RE: [PPLetterpress] plate specifications

  • Manilal Savla
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 14, 2010
      I understand that you are from Singapore.  The soft photopolymer plates you are refering to are flexographic plates such as Cyrel from DuPont or liquid photopolymers for rubber stamps.  Flexographic plates have a Shore A durometer hardness of 25-55 versus durometer readings in excess of 60 for letterpress plastic plates.  For the history of letterpress photopolymer plates see
      http://www.photopolymer.com/letterpress_printing_plates.htm

      Manufacturers of letterpress photopolymer plates include Toray, TOK, Toyobo and Flint Group.  Their tradenames are Torelief, Miraclon & Rigilon, Printight and nyloprint resp.

      M. Savla
      www.photopolymer.com

      > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > From: ian@...
      > Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 02:33:28 +0000
      > Subject: [PPLetterpress] plate specifications
      >
      > I have always been interested in letterpress printing and have decided not to procrastinate anymore. I have been looking around for a machine that will suit my needs however, I have an issue with the plates. I have no idea what specification of polymer plates I should be getting.
      >
      > I have crawled through the web, but everybody just refers to them as photopolymer plates. In my country, we have similar plates but they are really soft(to simulate lithography prints) and don't create impressions similar to what you have on your website. They will just smudge upon applying pressure.
      >
      > I know that I am asking a lot, but I would be really grateful if you guys could advice me on this. Thanks!

      > <*> Your email settings:
      > Individual Email | Traditional
      >
      > <*> To change settings online go to:
      > (Yahoo! ID required)
      >
      > <*> To change settings via email:
      > PPLetterpress-digest@yahoogroups.com
      > PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Ian Koo
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 15, 2010

        Hi Savla,

        Thank you for answering my question. It has been indeed helpful. I managed to find a company that sells the plates based on a hardness of 67. However it’s only ex stock, and they aren’t bringing it in again. I am buying up all 40 plates to start off with. Hopefully enough to last me during my learning phase.

        Another question. I went to check out two machines today. One of then had a darker red ball, while the second machine which is attached had a much brighter one, I wonder if there is any difference between the two machines.

        Regards

        Ian Koo