core/chassis is not designed to be a bearing however, so, while as far as we know *, the press can be used as-is, the bearings should be removed and replaced when possible. *(we haven't tried it lately)

      We're accepting offers for the press, as is, FOB Dubuque, Iowa, prior to July 30.
      Note that we may decide not to accept any offer or we may request counter-offers from the top three bidders.
      Wire Transfer preferred (3% discount on accepted offer), PayPal Accepted.

      Buyer to arrange and pay for all shipping, unless otherwise agreed.
      Press is on a custom palette, but not crated.
      Commercial Shippers may not want load the press without crating, so be sure to verify that before contracting.

      Inquiries via http://slowprint.com/contact-us (Just choose "comment" for Type of Inquiry)
      Or via our listing at /http://www.briarpress.org/22243

      Many thanks!!

      Peter Fraterdeus
      Exquisite letterpress takes time™
      http://slowprint.com/

      IdeasWords : Idea Swords
      Communication Strategy
      Semiotx.com @ideaswords
    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27, 2010
        The ink drum bearings are wood (F-760) and are probably swollen from the
        moisture. If anything ever dries out in Iowa, then they should be fine.
        Superficial rust is not a problem as long as the rust does not pit the
        surface. A foam rubber sanding block will remove surface rust safely.

        Fritz

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 27, 2010
          Hi Fritz

          Thanks very much for the note.
          That's my hope as well for the bearings! However, I haven't actually tried it for a couple of years, and I thought I better list it this way. If they've freed themselves, so much the better!
          Will be checking on this question tomorrow.

          Best wishes!

          Peter

        • bielerpr
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31, 2010
            Peter and others

            There is a For Sale/Wanted application available on PPL (located in the menu at the left of the screen on the home page). Click on Applications. Items listed there will "stick" for as long as you want them to.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2010
              Thanks Gerald!
              I'll have a look!

              Slowprint.com / Semiotx.com