Can you identify this press?

  • i_goonies
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 18, 2010
      Hello,
      can you identify this press?

      http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/3365/bohs.jpg

      It isn't a typographic press but I hope any veteran here will recognoize it.

      Thanks!
      Fabio
    • Tim Benas
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 19, 2010
        It appears to be an engraving machine, also referred to as die stamping. It uses intaglio plates.

        To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
        From: neroinferno@...
        Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 19:36:52 +0000
        Subject: [PPLetterpress] Can you identify this press?

      • k8sggroups@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 19, 2010
          You're kidding, right?

          Its a metal punch/shear.

          Its NOT a printing press of ANY type.

          Speed Gray
          Grand Rapids, MI

          To: PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 19, 2010
            Hello,
            thanks for the replies.

            The machine has got a inkwell too.

            Can this help?

            Thanks :)

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, k8sggroups@... wrote:

            > You're kidding, right?
            >
            > Its a metal punch/shear.
            >
            > Its NOT a printing press of ANY type.
            >
            > Speed Gray
            > Grand Rapids, MI
            >

            > In a message dated 4/19/2010 8:41:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            > timbenas@... writes:
            >

            > It appears to be an engraving machine, also referred to as die stamping. It
            > uses intaglio plates.
            >

            > ____________________________________
            > To: PPLetterpress@ To: PPLe
            > From: neroinferno@From:
            > Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 19:36:52 +0000
            > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Can you identify this press?
            >

            > Hello,
            > can you identify this press?
            >
            > _http://img192.http://img1http://imghttp://imghtt_
            > (http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/3365/bohs.jpg)
            >
            > It isn't a typographic press but I hope any veteran here will recognoize
            > it.
            >
            > Thanks!
            > Fabio

          • Tim Benas
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 19, 2010
              My guess of an engraving machine was partly due to the fact that there are reams of paper laying around, what appears to be bottles of gold ink, what appears to be a roll of die wipe wrapping around some cylinders and the word "machinenfabrik" on the front plate. Still, just a guess.

              To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              From: neroinferno@...
              Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 15:39:20 +0000
              Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: Can you identify this press?

              Hello,
              thanks for the replies.

              The machine has got a inkwell too.

              Can this help?

              Thanks :)

              --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, k8sggroups@. .. wrote:

              > You're kidding, right?
              >
              > Its a metal punch/shear.
              >
              > Its NOT a printing press of ANY type.
              >
              > Speed Gray
              > Grand Rapids, MI
              >

              > In a message dated 4/19/2010 8:41:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              > timbenas@... writes:
              >

              > It appears to be an engraving machine, also referred to as die stamping. It
              > uses intaglio plates.
              >

              > ____________ _________ _________ ______
              > To: PPLetterpress@ To: PPLe
              > From: neroinferno@ From:
              > Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 19:36:52 +0000
              > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Can you identify this press?
              >

              > Hello,
              > can you identify this press?
              >
              > _http://img192. http://img1http: //imghttp: //imghtt_
              > (http://img192. imageshack. us/img192/ 3365/bohs. jpg)
              >
              > It isn't a typographic press but I hope any veteran here will recognoize
              > it.
              >
              > Thanks!
              > Fabio

            • Eric
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 19, 2010
                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Tim Benas <timbenas@...> wrote:

                > My guess of an engraving machine. . .

                I think it is a good guess. At first glance I thought it was a foil stamper but the roll of material does not travel the right path for that. As a die-wipe it makes perfect sense.
                It looks like the head moves back, to the right of the picture, as part of the action. No foil stamper or punch would use that movement.
                --Eric Holub, SF
              • Norman Hicks
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 19, 2010
                  Looks like a chinese machine to me!

                  Norman Hicks

                  Hicks Brothers Printing Equipment
                  582 6th Street
                  San Francisco, California 94103-4708
                  United States of America

                  415-575-0933 office
                  415-575-0907 fax
                  415-725-1670 cell

                  http://printingequip.com   visit it repeatedly!!!

                  On Apr 19, 2010, at 8:39 AM, i_goonies wrote:

                  Hello,
                  thanks for the replies.

                  The machine has got a inkwell too.

                  Can this help?

                  Thanks :)

                  --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, k8sggroups@. .. wrote:

                  > You're kidding, right?
                  >
                  > Its a metal punch/shear.
                  >
                  > Its NOT a printing press of ANY type.
                  >
                  > Speed Gray
                  > Grand Rapids, MI
                  >

                  > In a message dated 4/19/2010 8:41:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                  > timbenas@... writes:
                  >

                  > It appears to be an engraving machine, also referred to as die stamping. It
                  > uses intaglio plates.
                  >

                  > ____________ _________ _________ ______
                  > To: PPLetterpress@ To: PPLe
                  > From: neroinferno@ From:
                  > Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 19:36:52 +0000
                  > Subject: [PPLetterpress] Can you identify this press?
                  >

                  > Hello,
                  > can you identify this press?
                  >
                  > _http://img192. http://img1http: //imghttp: //imghtt_
                  > (http://img192. imageshack. us/img192/ 3365/bohs. jpg)
                  >
                  > It isn't a typographic press but I hope any veteran here will recognoize
                  > it.
                  >
                  > Thanks!
                  > Fabio

                • KalleP
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 20, 2010
                    Hi,

                    I would support the vote for an production engraving press (not machine) and it looks like a it would be perfect for small runs, thought it still needs the hand wheel to supply the impression it has the automatic inking and die-wipe for consistent results. You might be able to test it out with a very shallow etched zinc cut or perhaps even a pad printing die. The small die area is a result of the high pressures required to force the paper up into the die, I suppose there may be provision for some form of built up or resilient packing below the paper. The large area to hold the sheet of paper with the neat peg board holes speaks of jobbing for letterhead chrests and certificate seals and such small items added to sheets of up-market stationery, it would be a lovely tool to have in the wedding invite trade as it is even harder to get good engraved work these days than heavy letterpress.

                    Regards

                    Kalle
                    --
                    Idyllic Press
                    Johannesburg, South Africa
                    --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <Megalonyx@...> wrote:

                    > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Tim Benas <timbenas@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > My guess of an engraving machine. . .
                    >
                    > I think it is a good guess. At first glance I thought it was a foil stamper but the roll of material does not travel the right path for that. As a die-wipe it makes perfect sense.
                    > It looks like the head moves back, to the right of the picture, as part of the action. No foil stamper or punch would use that movement.
                    > --Eric Holub, SF

                  • Fritz Klinke
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 20, 2010
                      I'm having a problem with this being a true steel die stamping press as the parts of it just don't work for me as being a "production" press--and I ran an engraving operation in San Francisco some years back so had daily experience with true engraving presses. First, this is a German machine, and Offenbach was once quite a manufacturing center, and one product made there was engraving presses, but not under this company name. If anything, it is a very light duty machine and it does have some sort of wiping mechanism, but its true function does baffle me.

                      Fritz

                      I would support the vote for an production engraving press (not machine) and it looks like a it would be perfect for small runs, thought it still needs the hand wheel to supply the impression it has the automatic inking and die-wipe for consistent results. You might be able to test it out with a very shallow etched zinc cut or perhaps even a pad printing die. The small die area is a result of the high pressures required to force the paper up into the die, I suppose there may be provision for some form of built up or resilient packing below the paper. The large area to hold the sheet of paper with the neat peg board holes speaks of jobbing for letterhead chrests and certificate seals and such small items added to sheets of up-market stationery, it would be a lovely tool to have in the wedding invite trade as it is even harder to get good engraved work these days than heavy letterpress.

                      Regards

                      Kalle
                      --
                      Idyllic Press
                      Johannesburg, South Africa
                      --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, "Eric" <Megalonyx@. ..> wrote:

                      > --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, Tim Benas <timbenas@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > My guess of an engraving machine. . .
                      >
                      > I think it is a good guess. At first glance I thought it was a foil stamper but the roll of material does not travel the right path for that. As a die-wipe it makes perfect sense.
                      > It looks like the head moves back, to the right of the picture, as part of the action. No foil stamper or punch would use that movement.
                      > --Eric Holub, SF

                    • Eric
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 21, 2010
                        --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "Fritz Klinke" <nagraph@...> wrote:

                        > I'm having a problem with this being a true steel die stamping press as the parts of it just don't work for me as being a "production" press [. . .]

                        Fritz, another response over on BriarPress associates the manufacturer specifically with engraving presses. Of course the design of the press is not strong, just an elaborate C-clamp, and yes, commercial engraving presses used in the US seem to weigh at least a ton or two for every square inch of image area. But there are--or were--classes of engraved work that only needed 1/4" x 1-1/2" of capacity, just a name on a visiting card or monarch letter. Couldn't this press handle that?
                        --Eric Holub, SF
                      • Clay Oliff
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 21, 2010
                          Hello all,

                          I am a national product manager for manroland (legacy letterpress and offset are Miehle, Miller and others) we are based in Offenbach and have been for 163 years. I will circulate this photo in our factories there and in Augsburg to see if anyone knows.

                          Regards, -Clay
                          Clay Oliff

                          em:
                          clayoliff@...

                          I'm having a problem with this being a true steel die stamping press as the parts of it just don't work for me as being a "production" press--and I ran an engraving operation in San Francisco some years back so had daily experience with true engraving presses. First, this is a German machine, and Offenbach was once quite a manufacturing center, and one product made there was engraving presses, but not under this company name. If anything, it is a very light duty machine and it does have some sort of wiping mechanism, but its true function does baffle me.

                          Fritz

                          I would support the vote for an production engraving press (not machine) and it looks like a it would be perfect for small runs, thought it still needs the hand wheel to supply the impression it has the automatic inking and die-wipe for consistent results. You might be able to test it out with a very shallow etched zinc cut or perhaps even a pad printing die. The small die area is a result of the high pressures required to force the paper up into the die, I suppose there may be provision for some form of built up or resilient packing below the paper. The large area to hold the sheet of paper with the neat peg board holes speaks of jobbing for letterhead chrests and certificate seals and such small items added to sheets of up-market stationery, it would be a lovely tool to have in the wedding invite trade as it is even harder to get good engraved work these days than heavy letterpress.

                          Regards

                          Kalle
                          --
                          Idyllic Press
                          Johannesburg, South Africa
                          --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, "Eric" <Megalonyx@. ..> wrote:

                          > --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, Tim Benas <timbenas@> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > My guess of an engraving machine. . .
                          >
                          > I think it is a good guess. At first glance I thought it was a foil stamper but the roll of material does not travel the right path for that. As a die-wipe it makes perfect sense.
                          > It looks like the head moves back, to the right of the picture, as part of the action. No foil stamper or punch would use that movement.
                          > --Eric Holub, SF

                        • Scott Rubel

                            I'm having a problem with this being a true steel die stamping press as the parts of it just don't work for me as being a "production" press--and I ran an engraving operation in San Francisco some years back so had daily experince with true engraving presses. First, this is a German machine, and Offenbach was once quite a manufacturing center, and one product made there was engraving presses, but not under this company name. If anything, it is a very light duty machine and it does have some sort of wiping mechanism, but its true function does baffle me.

                            Fritz

                            I would support the vote for an production engraving press (not machine) and it looks like a it would be perfect for small runs, thought it still needs the hand wheel to supply the impression it has the automatic inking and die-wipe for consistent results. You might be able to test it out with a very shallow etched zinc cut or perhaps even a pad printing die. The small die area is a result of the high pressures required to force the paper up into the die, I suppose there may be provision for some form of built up or resilient packing below the paper. The large area to hold the sheet of paper with the neat peg board holes speaks of jobbing for letterhead chrests and certificate seals and such small items added to sheets of up-market stationery, it would be a lovely tool to have in the wedding invite trade as it is even harder to get good engraved work these days than heavy letterpress.

                            Regards

                            Kalle
                            --
                            Idyllic Press
                            Johannesburg, South Africa
                            --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, "Eric" <Megalonyx@. ..> wrote:

                            > --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, Tim Benas <timbenas@> wrote:
                            > >

                            > > My guess of an engraving machine. . .
                            >
                            > I think it is a good guess. At first glance I thought it was a foil stamper but the roll of material does not travel the right path for that. As a die-wipe it makes perfect sense.
                            > It looks like the head moves back, to the right of the picture, as part of the action. No foil stamper or punch would use that movement.
                            > --Eric Holub, SF

                          • Clay Oliff
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 25, 2010
                              Hello all,

                              A German colleague knew of this company. He sent the following remarks from a newspaper article that ran when the company closed...he sent it in German so I translated it:

                              Auf das stolze Gründungsjahr 1821 blickte an der Rödernstraße die Firma Friedrich Heim & Co. zurück. Sie hatte lange ein Monopol auf Stahlstich-Prägepressen. Auch sie verschwand. 1994 kam das Aus für den Pelzveredler Thorer an der Mühlheimer Straße, ursprünglich ein Leipziger Unternehmen, das nach 1945 in Offenbach erfolgreich einen neuen Anlauf nahm. Die Schließung traf etwa 300 Mitarbeiter.

                              On the proud foundation year 1821, the firm looked at the Rödernstraße Friedrich home & Co. back.  It had long a monopoly on Steel Engraving Stamp presses.  Also it disappeared.  The end for came 1994 the Pelzveredler Thorer at the Mühlheimer street, originally a Leipzig resident business that took a new start after 1945 in open stream successfully.  The closing encountered about 300 colleagues

                              Attached is also a MUCH older photo. This company only built steel-engraving presses. My colleague is going to send additional information functionality of the components in the photo.

                              Hope this starts to add clarity...

                              I'm having a problem with this being a true steel die stamping press as the parts of it just don't work for me as being a "production" press--and I ran an engraving operation in San Francisco some years back so had daily experience with true engraving presses. First, this is a German machine, and Offenbach was once quite a manufacturing center, and one product made there was engraving presses, but not under this company name. If anything, it is a very light duty machine and it does have some sort of wiping mechanism, but its true function does baffle me.

                              Fritz

                              I would support the vote for an production engraving press (not machine) and it looks like a it would be perfect for small runs, thought it still needs the hand wheel to supply the impression it has the automatic inking and die-wipe for consistent results. You might be able to test it out with a very shallow etched zinc cut or perhaps even a pad printing die. The small die area is a result of the high pressures required to force the paper up into the die, I suppose there may be provision for some form of built up or resilient packing below the paper. The large area to hold the sheet of paper with the neat peg board holes speaks of jobbing for letterhead chrests and certificate seals and such small items added to sheets of up-market stationery, it would be a lovely tool to have in the wedding invite trade as it is even harder to get good engraved work these days than heavy letterpress.

                              Regards

                              Kalle
                              --
                              Idyllic Press
                              Johannesburg, South Africa
                              --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, "Eric" <Megalonyx@. ..> wrote:

                              > --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, Tim Benas <timbenas@> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > My guess of an engraving machine. . .
                              >
                              > I think it is a good guess. At first glance I thought it was a foil stamper but the roll of material does not travel the right path for that. As a die-wipe it makes perfect sense.
                              > It looks like the head moves back, to the right of the picture, as part of the action. No foil stamper or punch would use that movement.
                              > --Eric Holub, SF

                            • i_goonies
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 25, 2010
                                Thanks for all the replies.

                                I finally got the press to my studio. In truth it's outdoor because I don't have enough space.

                                If I'll take others pics will be useful?

                                @Clay Oliff: keep us updated!

                                Thanks!
                                Fabio

                                --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Clay Oliff <clayoliff@...> wrote:

                                > Hello all,
                                >
                                > A German colleague knew of this company. He sent the following remarks from a newspaper article that ran when the company closed...he sent it in German so I translated it:
                                >
                                > Auf das stolze Gründungsjahr 1821 blickte an der Rödernstraße die Firma Friedrich Heim & Co. zurück. Sie hatte lange ein Monopol auf Stahlstich-Prägepressen. Auch sie verschwand. 1994 kam das Aus für den Pelzveredler Thorer an der Mühlheimer Straße, ursprünglich ein Leipziger Unternehmen, das nach 1945 in Offenbach erfolgreich einen neuen Anlauf nahm. Die Schließung traf etwa 300 Mitarbeiter.
                                >
                                > On the proud foundation year 1821, the firm looked at the Rödernstraße Friedrich home & Co. back.  It had long a monopoly on Steel Engraving Stamp presses.  Also it disappeared.  The end for came 1994 the Pelzveredler Thorer at the Mühlheimer street, originally a Leipzig resident business that took a new start after 1945 in open stream successfully.  The closing encountered about 300 colleagues
                                >
                                > Attached is also a MUCH older photo. This company only built steel-engraving presses. My colleague is going to send additional information functionality of the components in the photo.
                                >
                                > Hope this starts to add clarity...
                                >

                                > Clay Oliff
                                > www.wolfgapstudios.com

                              • i_goonies
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 29, 2010
                                  I inspected a bit the press and I discovered a ink roller (it's on the right, black, under the cardboard).

                                  Thanks,
                                  Fabio