Type cases

  • checkscher
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26 8:18 PM
      I am restarting a letterpress operation and need about ten type cases -- an odd size, from what I can see on the web, about 21-3/4" x 16-3/4". They have the caps at the top (back) of the case, though I could also use some just for caps with equal-size compartments. Does anyone know what such cases are called and where they might be found?
    • Nick Smith
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27 1:25 AM
        These sound rather like the traditional German cases.
        Nick

        --
        Nicholas Smith
        Rare Books Dept - University Library
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 27 6:21 AM
          try Don K. Black Linecasting - they have most things

          http://www.donblack.ca/

          On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM, checkscher <cch@...> wrote:

          I am restarting a letterpress operation and need about ten type cases -- an odd size, from what I can see on the web, about 21-3/4" x 16-3/4". They have the caps at the top (back) of the case, though I could also use some just for caps with equal-size compartments. Does anyone know what such cases are called and where they might be found?

          --
          Vanessa Dempsey
          --------------------------------
          vanessadempsey@...
          www.vanessadempsey.com
        • Sheena Kim
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 27 10:20 AM
            I need to double-check the size, but I think I have about 5 of them that are empty. I'll measure them this afternoon and let you know.

            Sheena
            Nightfire Press

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Apr 26, 2010, at 10:18 PM, "checkscher" <cch@...> wrote:

            I am restarting a letterpress operation and need about ten type cases -- an odd size, from what I can see on the web, about 21-3/4" x 16-3/4". They have the caps at the top (back) of the case, though I could also use some just for caps with equal-size compartments. Does anyone know what such cases are called and where they might be found?

          • David Goodrich
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 27 4:07 PM
              The case size makes it a 2/3 case.  The layout with the caps at the top makes it a Yankee Job Case.

              Most Yankee cases were 2/3 size although apparently there were some that were full size.  Similarly, most 2/3 cases have the Yankee layout.  Some have 7 boxes across the top while others have 8, matching the divisions of the lower case part.

              2/3 cases are also available as upper cases and lower cases.  The upper cases were common for two caps fonts.

              There is also a full sized combination Yankee and California case which has a Yankee layout in the left 2/3 and a normal caps layout on the right 1/3.  These are very useful for fonts with small caps.

              2/3 cases are quite common and can be bought from dealers such as Letterpress Things.

              David
            • checkscher
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 28 6:42 AM
                Wow! Thanks for the rapid and very valuable information!

                Charles Heckscher

                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "David Goodrich" <dgoodrich@...> wrote:

                > The case size makes it a 2/3 case. The layout with the caps at the top makes it a Yankee Job Case.
                >
                > Most Yankee cases were 2/3 size although apparently there were some that were full size. Similarly, most 2/3 cases have the Yankee layout. Some have 7 boxes across the top while others have 8, matching the divisions of the lower case part.
                >
                > 2/3 cases are also available as upper cases and lower cases. The upper cases were common for two caps fonts.
                >
                > There is also a full sized combination Yankee and California case which has a Yankee layout in the left 2/3 and a normal caps layout on the right 1/3. These are very useful for fonts with small caps.
                >
                > 2/3 cases are quite common and can be bought from dealers such as Letterpress Things.
                >
                > David

              • Yvon
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 28 12:10 PM
                  Vanessa, indeed Don Black is a good source for cases, I've bought several from them in the past.

                  Meanwhile, the most comprehensive source of info ever found on typecases is on Alembic Press's website, dimensions, layout, and many actual line drawings/illustrations also:

                  http://www.alembicpress.co.uk/Index.htm#selc

                  Good luck.

                  --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Vanessa Dempsey <vanessadempsey@...> wrote:

                  > try Don K. Black Linecasting - they have most things
                  >
                  > http://www.donblack.ca/

                  > On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 11:18 PM, checkscher <cch@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I am restarting a letterpress operation and need about ten type cases -- an
                  > > odd size, from what I can see on the web, about 21-3/4" x 16-3/4". They have
                  > > the caps at the top (back) of the case, though I could also use some just
                  > > for caps with equal-size compartments. Does anyone know what such cases are
                  > > called and where they might be found?

                  > --
                  > Vanessa Dempsey
                  > vanessadempsey@...
                  > www.vanessadempsey.com

                • checkscher
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 3, 2010
                    I saw the Alembic Press diagrams but they're so comprehensive I couldn't find my cases! But it turns out that David Goodrich's suggestion of 2/3 Yankee Job cases is right.

                    Charles Heckscher