Re: Walker's Camera

  • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2003

      This is the post (?) but it is actually from another list:

      <Benton's pantograph actually predates Morris' Kelmscott Press by a
      <few years. More often overlooked in type history is the role of the
      <photograph, which in terms of public usage and availability really
      <comes about at about this time. Morris, thanks to Emery Walker's
      <inspiration, was the first to exloit the photograph for revival
      <purposes. His faces were reinterpretations of historical specimens.
      <Kelmscott's success led to similar activities by the foundries. The
      <"theft" the camera allowed was unprecedented.

      I'm wrong on the Benton thing. The engraving pantagraph was first
      patented and used in 1884 but probably not by ATF to engrave matrices
      until the early 1900s. ATF's Benton was the inventor's son.

      But yes, in checking my course notes, while the camera was initially
      developed in 1822 and did help to initiate interest in the Renaissance
      around mid-century, the popular Kodak box camera didn't hit the market
      until 1888 ("You press the button, we do the rest"), though Eastman
      had made significant developments in producing photographic materials
      for the mass market between 1879 and 1885.

      Walker gave the slide lantern lecture on November 15, 1888. Morris
      officially founded the press in 1891. Walker abstained from
      partnership but acted as "adviser."

      Sorry for the confusion,