Windmill losing impression strength?

  • leorawest
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 11, 2010
      Hello all-

      I am running a die cut job on my Windmill that I have set up and run many, many times in the past. After cutting 3 or 4 times, the machine suddenly loses strength and stops cutting though the press continues to run and lightly score the cards. This has happened several times so it is not a matter of packing slipping. After a short break, I can begin the cutting again only to have the same thing happen. Any ideas?

      Thanks,
      Leora
      Copper Willow
    • Half Press
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 11, 2010

        It may be the shear collar or "pressure ring" (whatever you like to call it). In the lower back of the press there is round part surrounded by big bolts. Open that up and look at the collar. It may be damaged.

        In years working with windmills I have never seen that collar damaged. You never know. You will need a new one possibly.

        If it is not it, then you need a mechanic.

      • innererklang@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 11, 2010
          What are you using for packing? For a die cut job I generally pack a metal sheet under the top tympan sheet. If you are packing with only tympan paper or press board the die will very quickly cut through the paper until you get some impression but it no longer cuts.

          Mark

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 11, 2010
            Where does one buy parts for the windmill?

            I was looking at the little brass filters and the air filter on the main cylinder and was thinking about this.

            Also, does anyone know how to adjust the feeding table so it lifts even more with each pull. I want it to advance 3/16" - 1/4" each time.

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Half Press <half.press@...> wrote:

            > It may be the shear collar or "pressure ring" (whatever you like to call it). In the lower back of the press there is round part surrounded by big bolts. Open that up and look at the collar. It may be damaged.
            >

            > In years working with windmills I have never seen that collar damaged. You never know. You will need a new one possibly.
            >

            > If it is not it, then you need a mechanic.

          • Harold Kyle
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 11, 2010
              We've had two of these shear collars go in the last few years. They formed little stress fractures and their inner ring bent out slightly. In one case it was quite an ordeal to remove because it was really jammed inside the machine. I would start by looking at the shear collar in your situation. If not that, I would think that there's slop in some part of the impression control. That said, I too wonder if you're using a stainless steel die cutting jacket on the platen...?

              Harold

              --
              ---
              Boxcar Press
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 11, 2010
                Yeah, I would agree, the safety washer sounds suspect.

                I included 2 with your misc stuff. You need a 24 and a 27 mm wrench––or a mechanic

                Norman Hicks

                Hicks Brothers Printing Equipment
                582 6th Street
                San Francisco, California 94103-4708
                United States of America

                415-575-0933 office
                415-575-0907 fax
                415-725-1670 cell

                http://printingequip.com   visit it repeatedly!!!

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 11, 2010
                  Of course, Heidelberg sells the parts.

                  There are some after market suppliers like, www.lsamerica.comwww.demersinc.com/demers_home.htmlwww.printersrepairparts.com (ask for their printed catalogue), www.whittenburginc.com (my favorite).

                  The table lift rate control is down near the feed table crank, you will see, actually see page 71 of the instruction manual....

                  On Apr 11, 2010, at 4:42 PM, heavyimprint wrote:

                  Where does one buy parts for the windmill?

                  I was looking at the little brass filters and the air filter on the main cylinder and was thinking about this.

                  Also, does anyone know how to adjust the feeding table so it lifts even more with each pull. I want it to advance 3/16" - 1/4" each time.

                  --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, Half Press <half.press@ ...> wrote:

                  > It may be the shear collar or "pressure ring" (whatever you like to call it). In the lower back of the press there is round part surrounded by big bolts. Open that up and look at the collar. It may be damaged.
                  >

                  > In years working with windmills I have never seen that collar damaged. You never know. You will need a new one possibly.
                  >

                  > If it is not it, then you need a mechanic.

                • Katelynn Corrigan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 12, 2010
                    Hello Leora,

                    This is completely normal. It's happened to me a hundered times and I've never seen any evidence of damange to the shear collar connected with it. Do not fret that your machine is breaking. I believe this effect is caused by the die and or chase 'settling'- especially if it's been locked up in such a way that the metal parts of the die are not resting against the back of the press, the first few impressions will push they back through the wood and you'll have to make an impression adjustment. Just make a habit of staying with the press while running a die cut, to check to see if you're still cutting through periodically.

                    Be well,

                    -Katey

                  • Nicolas Goosen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 12, 2010
                      That could be, especially if you've cut the wood around the die to fit
                      in the chase and the edges aren't cut perfectly square, the quoins can
                      lift it a bit. Maybe even your cutting rule wasn't properly knocked
                      down into the wood.

                      Nicolas

                      On 12 Apr 2010, at 2:24 PM, Katelynn Corrigan wrote:

                      > Hello Leora,
                      >
                      > This is completely normal. It's happened to me a hundered times and
                      > I've never seen any evidence of damange to the shear collar
                      > connected with it. Do not fret that your machine is breaking. I
                      > believe this effect is caused by the die and or chase 'settling'-
                      > especially if it's been locked up in such a way that the metal parts
                      > of the die are not resting against the back of the press, the first
                      > few impressions will push they back through the wood and you'll have
                      > to make an impression adjustment. Just make a habit of staying with
                      > the press while running a die cut, to check to see if you're still
                      > cutting through periodically.
                      >
                      > Be well,
                      >
                      > -Katey
                      >

                      > The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts
                      > with Hotmail. Get busy.

                    • Keith Berger
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 12, 2010
                        Ditto. You get it cutting, start running and a minute later it isn't
                        cutting. I agree with Katey, probably the die settles back.

                        Keith

                        On Apr 12, 2010, at 8:24 AM, Katelynn Corrigan wrote:

                        > Hello Leora,
                        >
                        > This is completely normal. It's happened to me a hundered times and
                        > I've never seen any evidence of damange to the shear collar
                        > connected with it. Do not fret that your machine is breaking. I
                        > believe this effect is caused by the die and or chase 'settling'-
                        > especially if it's been locked up in such a way that the metal parts
                        > of the die are not resting against the back of the press, the first
                        > few impressions will push they back through the wood and you'll have
                        > to make an impression adjustment. Just make a habit of staying with
                        > the press while running a die cut, to check to see if you're still
                        > cutting through periodically.
                        >
                        > Be well,
                        >
                        > -Katey
                        >

                        > The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts
                        > with Hotmail. Get busy.

                        www.CrankyPressman.com
                        The old letterpress printer getting it done online.

                        To follow my shenanigans
                        http://twitter.com/CrankyNation

                        Telephone: (800) 433-1288
                        Facsimile: (330) 337-0538
                        A division of The Graphic Touch Letterpress Co.
                        150 Penn Avenue, Salem, Ohio 44460