re: Windmill losing impression strength?

  • Katelynn Corrigan
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 12, 2010
      Hello Leora,

      This is completely normal. It's happened to me a hundered times and I've never seen any evidence of damange to the shear collar connected with it. Do not fret that your machine is breaking. I believe this effect is caused by the die and or chase 'settling'- especially if it's been locked up in such a way that the metal parts of the die are not resting against the back of the press, the first few impressions will push they back through the wood and you'll have to make an impression adjustment. Just make a habit of staying with the press while running a die cut, to check to see if you're still cutting through periodically.

      Be well,

      -Katey

    • Nicolas Goosen
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 12, 2010
        That could be, especially if you've cut the wood around the die to fit
        in the chase and the edges aren't cut perfectly square, the quoins can
        lift it a bit. Maybe even your cutting rule wasn't properly knocked
        down into the wood.

        Nicolas

        On 12 Apr 2010, at 2:24 PM, Katelynn Corrigan wrote:

        > Hello Leora,
        >
        > This is completely normal. It's happened to me a hundered times and
        > I've never seen any evidence of damange to the shear collar
        > connected with it. Do not fret that your machine is breaking. I
        > believe this effect is caused by the die and or chase 'settling'-
        > especially if it's been locked up in such a way that the metal parts
        > of the die are not resting against the back of the press, the first
        > few impressions will push they back through the wood and you'll have
        > to make an impression adjustment. Just make a habit of staying with
        > the press while running a die cut, to check to see if you're still
        > cutting through periodically.
        >
        > Be well,
        >
        > -Katey
        >

        > The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts
        > with Hotmail. Get busy.

      • Keith Berger
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 12, 2010
          Ditto. You get it cutting, start running and a minute later it isn't
          cutting. I agree with Katey, probably the die settles back.

          Keith

          On Apr 12, 2010, at 8:24 AM, Katelynn Corrigan wrote:

          > Hello Leora,
          >
          > This is completely normal. It's happened to me a hundered times and
          > I've never seen any evidence of damange to the shear collar
          > connected with it. Do not fret that your machine is breaking. I
          > believe this effect is caused by the die and or chase 'settling'-
          > especially if it's been locked up in such a way that the metal parts
          > of the die are not resting against the back of the press, the first
          > few impressions will push they back through the wood and you'll have
          > to make an impression adjustment. Just make a habit of staying with
          > the press while running a die cut, to check to see if you're still
          > cutting through periodically.
          >
          > Be well,
          >
          > -Katey
          >

          > The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts
          > with Hotmail. Get busy.

          www.CrankyPressman.com
          The old letterpress printer getting it done online.

          To follow my shenanigans
          http://twitter.com/CrankyNation

          Telephone: (800) 433-1288
          Facsimile: (330) 337-0538
          A division of The Graphic Touch Letterpress Co.
          150 Penn Avenue, Salem, Ohio 44460