Re: Digital Font Question

  • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 11, 2003
      Katie

      Brian is correct here. But if you don't have the original font to
      replace (not uncommon these days with downloadable purchases and
      neglect in backup) you might be able to regenerate the suitcase
      (bitmap/screen) font from the outline (printer) font by using a
      font-editor such as Fontographer or FontLab. Open the outline font and
      regenerate the suitcase. This will often solve the problem.

      A program that can often fix corrupt fonts is FontDoctor. FontDoctor
      is included with Suitcase 10, or at least was included with mine. It
      can be purchased separately.

      I use Suitcase for font management. The recent version of ATM (aka ATM
      Light, version 4.6.2+) no longer does font management. ATM Deluxe
      (combination manager/rastorizer) was discontinued with the new Mac
      OS, though you still need ATM as a rastorizer if you are running
      PostScript fonts.

      Gerald

      > Katie -
      > Most likely the font files have become corrupted. You should delete the
      > files and reinstall the font.
      > Brian

      > > ATM Deluxe sent the following report when I tried to open a font this
      > > morning. Can anyone tell me what this means in English, and how it
      might
      > > possibly be fixed (or does it require, as stated, reloading the
      suitcase)?

      > > "Error: the offset table in the FOND resource contains an offset which
      > > exceeds the length of the resource itself. This font may crash your
      > > computer. Replace the font suitcase file."
      > >
      > > I'm told that ATM is not really the best font utility program, but
      I have
      > > heard conflicting reports on some of the others out there (for
      Mac). Does

    • Fontdr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2003
        I rebuild my fonts in the Fontgrapher program. I use the ATM because
        FontReserve and Suitcase are more clumbsy to use.
        Bob Trogman
      • Tim Honnor
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 13, 2003
          No - but I know a good one right here in Scotland!!
          Tim Honnor
          www.piccolopress.co.uk

          In message <avnka2+m0lk@...>, "carey johnson
          <careysuejohnson@...>" <careysuejohnson@...> writes
          >Can anyone recommend a good photo engraver in LA? Both metal and
          >photopolymer. Thanks.
          >

          >• To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
          >PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
          >• Encountering problems? contact:
          >PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
          >• To unsubscribe:

          Tim Honnor - Piccolo Press - 90 Harbour Street - Nairn - IV12 4PG
          tel: 01667 454508 fax 01667 454509
          www.piccolopress.co.uk