polymer plates

  • apsmith@texas.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 28, 2003
      I am a paper conservator at the Harry Ransom Humanities Research
      Center at the University of Texas at Austin. Recently some polymer
      printing plates from the Laughing Horse Press in New Mexico, circa
      1930-60, came into the lab for treatment. I was wondering if anyone knew
      what kind of polymer these plates would be made of? My research into
      this has been unsuccessful, thus far, and any information on the polymer
      plates, manufacturing of them, etc., would be helpful.

      Thank you in advance,

      April Smith
      Asst. Conservator III, MLS
      Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center
      University of Texas at Austin
      Austin, Texas 78712
      512-471-9117
    • apsmith@texas.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 28, 2003
        > These plates are black. I need to remove some tape and residual
        adhesive, so I want to ensure that the treatment I do to remove this will not
        cause harm to the plates now or in the future.

        April

        > Are they blue ?
        >
        > Le 28.1.2003 10:04, ��apsmith@...�� <apsmith@...> a
        �crit�:

        > > I am a paper conservator at the Harry Ransom Humanities Research
        > > Center at the University of Texas at Austin. Recently some polymer
        > > printing plates from the Laughing Horse Press in New Mexico, circa
        > > 1930-60, came into the lab for treatment. I was wondering if anyone
        knew
        > > what kind of polymer these plates would be made of? My research
        into
        > > this has been unsuccessful, thus far, and any information on the
        polymer
        > > plates, manufacturing of them, etc., would be helpful.
        > >
        > > Thank you in advance,
        > >
        > > April Smith
        > > Asst. Conservator III, MLS
        > > Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center
        > > University of Texas at Austin
        > > Austin, Texas 78712
        > > 512-471-9117
        > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=241773.2861422.4212389.2848452/D=egroupwe
        b/S=1706389862

        :HM/A=1394045/R=0/*http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HGTV_393
        6_5802,FF
        > > .html>
        > >
        > > � To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
        > > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > > � Encountering problems? contact:
        > > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > > � To unsubscribe:

        > Andreas Schweizer
        > 8, rue de la Puiserande
        > 1205 Gen�ve- Switzerland
        > T: + 41 22 320 56 28
        > F: + 41 22 320 56 28
        > P: + 41 79 304 14 64
        > Work mail: andreas.schweizer@...
        > Private mail: andreasschweizer@...

        > � To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
        > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        > � Encountering problems? contact:
        > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
        > � To unsubscribe:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • ANDREAS PRIVE
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 28, 2003
          Are they blue ?

          Le 28.1.2003 10:04, « apsmith@... » <apsmith@...> a écrit :

          > I am a paper conservator at the Harry Ransom Humanities Research
          > Center at the University of Texas at Austin. Recently some polymer
          > printing plates from the Laughing Horse Press in New Mexico, circa
          > 1930-60, came into the lab for treatment. I was wondering if anyone knew
          > what kind of polymer these plates would be made of? My research into
          > this has been unsuccessful, thus far, and any information on the polymer
          > plates, manufacturing of them, etc., would be helpful.
          >
          > Thank you in advance,
          >
          > April Smith
          > Asst. Conservator III, MLS
          > Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center
          > University of Texas at Austin
          > Austin, Texas 78712
          > 512-471-9117
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=241773.2861422.4212389.2848452/D=egroupweb/S=1706389862
          > :HM/A=1394045/R=0/*http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HGTV_3936_5802,FF
          > .html>

          > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          > • Encountering problems? contact:
          > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          > • To unsubscribe:

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          Andreas Schweizer
          8, rue de la Puiserande
          1205 Genève- Switzerland

        • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 28, 2003
            April

            Early on there was some kind of a carbon dioxide bath that could
            revive photopolymer plates. To what degree I'm not sure. I assume it
            would reverse the action of ozone attack. In the Photos section here
            there is an article that Bradley Hutchinson put up that mentions this
            process.

            There are some fairly standard procedures for preserving uneffected
            plates: In severe cases antiozonant spray-on treatments (ArmorAll).
            Normal treatment would be flat storage in zip lock baggies at
            temperatures not to exceed 100 degrees, humidity held between 50 to 70
            percent. And kept in dark storage (they are always going to be
            reacting, somewhat, to UV exposure).

            In terms of long you can store them before they lose their resiliance,
            that I'm not sure. Since they are carbon based they are continually
            reacting to the environment (temp/light/humidity), not unlike paper or
            parchment, but worse in that their molecular structure continues to
            alter over time. Like most plastics, they will eventually leach and
            break-down.

            Gerald

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 28, 2003
              April

              I should have mentioned this previously. The Smithsonian has taken some
              steps to prevent the decomposition of plastic materials in its
              collection; Barbie Dolls, astronauts' suits, etc. They would probably be
              the best source for techniques and treatments.

              Gerald
            • Ed Inman
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 28, 2003
                Hi April,

                Some plastic plates made prior to the 70s (such as those made on a
                Scan-a-Graver) were made from nitrate material similar to very old motion
                picture films. As this matertal gradually decomposes it can become extremely
                flammable (or even explosive) when exposed to a spark or flame.

                I am not trying to be an alarmist, but as a matter of caution I would
                suggest that you test a very small particle of one of these plates
                (outdoors) to see if it is flammable. If these are nitrate plates they
                should be stored in vaults under specially controlled conditions (like
                pre-50's 35mm MP films) to avoid creating a potential fire hazard.

                Good luck,
                Ed Inman

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 29, 2003
                  A few years back, I did a reprint of a book printed in the 1950s. The
                  author had the original plates, a black plastic-like material that
                  reminded me of the material of which records were made before the
                  advent of vinyl. The plates looked like they were molded.

                  The plates were milled to match 11pt. engravings, so I was able to
                  run the pages using my honeycomb base.

                  I wish I could help you further, but I had never seen similar plates
                  being made. I can tell you that the plates were resistant to the
                  typewash I was using at the time. I simply tested the solven on a
                  corner of one of the plates before I applied it to the whole form.

                  John Henry
                  Cedar Creek Press

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, apsmith@t... wrote:
                  > > These plates are black. I need to remove some tape and residual
                  > adhesive, so I want to ensure that the treatment I do to remove
                  this will not
                  > cause harm to the plates now or in the future.
                  >
                  > April
                  > >

                  > > Are they blue ?
                  > >
                  > > Le 28.1.2003 10:04, « apsmith@t... » <apsmith@t...> a
                  > écrit :
                  > >
                  > > > I am a paper conservator at the Harry Ransom Humanities Research
                  > > > Center at the University of Texas at Austin. Recently some
                  polymer
                  > > > printing plates from the Laughing Horse Press in New Mexico,
                  circa
                  > > > 1930-60, came into the lab for treatment. I was wondering if
                  anyone
                  > knew
                  > > > what kind of polymer these plates would be made of? My
                  research
                  > into
                  > > > this has been unsuccessful, thus far, and any information on
                  the
                  > polymer
                  > > > plates, manufacturing of them, etc., would be helpful.
                  > > >
                  > > > Thank you in advance,
                  > > >
                  > > > April Smith
                  > > > Asst. Conservator III, MLS
                  > > > Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center
                  > > > University of Texas at Austin
                  > > > Austin, Texas 78712
                  > > > 512-471-9117
                  > > >

                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=241773.2861422.4212389.2848452/D=egroupwe
                  > b/S=1706389862
                  > > >
                  > :HM/A=1394045/R=0/*http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/pac_ctnt/text/0,,HGTV_39
                  3
                  > 6_5802,FF
                  > > > .html>
                  > > >
                  > > > • To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
                  > > > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                  > > > • Encountering problems? contact:
                  > > > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                  > > > • To unsubscribe:

                  Service
                  > > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                  > >

                  > > Andreas Schweizer
                  > > 8, rue de la Puiserande
                  > > 1205 Genève- Switzerland
                  > > T: + 41 22 320 56 28
                  > > F: + 41 22 320 56 28
                  > > P: + 41 79 304 14 64
                  > > Work mail: andreas.schweizer@l...
                  > > Private mail: andreasschweizer@g...

                  > > • To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
                  > > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
                  > > • Encountering problems? contact:
                  > > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
                  > > • To unsubscribe:

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • April Smith
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 31, 2003
                    Thank you to all who responded regarding the composition of polymer plates.
                    Upon further examination, it seems that the plates may be a coated piece of
                    metal, but we still must determine what the coating consists of. I have
                    enlisted the help of a photograph conservator and scientist at the
                    University of Texas and we will run some tests to determine the composition,
                    now.

                    Thanks again,
                    April Smith