Re: Die cut or corner rounding machine?

  • Barbara Hauser
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
      Hello Ian,

      It just so happens that I was in the shop of a very experienced printer this week and we had this discussion. He said that die cut is the way to go. A corner rounder cannot match the smooth cut made by a continuous die.

      Barbara

    • k8sggroups@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
        I have a Challenge hydraulic RC machine I use when finishing foods labels which I print. Unless you are going to round corner "a lot" of invitations using a die on the Windmill, you will find a stand alone machine much more convenient. I round corner about 150M labels per month. You can also find foot operated RC machines also, which work quite nicely. Check E-Bay, that's where I got mine. It replaced two of my foot operated machines, which I sold.

        Speed Gray
        Grand rapids, MI

        In a message dated 3/7/2010 9:10:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, ductormanpaperboy@... writes:

        Hello everyone

        I am debating on the purchase of a corner rounding machine. I have a Heidelberg platen so I'm thinking of just having a die made. I'm not sure what would be the best way. The only thing that worries me about die cutting is that I may loose some of my invites in the jaws of the press. Any advice would be appreciated

        Thank you

      • Nicolas Goosen
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
          Would have to agree with that. A cheap corner rounder can give
          horrific results.

          But die-cutting would have to leave a nick or two on the edges of the
          piece. How to get rid of those? Sand them off?

          Nicolas

        • k8sggroups@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
            I leave no nicks when I RC with my machine; I guess you just know how to properly set it up.

            Speed Gray

            In a message dated 3/8/2010 1:11:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, nicolas@... writes:
            Would have to agree with that. A cheap corner rounder can give
            horrific results.

            But die-cutting would have to leave a nick or two on the edges of the
            piece. How to get rid of those? Sand them off?

            Nicolas

            On 07 Mar 2010, at 7:32 PM, Barbara Hauser wrote:
            > Hello ductormanpaperboy,
            >
            > It just so happens that I was in the shop of a very experienced
            > printer this week and we had this discussion. He said that die cut
            > is the way to go. A a corner rounder cannot match the smooth cut
            > made by a continuous die.
            >
            > Barbara
            >
            > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "ductormanpaperboy"
            > <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello everyone
            > >
            > > I am debating on the purchase of a corner rounding machine. I have
            > a Heidelberg platen so I'm thinking of just having a die made. I'm
            > not sure what would be the best way. The only thing that worries me
            > about die cutting is that I may loose some of my invites in the jaws
            > of the press. Any advice would be appreciated
            > >
            > > Thank you

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                PPLetterpress-digest@yahoogroups.com
                PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Lance Williams
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
              Nicolas,

              When die cutting round corners, you die cut the curved corners first onto
              slightly oversized stock. Then trim it to size, exactly to the size of
              the end of the curve cuts, and there are no nicks needed to keep the scrap
              attached.

              - Lance Williams
              Williams Stationery Co.
              Camden, New York
              APA #785

            • Nicolas Goosen
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
                I've done that recently when rounding just one corner - works nicely -
                the die completely cut two sides and then I guillotined the other two
                sides.

                Not sure about using that method for rounding all four corners,
                though. Surely that defeats the idea of die-cutting it to get a
                perfectly smooth corner? As Barbara put it 'the smooth cut made by a
                continuous die.'

                Nicolas

              • Lance Williams
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
                  In the case of making something like a round-cornered card, I would use a
                  die that cuts all four corners and three sides, and then trim the fourth
                  side on the cutter to finish off the card.... Still no need for nicks to
                  hold the pieces together, and accurate cutting will give all-around smooth
                  edges.

                  - Lance Williams
                  Williams Stationery Co.
                  Camden, New York
                  APA #785

                • Nicolas Goosen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
                    Okay, leaving one side off the die seems like a good idea. I was
                    imagining all four sides being left for the guillotine. Thanks for the
                    tip!

                    Nicolas