Museo Paper

  • nohogallery@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2010
      We are printing the cover of a book for a digital photographer who
      wants to use the same paper for the cover as she uses for her prints.
      The paper is Museo Portfolio Rag which is a coated rag digital paper.

      I am assuming it will print well, but wondering if anyone has worked
      with this paper before. Its is 300gsm.

      Thanks

      Bill Muller
      Big Wheel Press
      Northampton, MA
    • Barbara Hauser
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 4, 2010
        Hi Bill,

        I haven't printed on the Museo, but I have printed on Epson Velvet Fine Art and on Moab Entrada Fine Art Bright (300gsm), which are both cotton rag coated for inkjet printing. Both printed letterpress well.

        Barbara

        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, nohogallery@... wrote:

        > We are printing the cover of a book for a digital photographer who
        > wants to use the same paper for the cover as she uses for her prints.
        > The paper is Museo Portfolio Rag which is a coated rag digital paper.
        >
        > I am assuming it will print well, but wondering if anyone has worked
        > with this paper before. Its is 300gsm.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Bill Muller
        > Big Wheel Press
        > Northampton, MA

      • Christian
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 5, 2010
          We've printed on it a couple of times and takes ink beautifully. We
          always print with VanSon Rubber Base Plus.

          I like being able to combine the digital printing with letterpress!

          Christian Morrison
          Pantry Press

          Sent from my garden
        • William
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2010
            I've printed on Moab Entrada and Hawk Mountain's Condor Bright White also.

            The problem I have is hand scoring some of these papers, some crack really badly.

            Anyone have any suggestions for a scoring tool when a bone folder would take too long but the number of pieces doesn't justify setting up a press?

            Any other discussion of digital papers and letterpress would be most useful!

            Thanks,

            Jon

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Hauser" <BarbHauser@...> wrote:

            > Hi Bill,
            >
            > I haven't printed on the Museo, but I have printed on Epson Velvet Fine Art and on Moab Entrada Fine Art Bright (300gsm), which are both cotton rag coated for inkjet printing. Both printed letterpress well.
            >
            > Barbara
            >
            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, nohogallery@ wrote:
            > >
            > > We are printing the cover of a book for a digital photographer who
            > > wants to use the same paper for the cover as she uses for her prints.
            > > The paper is Museo Portfolio Rag which is a coated rag digital paper.
            > >
            > > I am assuming it will print well, but wondering if anyone has worked
            > > with this paper before. Its is 300gsm.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Bill Muller
            > > Big Wheel Press
            > > Northampton, MA

          • joshualevine74
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 18, 2010
              Moab Entrada is available as scored cards w/matching envelopes (called "Entradalopes") as is Museo. Other inkjet coated cotton papers to consider would be Somerset Enhanced, Museo Textured Rag, Museo Portfolio Rag and Verona Textured.

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "William" <jon@...> wrote:

              > I've printed on Moab Entrada and Hawk Mountain's Condor Bright White also.
              >
              > The problem I have is hand scoring some of these papers, some crack really badly.
              >
              > Anyone have any suggestions for a scoring tool when a bone folder would take too long but the number of pieces doesn't justify setting up a press?
              >
              > Any other discussion of digital papers and letterpress would be most useful!
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Jon
              >
              > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Hauser" <BarbHauser@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Hi Bill,
              > >
              > > I haven't printed on the Museo, but I have printed on Epson Velvet Fine Art and on Moab Entrada Fine Art Bright (300gsm), which are both cotton rag coated for inkjet printing. Both printed letterpress well.
              > >
              > > Barbara
              > >
              > > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, nohogallery@ wrote:
              > > >
              > > > We are printing the cover of a book for a digital photographer who
              > > > wants to use the same paper for the cover as she uses for her prints.
              > > > The paper is Museo Portfolio Rag which is a coated rag digital paper.
              > > >
              > > > I am assuming it will print well, but wondering if anyone has worked
              > > > with this paper before. Its is 300gsm.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks
              > > >
              > > > Bill Muller
              > > > Big Wheel Press
              > > > Northampton, MA

            • Barbara Hauser
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 19, 2010
                Hi Jon,

                I have one of those "Scor-it" boards that works pretty well, though it scores only one width, unlike scoring matrix which you can get in different widths to suit different paper thicknesses. The nicest folds I've gotten on thick stock have been with the bone folder, folded while the paper is still damp. I butt the free edges of the piece against the upper guide on my cheap little paper trimmer, flatten, and swipe with the bone folder. Takes just a second!

                And while we're on the subject of inkjet printing and dampening -- has anyone done this successfully? I recently printed a piece incorporating a digital print, and I wanted to dampen the paper. I did some experiments. I dampened the paper first, printed letterpress, let it dry, and then printed ink-jet. The ink-jet print looked fine, but I didn't trust my eyes, or even my loupe, to catch subtle degradations in quality caused by a possible breakdown of the inkjet coating when dampened. I wouldn't think you could print inkjet first and then dampen, though I tried this, too, and the inkjet print seemed to hold up pretty well, even though I was using Epson Velvet Fine Art Paper and the specs say that its resistance to water is only "fair" and that "bleeding occurs with incidental water contact."

                Barbara

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "William" <jon@...> wrote:

                > I've printed on Moab Entrada and Hawk Mountain's Condor Bright White also.
                >
                > The problem I have is hand scoring some of these papers, some crack really badly.
                >
                > Anyone have any suggestions for a scoring tool when a bone folder would take too long but the number of pieces doesn't justify setting up a press?
                >
                > Any other discussion of digital papers and letterpress would be most useful!
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Jon
              • William
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 22, 2010
                  Hi Barbara,

                  I've just ordered a Scor-It board. Appears it only comes in pink... :)

                  I've been printing on digital papers for 8-9 years now and wouldn't ever want to get water near a print. On some of the papers, the receptive coating is fairly delicate. I wonder if Epson's advice had more to do with dye-based inkjet inks over pigmented inkjet inks. Seems like the dye-based inks would tend to bleed more...