Tunnel Book workshop in Utah

  • Claire Taylor
    Message 1 of 10 , May 18, 2010
      Please excuse cross posting

      DO NOT REPLY TO THE LIST

      For more information: http://bookartsprogram.org or bookartsprogram@... or 801.585.9191

      Workshop – Utah

      Peep Show: Design and Construction of the Tunnel Book

      June 26, 1:30-5:30 PM

      Instructor: Amber Heaton, Utah
      Location: Book Arts Studio, J. Willard Marriott Library, 4th floor
      Workshop fee: $45 + $20 materials fee

      Learn the secrets of constructing the historic tunnel-book, a form that magically converts the flat page into a three-dimensional world. Explore three different tunnel structures in this half-day workshop at the Book Arts Program at the J. Willard Marriot Library.

    • jason wagner
      Message 2 of 10 , May 25, 2010
        Hi, I'm having trouble printing on crane's lettra with my newly acquired Reprex cylinder press.

        When printing on index paper or smoother paper it prints perfectly, but when I use the lettra parts of the paper show through, as though there is not enough ink. There is enough ink, and its not a lint issue. It prints the first part of the plate it comes in contact with quite well, then its almost as though it prints the rest with less pressure.

        I'm using a K95 photopolymer plate and a boxcar base, I've tried roller height changes, different plates, plate rotation and packing adjustments but still get intermittent and sporadic results with the lettra. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

        Thanks,
        Jason

      • Harold Kyle
        Message 3 of 10 , May 25, 2010
          Do you have photographs?

          Textured cotton papers such as Lettra are much more absorbent than smoother commercial stock. To some extent, solid ink coverage is difficult on cotton paper (and part of the process).

          Thanks
          Harold

          --
          ---
          Boxcar Press
          Message 4 of 10 , May 25, 2010
            We just finished printing an entire card line for one of our clients, which consisted of large color floods on 110# Lettra for 70 designs in her line. Of course this could only be achieved on our cylinder presses.  It takes a great deal of extra effort to pull this off. You have to print totally different than you would on smoother stocks. You really need to know the standard factory limits of your press so you can make adjustments and redefine your press's limits according to your needs... it's definitely not plug and play....

            I suggest you first go out and buy a bottle of good vodka.

            bryan hutcheson
            - manifesto letterpress
            - industrie standard
            - holyoke fine papers

            4 open square way, L101
            holyoke, ma 01040
            p:413.532.3360
            f:413.532.3387
            _________________________________
            full-service commercial letterpress
                 announcements
                 stationery
                 packaging
                 posters

          • Bill Denham
            Message 5 of 10 , May 25, 2010
              Sometimes I have to increase the ink level on the press to uncomfortable, if not frightening levels to get adequate coverage and that usually means a much more careful and precise adjustment of the rollers to avoid ink on the shoulders. Sometime I have to do a double or even triple hit if there are large solid areas.

              Bill

              Message 6 of 10 , May 25, 2010
                I agree with everything Bryan said. A cylinder press is the only way to go for large areas of solids on moderately to unsized cotton stocks and intimacy with your press is a must to make it happen with fewer issues.

                Just swap the vodka with good whiskey and you should be good to get started. (if you don't own a good cylinder press then the spirits are known to help lubricate the wallet.)

                ___________________________
                Chad Pastotnik
                Deep Wood Press 231.587.0506
                http://www.deepwoodpress.com

                On May 25, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Bryan Hutcheson wrote:

                > We just finished printing an entire card line for one of our clients, which consisted of large color floods on 110# Lettra for 70 designs in her line. Of course this could only be achieved on our cylinder presses. It takes a great deal of extra effort to pull this off. You have to print totally different than you would on smoother stocks. You really need to know the standard factory limits of your press so you can make adjustments and redefine your press's limits according to your needs... it's definitely not plug and play....
                >
                > I suggest you first go out and buy a bottle of good vodka.
                >

                > bryan hutcheson
                > - manifesto letterpress
                > - industrie standard
                > - holyoke fine papers
                >
                > 4 open square way, L101
                > holyoke, ma 01040
                > p:413.532.3360
                > f:413.532.3387
                > www.manifestopress.com
                > _________________________________
                > full-service commercial letterpress
                > announcements
                > stationery
                > packaging
                > posters

              • jason wagner
                Message 7 of 10 , May 25, 2010
                  Thanks for the comments everyone. It turns out my problem was related to a feature I had not known about on my new Reprex press, another Reprex owner told me "the Reprex press has an automatic function which partially throws the impression off when the pressure is too much and it might damage the cylinder." Once I knew this feature existed I was able to make adjustments and pull acceptable prints.

                  Crane's lettra is more difficult than I had thought it would be, I expected it to be more forgiving after reading it was made for letterpress... I think I earned that whiskey.

                  Jason

                  Message 8 of 10 , May 25, 2010
                    I was going to note that, if anything, for better coverage in solids, you'd use LESS or NO mag-carbonate in the ink, and possibly even a drop of reducing oil... And then there's the humidity in the paper, of course.

                    Good work on the secret feature ;-)

                    Lettra is indeed "more forgiving" if what you're looking for is classic line and typographic letterpress printing. Not great for Web 2.0 ;-)

                    Strathmore's Writing Cover is quite nice when you need a smoother sheet, but still takes a nice impression.

                    I've not heard of Reprex presses before. What's the chase/bed size on your press?

                    Cheers!

                    peter

                    On 25 May 2010, at 6:11 PM, jason wagner wrote:

                    Thanks for the comments everyone. It turns out my problem was related to a feature I had not known about on my new Reprex press, another Reprex owner told me "the Reprex press has an automatic function which partially throws the impression off when the pressure is too much and it might damage the cylinder." Once I knew this feature existed I was able to make adjustments and pull acceptable prints.

                    Crane's lettra is more difficult than I had thought it would be, I expected it to be more forgiving after reading it was made for letterpress... I think I earned that whiskey.

                    Jason

                    Peter Fraterdeus
                    Exquisite letterpress takes time™

                    IdeasWords : Idea Swords
                    Communication Strategy
                    Semiotx.com  @ideaswords

                  • jason wagner
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 25, 2010
                      Thanks for the paper suggestion, I appreciate it.

                      The bed on my Reprex 2 is 15 1/4" x 42". It has some very nice features in addition to those that take a little getting used to. Vanderblog has a brief history if you're interested: http://vandercookpress.info/vanderblog/category/other-brands/reprex/

                      Best,
                      Jason