Re: Die cut or corner rounding machine?

  • Barbara Hauser
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
      Hello Ian,

      It just so happens that I was in the shop of a very experienced printer this week and we had this discussion. He said that die cut is the way to go. A corner rounder cannot match the smooth cut made by a continuous die.

      Barbara

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "ductormanpaperboy" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone
      >
      > I am debating on the purchase of a corner rounding machine. I have a Heidelberg platen so I'm thinking of just having a die made. I'm not sure what would be the best way. The only thing that worries me about die cutting is that I may loose some of my invites in the jaws of the press. Any advice would be appreciated
      >
      > Thank you

    • Nicolas Goosen
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
        Would have to agree with that. A cheap corner rounder can give
        horrific results.

        But die-cutting would have to leave a nick or two on the edges of the
        piece. How to get rid of those? Sand them off?

        Nicolas

      • k8sggroups@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
          I leave no nicks when I RC with my machine; I guess you just know how to properly set it up.

          Speed Gray

          In a message dated 3/8/2010 1:11:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, nicolas@... writes:
          Would have to agree with that. A cheap corner rounder can give
          horrific results.

          But die-cutting would have to leave a nick or two on the edges of the
          piece. How to get rid of those? Sand them off?

          Nicolas

          On 07 Mar 2010, at 7:32 PM, Barbara Hauser wrote:
          > Hello ductormanpaperboy,
          >
          > It just so happens that I was in the shop of a very experienced
          > printer this week and we had this discussion. He said that die cut
          > is the way to go. A a corner rounder cannot match the smooth cut
          > made by a continuous die.
          >
          > Barbara
          >
          > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "ductormanpaperboy"
          > <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello everyone
          > >
          > > I am debating on the purchase of a corner rounding machine. I have
          > a Heidelberg platen so I'm thinking of just having a die made. I'm
          > not sure what would be the best way. The only thing that worries me
          > about die cutting is that I may loose some of my invites in the jaws
          > of the press. Any advice would be appreciated
          > >
          > > Thank you

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              PPLetterpress-digest@yahoogroups.com
              PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Lance Williams
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
            Nicolas,

            When die cutting round corners, you die cut the curved corners first onto
            slightly oversized stock. Then trim it to size, exactly to the size of
            the end of the curve cuts, and there are no nicks needed to keep the scrap
            attached.

            - Lance Williams
            Williams Stationery Co.
            Camden, New York
            APA #785

          • Nicolas Goosen
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
              I've done that recently when rounding just one corner - works nicely -
              the die completely cut two sides and then I guillotined the other two
              sides.

              Not sure about using that method for rounding all four corners,
              though. Surely that defeats the idea of die-cutting it to get a
              perfectly smooth corner? As Barbara put it 'the smooth cut made by a
              continuous die.'

              Nicolas

            • Lance Williams
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
                In the case of making something like a round-cornered card, I would use a
                die that cuts all four corners and three sides, and then trim the fourth
                side on the cutter to finish off the card.... Still no need for nicks to
                hold the pieces together, and accurate cutting will give all-around smooth
                edges.

                - Lance Williams
                Williams Stationery Co.
                Camden, New York
                APA #785

              • Nicolas Goosen
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
                  Okay, leaving one side off the die seems like a good idea. I was
                  imagining all four sides being left for the guillotine. Thanks for the
                  tip!

                  Nicolas