lettra showing through black ink

  • jason wagner
    Message 1 of 10 , May 25, 2010
      Hi, I'm having trouble printing on crane's lettra with my newly acquired Reprex cylinder press.

      When printing on index paper or smoother paper it prints perfectly, but when I use the lettra parts of the paper show through, as though there is not enough ink. There is enough ink, and its not a lint issue. It prints the first part of the plate it comes in contact with quite well, then its almost as though it prints the rest with less pressure.

      I'm using a K95 photopolymer plate and a boxcar base, I've tried roller height changes, different plates, plate rotation and packing adjustments but still get intermittent and sporadic results with the lettra. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

      Thanks,
      Jason

    • Harold Kyle
      Message 2 of 10 , May 25, 2010
        Do you have photographs?

        Textured cotton papers such as Lettra are much more absorbent than smoother commercial stock. To some extent, solid ink coverage is difficult on cotton paper (and part of the process).

        Thanks
        Harold

        --
        ---
        Boxcar Press
        Message 3 of 10 , May 25, 2010
          We just finished printing an entire card line for one of our clients, which consisted of large color floods on 110# Lettra for 70 designs in her line. Of course this could only be achieved on our cylinder presses.  It takes a great deal of extra effort to pull this off. You have to print totally different than you would on smoother stocks. You really need to know the standard factory limits of your press so you can make adjustments and redefine your press's limits according to your needs... it's definitely not plug and play....

          I suggest you first go out and buy a bottle of good vodka.

          bryan hutcheson
          - manifesto letterpress
          - industrie standard
          - holyoke fine papers

          4 open square way, L101
          holyoke, ma 01040
          p:413.532.3360
          f:413.532.3387
          _________________________________
          full-service commercial letterpress
               announcements
               stationery
               packaging
               posters

        • Bill Denham
          Message 4 of 10 , May 25, 2010
            Sometimes I have to increase the ink level on the press to uncomfortable, if not frightening levels to get adequate coverage and that usually means a much more careful and precise adjustment of the rollers to avoid ink on the shoulders. Sometime I have to do a double or even triple hit if there are large solid areas.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 10 , May 25, 2010
              I agree with everything Bryan said. A cylinder press is the only way to go for large areas of solids on moderately to unsized cotton stocks and intimacy with your press is a must to make it happen with fewer issues.

              Just swap the vodka with good whiskey and you should be good to get started. (if you don't own a good cylinder press then the spirits are known to help lubricate the wallet.)

              ___________________________
              Chad Pastotnik
              Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
              http://www.deepwoodpress.com

              On May 25, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Bryan Hutcheson wrote:

              > We just finished printing an entire card line for one of our clients, which consisted of large color floods on 110# Lettra for 70 designs in her line. Of course this could only be achieved on our cylinder presses. It takes a great deal of extra effort to pull this off. You have to print totally different than you would on smoother stocks. You really need to know the standard factory limits of your press so you can make adjustments and redefine your press's limits according to your needs... it's definitely not plug and play....
              >
              > I suggest you first go out and buy a bottle of good vodka.
              >

              > bryan hutcheson
              > - manifesto letterpress
              > - industrie standard
              > - holyoke fine papers
              >
              > 4 open square way, L101
              > holyoke, ma 01040
              > p:413.532.3360
              > f:413.532.3387
              > www.manifestopress.com
              > _________________________________
              > full-service commercial letterpress
              > announcements
              > stationery
              > packaging
              > posters

            • jason wagner
              Message 6 of 10 , May 25, 2010
                Thanks for the comments everyone. It turns out my problem was related to a feature I had not known about on my new Reprex press, another Reprex owner told me "the Reprex press has an automatic function which partially throws the impression off when the pressure is too much and it might damage the cylinder." Once I knew this feature existed I was able to make adjustments and pull acceptable prints.

                Crane's lettra is more difficult than I had thought it would be, I expected it to be more forgiving after reading it was made for letterpress... I think I earned that whiskey.

                Jason

                Message 7 of 10 , May 25, 2010
                  I was going to note that, if anything, for better coverage in solids, you'd use LESS or NO mag-carbonate in the ink, and possibly even a drop of reducing oil... And then there's the humidity in the paper, of course.

                  Good work on the secret feature ;-)

                  Lettra is indeed "more forgiving" if what you're looking for is classic line and typographic letterpress printing. Not great for Web 2.0 ;-)

                  Strathmore's Writing Cover is quite nice when you need a smoother sheet, but still takes a nice impression.

                  I've not heard of Reprex presses before. What's the chase/bed size on your press?

                  Cheers!

                  peter

                  On 25 May 2010, at 6:11 PM, jason wagner wrote:

                  Thanks for the comments everyone. It turns out my problem was related to a feature I had not known about on my new Reprex press, another Reprex owner told me "the Reprex press has an automatic function which partially throws the impression off when the pressure is too much and it might damage the cylinder." Once I knew this feature existed I was able to make adjustments and pull acceptable prints.

                  Crane's lettra is more difficult than I had thought it would be, I expected it to be more forgiving after reading it was made for letterpress... I think I earned that whiskey.

                  Jason

                  Peter Fraterdeus
                  Exquisite letterpress takes time™

                  IdeasWords : Idea Swords
                  Communication Strategy
                  Semiotx.com  @ideaswords

                • jason wagner
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 25, 2010
                    Thanks for the paper suggestion, I appreciate it.

                    The bed on my Reprex 2 is 15 1/4" x 42". It has some very nice features in addition to those that take a little getting used to. Vanderblog has a brief history if you're interested: http://vandercookpress.info/vanderblog/category/other-brands/reprex/

                    Best,
                    Jason