Thick paper

  • ductormanpaperboy
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 7, 2010
      Hello all

      I am looking for some thick stock to run some business cards on. I am looking for something around the 600 gsm mark but I do not want anything fancy or cotton. Just a good paper that will print well and that will not cost the customer a small fortune. Am I dreaming or does such a paper exist? something in a white or off white. The cards will also be die cut after and will also be doublesided. The cards will be printed on a windmill.

      Cheers
      Ian
    • Ed Inman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 7, 2010
        Classic Crest comes in a 165 lb. cover in white and natural. If you just need a small quantity neenahpaper.com sells it online for about $5 per 26" x 40" sheet.
        Unless there's a bleed you'd only need 4 or 5 sheets to make 500 business cards.
        Ed

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 7, 2010
          Hi, Ian

          Look at the Butterboard and Cosmos Blotter, I believe both are available from Utrecht

          http://www.utrechtart.com/dsp_view_product.cfm?Item=59971

          I use this as a stand-in for Lettra 600gsm during makeready on the Windmill, as it's exactly the same caliper .040"

          The butter board, of course, is rather butter colored.

          There's also
          http://www.dickblick.com/products/cosmos-blotting-paper/

          but it's only about 360gsm.

          Cheers!

          On 7 Jun 2010, at 9:49 PM, ductormanpaperboy wrote:

          > Hello all
          >
          > I am looking for some thick stock to run some business cards on. I am looking for something around the 600 gsm mark but I do not want anything fancy or cotton. Just a good paper that will print well and that will not cost the customer a small fortune. Am I dreaming or does such a paper exist? something in a white or off white. The cards will also be die cut after and will also be doublesided. The cards will be printed on a windmill.
          >
          > Cheers
          > Ian

          Peter Fraterdeus
          Exquisite letterpress takes time™
          http://slowprint.com/

          IdeasWords : Idea Swords
          Communication Strategy
          Semiotx.com @ideaswords
        • Matt Kelsey
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 7, 2010
            Atlantic Papers has something called Edition 450 gsm which is $6.30 for a 31 x 48 sheet. It's about .030" thick, not quite as thick as Lettra 600 gsm but about half the price (not cotton). It prints well by letterpress; I haven't tried double-sided printing on it yet, but it should do reasonably well. It's a soft white color.

            Also the Lettra 600 gsm cards are ridiculously thick for reasonable business cards if someone is planning to carry a few in their wallet. Edition is just about as stiff and impressive, but a more reasonable thickness.

            Matt

            On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 7:49 PM, ductormanpaperboy <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

            Hello all

            I am looking for some thick stock to run some business cards on. I am looking for something around the 600 gsm mark but I do not want anything fancy or cotton. Just a good paper that will print well and that will not cost the customer a small fortune. Am I dreaming or does such a paper exist? something in a white or off white. The cards will also be die cut after and will also be doublesided. The cards will be printed on a windmill.

            Cheers
            Ian

          • Leora West Mauck
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 9, 2010
              You might visit a framing store!  We have successfully run 4ply museum board on our Windmill (without any packing and starting off with practically 0 impression strength).  You could also duplex 160lb-200lb stock, such as the aforementioned Crane Letter 165lb, after printing each side and before die-cutting.  Legion sells Rising Museum Board, but this is very pricey, especially if you don't already have an account with them.  For thick, handmade paper with textured finish, you might try Twin Rocker (but its so expensive I've never bought or tried it!)

              Leora Mauck
              Copper Willow Paper Studio
              Culver City, CA

              I am looking for some thick stock to run some business cards on. I am looking for something around the 600 gsm mark but I do not want anything fancy or cotton. Just a good paper that will print well and that will not cost the customer a small fortune. Am I dreaming or does such a paper exist? something in a white or off white. The cards will also be die cut after and will also be doublesided. The cards will be printed on a windmill.

              Cheers
              Ian

            • joshualevine74
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 18, 2010
                Legion has a bunch of papers in the 500-600 (and up) range. There's an inexpensive 600gsm sheet called Eco-Rag: http://www.letterpresspaper.com/legion-eco-rag-sheets/

                There's a sample department available as well has this paper and Legion Bamboo samples for a buck.

                Hope this helps.

                Josh

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "ductormanpaperboy" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

                > Hello all
                >
                > I am looking for some thick stock to run some business cards on. I am looking for something around the 600 gsm mark but I do not want anything fancy or cotton. Just a good paper that will print well and that will not cost the customer a small fortune. Am I dreaming or does such a paper exist? something in a white or off white. The cards will also be die cut after and will also be doublesided. The cards will be printed on a windmill.
                >
                > Cheers
                > Ian

              • bielerpr
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 18, 2010
                  Mouldmade photo enhanced papers seem to work well with letterpress. I did a piece a while back with Somerset

                  http://bielerpressv.blogspot.com/2009/09/aaron-horkey-dead-man-art-print.html

                  and recently saw a nicely printed letterpress piece that used a Hahnemuehle paper.

                  http://www.hahnemuehle.com/prod/en/212/426/photo-rag-bright-white-310-gsm.html