Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Polymer Home Exposure

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 27, 2003
      Thanks to everyone who wrote about home units for exposing polymer plates.
      The workshop was on Saturday, so I didn't have time to build a home exposure
      unit. I had bought a 250w photoflood bulb just in case the weather forced
      us indoors. I had no idea of the exposure time, but it probably would have
      been quite lengthy. Anyway, the weather cooperated nicely for us to make our
      exposure outdoors in bright sunlight for two minutes (I think it actually
      got up to 30 that day, a veritable heat wave around here...) I could not
      have asked for a more successful trial, and this was using a very quick 'n'
      dirty "negative" made by running transparency film through my laser printer.
      The workshop participants were suitably impressed as we proofed the plate
      and found it identical to the original (small squiggly lines). It worked so
      well it was a little hard for me to make the usual case about how one can
      do home processing for experimental stuff, but one really needs to have
      plates made professionally for consistently fine detail...

      Now that the workshop is over, I'm going to build my own home unit. I have a
      vacuum frame that was given to me ages ago, but it no longer has the vacuum
      motor. Any idea where I can get hold of that?

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588