Re: Parts for Vandercook

  • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2003
      > I have a Vandercook Universal 1 press. I need one
      > "Bearing Block" (P/N X16836). This is the adjusting
      > mechanism that holds and adjusts the form roll.
      >
      > If anyone has a part or a source I would appreciate
      > help.
      >
      > Thanks,

      Bill

      You should be able to get this from NA Graphics, P O Box 467, 1314
      Greene Street, Silverton, CO 81433. 970-387-0212. nagraph@...

      They can provide you with most Vandercook replacement parts and just
      about any other letterpress supplies you require.

      Gerald
    • Katie Harper
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
        If anyone out there has or uses a Vandercook 219 and can perhaps answer some
        questions about this machine, please email me off list. I'm new to this
        machine, and am using what I suspect is an older model, since it doesn't
        look like the one on the cover of the manual I got from NA Graphics. It has
        a heavy iron body, for one thing. The riders are different, too. Anyway, the
        main problem (one of many) seems to be the grippers. I believe this machine,
        at least in the later versions, is supposed to have a trip mechanism in the
        grippers so that the machine will not print if there is no paper in the
        grippers. So I'm thinking that might account for the weird gripper setup we
        have. Anyway, if you have some experience with this machine and could help
        with some advice, please let me know. Thanks.

        Katie Harper
        Ars Brevis Press
        Cincinnati, OH
        513-233-9588
        http://www.arsbrevispress.com
      • jackwas@bellsouth.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
          Katie

          I would ask, at least for my benefit, that this sort
          of discussion remain public. Like myself, there may
          be others who work with 219's that might benefit from
          the exchange. Thanks.

          jack sinclair

          > From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
          > Date: 2003/01/10 Fri AM 06:54:17 EST
          > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: [PPLetterpress] 219 Questions

        • Katie Harper
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
            Jack: I'm happy to pass along the information and advice I have received so
            far. One of the reasons for keeping it all off list was so I could send
            diagrams to those who were wanting to know more about what was going on with
            my press. I can't do that to the list, but I can describe things verbally.

            One person wrote back that he's used almost every Vandercook model, and the
            219 is his favorite! I found that hard to believe. My brief experience with
            this press has not left me, well, impressed (pardon the pun.) I found the
            rollers hard to take in and out, for example.

            But the most immediate problem concerned the grippers. They are falling too
            close to the feed table and slightly below it, so that when one feeds in a
            sheet of paper, the paper must bend down around the edge of the feed table
            in order to get caught by the grippers. One suggestion was that the
            impression cylinder might have been removed at some point, and reinstalled
            in the wrong tooth on its gear track, putting it one tooth counterclockwise
            from where it should be. I was given two methods for fixing this, both of
            which sound rather scary, which could explain why the cylinder has not been
            fixed before now.

            The other possibility is that the cylinder is landing too far to the left in
            its "home" position. I noticed this afternoon that I can fix the problem
            somewhat by simply turning the cylinder away from the feed table so that the
            grippers are on top of the cylinder and square with the table (still
            slightly below however.) So I wondered if the problem might be that whatever
            stops the cylinder in its home position (in this case it is three or four
            springs) might be worn and not keeping it the right distance away from the
            feed table.

            In a related development, I placed the manual at the end of the press (away
            from the operator) and it fell inside the chamber. There is a small door
            that one can open to get inside. It looks and works like the door on a wood
            stove (it's that heavy, too...) I finally got the door off, somewhat timid
            about what I might find inside. But there wasn't much there, except,
            curiously, a pulley with a belt that comes down about halfway along the
            bed's length. I have no idea what this is about.

            Katie Harper
            Ars Brevis Press
            Cincinnati, OH
            513-233-9588
            http://www.arsbrevispress.com

            > From: <jackwas@...>
            > Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:54:52 -0500
            > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] 219 Questions
            >
            > Katie
            >
            > I would ask, at least for my benefit, that this sort
            > of discussion remain public. Like myself, there may
            > be others who work with 219's that might benefit from
            > the exchange. Thanks.
            >
            > jack sinclair
            >

            >> From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
            >> Date: 2003/01/10 Fri AM 06:54:17 EST
            >> To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
            >> Subject: [PPLetterpress] 219 Questions

            > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
            > ? Encountering problems? contact:
            > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
            > ? To unsubscribe:

          • Fritz Klinke
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 11, 2003
              For starters, there were two versions of the 219, and production by
              Vandercook overlapped during the transition from the Old Style to the New
              Style. One of the very few manuals we do not have is the Old Style 219. We
              do have all the blueprints. I usually refer people having problems with an
              Old Style to someone who has an understanding or has one of this model, and
              for Katie, she should contact Elias Roustom, who she already knows. A key
              factor for us is to have a serial number and then we can determine what to
              send someone. Our serial number files are about 99.5% complete. The Old
              Style 219 dates from the 1930s but was in production almost up to 1950. It
              bears very little resemblance to the New Style 219 which appears to have
              been completely redesigned along traditional Vandercook operating
              principles. Without a source manual ourselves, we can 't offer much help.

              Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
              1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
              Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
              970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127