Digital Font Question

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 11, 2003
      ATM Deluxe sent the following report when I tried to open a font this
      morning. Can anyone tell me what this means in English, and how it might
      possibly be fixed (or does it require, as stated, reloading the suitcase)?

      "Error: the offset table in the FOND resource contains an offset which
      exceeds the length of the resource itself. This font may crash your
      computer. Replace the font suitcase file."

      I'm told that ATM is not really the best font utility program, but I have
      heard conflicting reports on some of the others out there (for Mac). Does
      anyone have recommendations? Thanks.

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588
      http://www.arsbrevispress.com
    • Brian Allen
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2003
        Katie -
        Most likely the font files have become corrupted. You should delete the
        files and reinstall the font.
        Brian

      • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 11, 2003
          Katie

          Brian is correct here. But if you don't have the original font to
          replace (not uncommon these days with downloadable purchases and
          neglect in backup) you might be able to regenerate the suitcase
          (bitmap/screen) font from the outline (printer) font by using a
          font-editor such as Fontographer or FontLab. Open the outline font and
          regenerate the suitcase. This will often solve the problem.

          A program that can often fix corrupt fonts is FontDoctor. FontDoctor
          is included with Suitcase 10, or at least was included with mine. It
          can be purchased separately.

          I use Suitcase for font management. The recent version of ATM (aka ATM
          Light, version 4.6.2+) no longer does font management. ATM Deluxe
          (combination manager/rastorizer) was discontinued with the new Mac
          OS, though you still need ATM as a rastorizer if you are running
          PostScript fonts.

          Gerald

        • Fontdr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 11, 2003
            I rebuild my fonts in the Fontgrapher program. I use the ATM because
            FontReserve and Suitcase are more clumbsy to use.
            Bob Trogman
          • Tim Honnor
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 13, 2003
              No - but I know a good one right here in Scotland!!
              Tim Honnor
              www.piccolopress.co.uk

              In message <avnka2+m0lk@...>, "carey johnson
              <careysuejohnson@...>" <careysuejohnson@...> writes
              >Can anyone recommend a good photo engraver in LA? Both metal and
              >photopolymer. Thanks.
              >

              >• To respond to a post or post a message to the membership:
              >PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              >• Encountering problems? contact:
              >PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
              >• To unsubscribe:

              Tim Honnor - Piccolo Press - 90 Harbour Street - Nairn - IV12 4PG
              tel: 01667 454508 fax 01667 454509
              www.piccolopress.co.uk