Re: [PPLetterpress] Searching for UK printers to host workshops

    Message 1 of 6 , May 25 3:43 PM
      Wow!
      Alex, congratulations!!

      I studied calligraphy and letter carving in Wales (with Ieuan Rees )in the 1980s under an NEA Crafts Apprenticeship.

      Not for two years though! DO get to Wales while you're on that side of the pond!
      The hills remind me of my mother's home in eastern Kentucky.

      Wish I could tag along ;-)

      Cheers

      Peter

      On 25 May 2010, at 2:08 PM, alex brooks wrote:

      Dear Photo-Polymer Letterpress Printers:

      I am happy to announce that I’ve been chosen to receive a Fulbright award to study Book Conservation at West Dean College in West Sussex England. I’ll be studying for two years, beginning September 2010.

      Community engagement and cultural exchange are integral parts of the Fulbright program, and accordingly I am looking to conduct free workshops in letterpress printing and press maintenance in the UK. I'm searching for printers in the UK who are interested in hosting these workshops (especially if they have a Vandercook, FAG, or similar press). I would love to reach out to a younger generation of artists and printers in the UK.

      I will also be available for hire for Vandercook press maintenance or more complicated repairs.

      If anyone is interested, please contact me at alex@...

      thanks, Alex Brooks
      press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress
      -----

    • Susan MAKOV
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26 2:30 PM
        Alex,
        You may try contacting Sue Gollifer, at Brighton (near where you will be) http://artsresearch.brighton.ac.uk/research/academic/gollifer
        I studied with her and the many fine people at Brighton (then Polytechnic) many years ago. It was one of the best experiences of my life.
        What a great opportunity for you.
        Best,
        Susan Makov
        Green Cat Press
        Salt Lake City, Utah

      • hiartz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , May 26 2:55 PM
          Alex, try Ditchling Museum in E Sussex.

          ------------------

          From: "Susan MAKOV" <smakov@...>
          Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 15:30:14 -0600
          To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] Searching for UK printers to host workshops

          Alex,
          You may try contacting Sue Gollifer, at Brighton (near where you will be) http://artsresearch.brighton.ac.uk/research/academic/gollifer
          I studied with her and the many fine people at Brighton (then Polytechnic) many years ago. It was one of the best experiences of my life.
          What a great opportunity for you.
          Best,
          Susan Makov
          Green Cat Press
          Salt Lake City, Utah

          >>> Peter Fraterdeus <peterf@...> 05/25/10 19:07 PM >>>
          Wow!
          Alex, congratulations!!

          I studied calligraphy and letter carving in Wales (with Ieuan Rees )in the 1980s under an NEA Crafts Apprenticeship.

          Not for two years though! DO get to Wales while you're on that side of the pond!
          The hills remind me of my mother's home in eastern Kentucky.

          Wish I could tag along ;-)

          Cheers

          Peter

          On 25 May 2010, at 2:08 PM, alex brooks wrote:

          > Dear Photo-Polymer Letterpress Printers:
          >
          > I am happy to announce that I’ve been chosen to receive a Fulbright award to study Book Conservation at West Dean College in West Sussex England. I’ll be studying for two years, beginning September 2010.
          >
          > Community engagement and cultural exchange are integral parts of the Fulbright program, and accordingly I am looking to conduct free workshops in letterpress printing and press maintenance in the UK. I'm searching for printers in the UK who are interested in hosting these workshops (especially if they have a Vandercook, FAG, or similar press). I would love to reach out to a younger generation of artists and printers in the UK.
          >
          > I will also be available for hire for Vandercook press maintenance or more complicated repairs.
          >
          > If anyone is interested, please contact me at alex@...
          >
          > thanks, Alex Brooks
          > press eight seventeen - lexington letterpress
          > -----

        • alex brooks
          Message 4 of 6 , May 27 4:29 PM
            Susan & Unknown Helper
            thanks so much for your advice, I will follow up on these leads,
            cheers, Alex