Re: [PPLetterpress] 219 Questions

  • Katie Harper
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
      Jack: I'm happy to pass along the information and advice I have received so
      far. One of the reasons for keeping it all off list was so I could send
      diagrams to those who were wanting to know more about what was going on with
      my press. I can't do that to the list, but I can describe things verbally.

      One person wrote back that he's used almost every Vandercook model, and the
      219 is his favorite! I found that hard to believe. My brief experience with
      this press has not left me, well, impressed (pardon the pun.) I found the
      rollers hard to take in and out, for example.

      But the most immediate problem concerned the grippers. They are falling too
      close to the feed table and slightly below it, so that when one feeds in a
      sheet of paper, the paper must bend down around the edge of the feed table
      in order to get caught by the grippers. One suggestion was that the
      impression cylinder might have been removed at some point, and reinstalled
      in the wrong tooth on its gear track, putting it one tooth counterclockwise
      from where it should be. I was given two methods for fixing this, both of
      which sound rather scary, which could explain why the cylinder has not been
      fixed before now.

      The other possibility is that the cylinder is landing too far to the left in
      its "home" position. I noticed this afternoon that I can fix the problem
      somewhat by simply turning the cylinder away from the feed table so that the
      grippers are on top of the cylinder and square with the table (still
      slightly below however.) So I wondered if the problem might be that whatever
      stops the cylinder in its home position (in this case it is three or four
      springs) might be worn and not keeping it the right distance away from the
      feed table.

      In a related development, I placed the manual at the end of the press (away
      from the operator) and it fell inside the chamber. There is a small door
      that one can open to get inside. It looks and works like the door on a wood
      stove (it's that heavy, too...) I finally got the door off, somewhat timid
      about what I might find inside. But there wasn't much there, except,
      curiously, a pulley with a belt that comes down about halfway along the
      bed's length. I have no idea what this is about.

      Katie Harper
      Ars Brevis Press
      Cincinnati, OH
      513-233-9588
      http://www.arsbrevispress.com

      > From: <jackwas@...>
      > Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:54:52 -0500
      > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] 219 Questions
      >
      > Katie
      >
      > I would ask, at least for my benefit, that this sort
      > of discussion remain public. Like myself, there may
      > be others who work with 219's that might benefit from
      > the exchange. Thanks.
      >
      > jack sinclair
      >

      >> From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
      >> Date: 2003/01/10 Fri AM 06:54:17 EST
      >> To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
      >> Subject: [PPLetterpress] 219 Questions

      > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      > ? Encountering problems? contact:
      > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
      > ? To unsubscribe:

    • Fritz Klinke
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 11, 2003
        For starters, there were two versions of the 219, and production by
        Vandercook overlapped during the transition from the Old Style to the New
        Style. One of the very few manuals we do not have is the Old Style 219. We
        do have all the blueprints. I usually refer people having problems with an
        Old Style to someone who has an understanding or has one of this model, and
        for Katie, she should contact Elias Roustom, who she already knows. A key
        factor for us is to have a serial number and then we can determine what to
        send someone. Our serial number files are about 99.5% complete. The Old
        Style 219 dates from the 1930s but was in production almost up to 1950. It
        bears very little resemblance to the New Style 219 which appears to have
        been completely redesigned along traditional Vandercook operating
        principles. Without a source manual ourselves, we can 't offer much help.

        Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
        1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
        Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
        970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127