Parts for Vandercok

  • Siegl Bill
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 9, 2003
      Hi

      I have a Vandercook Universal 1 press. I need one
      "Bearing Block" (P/N X16836). This is the adjusting
      mechanism that holds and adjusts the form roll.

      If anyone has a part or a source I would appreciate
      help.

      Thanks,

      Billsiegl@...

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 9, 2003
        > I have a Vandercook Universal 1 press. I need one
        > "Bearing Block" (P/N X16836). This is the adjusting
        > mechanism that holds and adjusts the form roll.
        >
        > If anyone has a part or a source I would appreciate
        > help.
        >
        > Thanks,

        Bill

        You should be able to get this from NA Graphics, P O Box 467, 1314
        Greene Street, Silverton, CO 81433. 970-387-0212. nagraph@...

        They can provide you with most Vandercook replacement parts and just
        about any other letterpress supplies you require.

        Gerald
      • Katie Harper
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
          If anyone out there has or uses a Vandercook 219 and can perhaps answer some
          questions about this machine, please email me off list. I'm new to this
          machine, and am using what I suspect is an older model, since it doesn't
          look like the one on the cover of the manual I got from NA Graphics. It has
          a heavy iron body, for one thing. The riders are different, too. Anyway, the
          main problem (one of many) seems to be the grippers. I believe this machine,
          at least in the later versions, is supposed to have a trip mechanism in the
          grippers so that the machine will not print if there is no paper in the
          grippers. So I'm thinking that might account for the weird gripper setup we
          have. Anyway, if you have some experience with this machine and could help
          with some advice, please let me know. Thanks.

          Katie Harper
          Ars Brevis Press
          Cincinnati, OH
          513-233-9588
          http://www.arsbrevispress.com
        • jackwas@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
            Katie

            I would ask, at least for my benefit, that this sort
            of discussion remain public. Like myself, there may
            be others who work with 219's that might benefit from
            the exchange. Thanks.

            jack sinclair

            > From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
            > Date: 2003/01/10 Fri AM 06:54:17 EST
            > To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: [PPLetterpress] 219 Questions

          • Katie Harper
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 10, 2003
              Jack: I'm happy to pass along the information and advice I have received so
              far. One of the reasons for keeping it all off list was so I could send
              diagrams to those who were wanting to know more about what was going on with
              my press. I can't do that to the list, but I can describe things verbally.

              One person wrote back that he's used almost every Vandercook model, and the
              219 is his favorite! I found that hard to believe. My brief experience with
              this press has not left me, well, impressed (pardon the pun.) I found the
              rollers hard to take in and out, for example.

              But the most immediate problem concerned the grippers. They are falling too
              close to the feed table and slightly below it, so that when one feeds in a
              sheet of paper, the paper must bend down around the edge of the feed table
              in order to get caught by the grippers. One suggestion was that the
              impression cylinder might have been removed at some point, and reinstalled
              in the wrong tooth on its gear track, putting it one tooth counterclockwise
              from where it should be. I was given two methods for fixing this, both of
              which sound rather scary, which could explain why the cylinder has not been
              fixed before now.

              The other possibility is that the cylinder is landing too far to the left in
              its "home" position. I noticed this afternoon that I can fix the problem
              somewhat by simply turning the cylinder away from the feed table so that the
              grippers are on top of the cylinder and square with the table (still
              slightly below however.) So I wondered if the problem might be that whatever
              stops the cylinder in its home position (in this case it is three or four
              springs) might be worn and not keeping it the right distance away from the
              feed table.

              In a related development, I placed the manual at the end of the press (away
              from the operator) and it fell inside the chamber. There is a small door
              that one can open to get inside. It looks and works like the door on a wood
              stove (it's that heavy, too...) I finally got the door off, somewhat timid
              about what I might find inside. But there wasn't much there, except,
              curiously, a pulley with a belt that comes down about halfway along the
              bed's length. I have no idea what this is about.

              Katie Harper
              Ars Brevis Press
              Cincinnati, OH
              513-233-9588
              http://www.arsbrevispress.com

              > From: <jackwas@...>
              > Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 14:54:52 -0500
              > To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [PPLetterpress] 219 Questions
              >
              > Katie
              >
              > I would ask, at least for my benefit, that this sort
              > of discussion remain public. Like myself, there may
              > be others who work with 219's that might benefit from
              > the exchange. Thanks.
              >
              > jack sinclair
              >

              >> From: Katie Harper <knharper@...>
              >> Date: 2003/01/10 Fri AM 06:54:17 EST
              >> To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
              >> Subject: [PPLetterpress] 219 Questions

              > PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
              > ? Encountering problems? contact:
              > PPLetterpress-owner@yahoogroups.com
              > ? To unsubscribe:

            • Fritz Klinke
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 11, 2003
                For starters, there were two versions of the 219, and production by
                Vandercook overlapped during the transition from the Old Style to the New
                Style. One of the very few manuals we do not have is the Old Style 219. We
                do have all the blueprints. I usually refer people having problems with an
                Old Style to someone who has an understanding or has one of this model, and
                for Katie, she should contact Elias Roustom, who she already knows. A key
                factor for us is to have a serial number and then we can determine what to
                send someone. Our serial number files are about 99.5% complete. The Old
                Style 219 dates from the 1930s but was in production almost up to 1950. It
                bears very little resemblance to the New Style 219 which appears to have
                been completely redesigned along traditional Vandercook operating
                principles. Without a source manual ourselves, we can 't offer much help.

                Fritz Klinke, NA Graphics
                1314 Greene Street, P.O. Box 467
                Silverton, Colorado 81433 USA
                970-387-0212, fax 970-387-0127