Engraving without corrosive?

  • i_goonies
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 14 12:27 PM
      Hello,
      today I was talking with a man who worked for a very famous engraver. He said me this master engraver used to engrave the iron plate with the common tools but he didn't use to put the plates into the corrosive.

      Is this possible!? Am I wrong or what?! Imho the sign into the plate, without the acid, should be too much tin for transfering the ink?

      Thanks,
      Fabio
    • Scott Rubel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 14 1:08 PM
        I'm not sure I completely understand your question.

        Engraving is done with tools and in my experience does not involve acid.

        Etching is a different process that uses acid and a resistance film.

        --Scott

        On Jul 14, 2010, at 12:27 PM, i_goonies wrote:

        > Hello,
        > today I was talking with a man who worked for a very famous engraver. He said me this master engraver used to engrave the iron plate with the common tools but he didn't use to put the plates into the corrosive.
        >
        > Is this possible!? Am I wrong or what?! Imho the sign into the plate, without the acid, should be too much tin for transfering the ink?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Fabio

      • mike day
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 14 1:23 PM
          If I understand your question, you are referring to engraving with burens for art and the like. Go to this site and scroll to bottom of the page to watch the video.

          http://www.bagpipemounts.com/index.html

          Mike Day
          an incredible craftsman. Scroll to bottom of Site page and

          On Jul 14, 2010, at 12:27 PM, i_goonies wrote:

          > Hello,
          > today I was talking with a man who worked for a very famous engraver. He said me this master engraver used to engrave the iron plate with the common tools but he didn't use to put the plates into the corrosive.
          >
          > Is this possible!? Am I wrong or what?! Imho the sign into the plate, without the acid, should be too much tin for transfering the ink?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Fabio

          Mike Day
          Long Day Press