Re: [PPLetterpress] Re: Windmill losing impression strength?

  • Norman Hicks
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 11 10:13 PM
      Of course, Heidelberg sells the parts.

      There are some after market suppliers like, www.lsamerica.comwww.demersinc.com/demers_home.htmlwww.printersrepairparts.com (ask for their printed catalogue), www.whittenburginc.com (my favorite).

      The table lift rate control is down near the feed table crank, you will see, actually see page 71 of the instruction manual....

      Norman Hicks

      Hicks Brothers Printing Equipment
      582 6th Street
      San Francisco, California 94103-4708
      United States of America

      415-575-0933 office
      415-575-0907 fax
      415-725-1670 cell

      http://printingequip.com   visit it repeatedly!!!

      On Apr 11, 2010, at 4:42 PM, heavyimprint wrote:

      Where does one buy parts for the windmill?

      I was looking at the little brass filters and the air filter on the main cylinder and was thinking about this.

      Also, does anyone know how to adjust the feeding table so it lifts even more with each pull. I want it to advance 3/16" - 1/4" each time.

      --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, Half Press <half.press@ ...> wrote:

      > It may be the shear collar or "pressure ring" (whatever you like to call it). In the lower back of the press there is round part surrounded by big bolts. Open that up and look at the collar. It may be damaged.
      >

      > In years working with windmills I have never seen that collar damaged. You never know. You will need a new one possibly.
      >

      > If it is not it, then you need a mechanic.

    • Katelynn Corrigan
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 12 5:24 AM
        Hello Leora,

        This is completely normal. It's happened to me a hundered times and I've never seen any evidence of damange to the shear collar connected with it. Do not fret that your machine is breaking. I believe this effect is caused by the die and or chase 'settling'- especially if it's been locked up in such a way that the metal parts of the die are not resting against the back of the press, the first few impressions will push they back through the wood and you'll have to make an impression adjustment. Just make a habit of staying with the press while running a die cut, to check to see if you're still cutting through periodically.

        Be well,

        -Katey

      • Nicolas Goosen
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 12 5:54 AM
          That could be, especially if you've cut the wood around the die to fit
          in the chase and the edges aren't cut perfectly square, the quoins can
          lift it a bit. Maybe even your cutting rule wasn't properly knocked
          down into the wood.

          Nicolas

          On 12 Apr 2010, at 2:24 PM, Katelynn Corrigan wrote:

          > Hello Leora,
          >
          > This is completely normal. It's happened to me a hundered times and
          > I've never seen any evidence of damange to the shear collar
          > connected with it. Do not fret that your machine is breaking. I
          > believe this effect is caused by the die and or chase 'settling'-
          > especially if it's been locked up in such a way that the metal parts
          > of the die are not resting against the back of the press, the first
          > few impressions will push they back through the wood and you'll have
          > to make an impression adjustment. Just make a habit of staying with
          > the press while running a die cut, to check to see if you're still
          > cutting through periodically.
          >
          > Be well,
          >
          > -Katey
          >

          > The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts
          > with Hotmail. Get busy.

        • Keith Berger
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 12 5:54 AM
            Ditto. You get it cutting, start running and a minute later it isn't
            cutting. I agree with Katey, probably the die settles back.

            Keith

            On Apr 12, 2010, at 8:24 AM, Katelynn Corrigan wrote:

            > Hello Leora,
            >
            > This is completely normal. It's happened to me a hundered times and
            > I've never seen any evidence of damange to the shear collar
            > connected with it. Do not fret that your machine is breaking. I
            > believe this effect is caused by the die and or chase 'settling'-
            > especially if it's been locked up in such a way that the metal parts
            > of the die are not resting against the back of the press, the first
            > few impressions will push they back through the wood and you'll have
            > to make an impression adjustment. Just make a habit of staying with
            > the press while running a die cut, to check to see if you're still
            > cutting through periodically.
            >
            > Be well,
            >
            > -Katey
            >

            > The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts
            > with Hotmail. Get busy.

            www.CrankyPressman.com
            The old letterpress printer getting it done online.

            To follow my shenanigans
            http://twitter.com/CrankyNation

            Telephone: (800) 433-1288
            Facsimile: (330) 337-0538
            A division of The Graphic Touch Letterpress Co.
            150 Penn Avenue, Salem, Ohio 44460