Re: Die cut or corner rounding machine?

  • Barbara Hauser
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
      Hello Ian,

      It just so happens that I was in the shop of a very experienced printer this week and we had this discussion. He said that die cut is the way to go. A corner rounder cannot match the smooth cut made by a continuous die.

      Barbara

      --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "ductormanpaperboy" <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone
      >
      > I am debating on the purchase of a corner rounding machine. I have a Heidelberg platen so I'm thinking of just having a die made. I'm not sure what would be the best way. The only thing that worries me about die cutting is that I may loose some of my invites in the jaws of the press. Any advice would be appreciated
      >
      > Thank you

    • Barbara Hauser
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
        Hello Ian,

      • k8sggroups@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
          I have a Challenge hydraulic RC machine I use when finishing foods labels which I print. Unless you are going to round corner "a lot" of invitations using a die on the Windmill, you will find a stand alone machine much more convenient. I round corner about 150M labels per month. You can also find foot operated RC machines also, which work quite nicely. Check E-Bay, that's where I got mine. It replaced two of my foot operated machines, which I sold.

          Speed Gray
          Grand rapids, MI

          In a message dated 3/7/2010 9:10:24 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, ductormanpaperboy@... writes:

          Hello everyone

          I am debating on the purchase of a corner rounding machine. I have a Heidelberg platen so I'm thinking of just having a die made. I'm not sure what would be the best way. The only thing that worries me about die cutting is that I may loose some of my invites in the jaws of the press. Any advice would be appreciated

          Thank you

        • Nicolas Goosen
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 7, 2010
            Would have to agree with that. A cheap corner rounder can give
            horrific results.

            But die-cutting would have to leave a nick or two on the edges of the
            piece. How to get rid of those? Sand them off?

            Nicolas

          • k8sggroups@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
              I leave no nicks when I RC with my machine; I guess you just know how to properly set it up.

              Speed Gray

              In a message dated 3/8/2010 1:11:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, nicolas@... writes:
              Would have to agree with that. A cheap corner rounder can give
              horrific results.

              But die-cutting would have to leave a nick or two on the edges of the
              piece. How to get rid of those? Sand them off?

              Nicolas

              On 07 Mar 2010, at 7:32 PM, Barbara Hauser wrote:
              > Hello ductormanpaperboy,
              >
              > It just so happens that I was in the shop of a very experienced
              > printer this week and we had this discussion. He said that die cut
              > is the way to go. A a corner rounder cannot match the smooth cut
              > made by a continuous die.
              >
              > Barbara
              >
              > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, "ductormanpaperboy"
              > <ductormanpaperboy@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello everyone
              > >
              > > I am debating on the purchase of a corner rounding machine. I have
              > a Heidelberg platen so I'm thinking of just having a die made. I'm
              > not sure what would be the best way. The only thing that worries me
              > about die cutting is that I may loose some of my invites in the jaws
              > of the press. Any advice would be appreciated
              > >
              > > Thank you

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  PPLetterpress-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  PPLetterpress-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Lance Williams
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
                Nicolas,

                When die cutting round corners, you die cut the curved corners first onto
                slightly oversized stock. Then trim it to size, exactly to the size of
                the end of the curve cuts, and there are no nicks needed to keep the scrap
                attached.

                - Lance Williams
                Williams Stationery Co.
                Camden, New York
                APA #785

              • Nicolas Goosen
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
                  I've done that recently when rounding just one corner - works nicely -
                  the die completely cut two sides and then I guillotined the other two
                  sides.

                  Not sure about using that method for rounding all four corners,
                  though. Surely that defeats the idea of die-cutting it to get a
                  perfectly smooth corner? As Barbara put it 'the smooth cut made by a
                  continuous die.'

                  Nicolas

                • Lance Williams
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
                    In the case of making something like a round-cornered card, I would use a
                    die that cuts all four corners and three sides, and then trim the fourth
                    side on the cutter to finish off the card.... Still no need for nicks to
                    hold the pieces together, and accurate cutting will give all-around smooth
                    edges.

                    - Lance Williams
                    Williams Stationery Co.
                    Camden, New York
                    APA #785

                  • Nicolas Goosen
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 8, 2010
                      Okay, leaving one side off the die seems like a good idea. I was
                      imagining all four sides being left for the guillotine. Thanks for the
                      tip!

                      Nicolas