Continuous tone relief printed photo ceramics

  • Gerald Lange <bieler@worldnet.att.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2003
      Some interesting goings on at the Centre for Fine Print Research

      http://www.uwe.ac.uk/amd/cfpr/fotocerm.htm

      This is amazing.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2003
        Hi Mark

        Hey, I'm just the messenger on this one! Did you look at the collotype
        section of the site? Quite amazing, and actually the best I've seen yet.
        But I've done collotype. I suspect, in some regards, these folks are
        knee deep in digital... Still, I'm impressed. Did you look at the staff
        roster!!!

        The topographical relief of collotype, for instance, is the result of
        the photopolymer matrix absorbing water, at least in traditional
        practice. I suspect that topographic relief does depend upon some form
        of hydration.

        Any clear film-backed photopolymer is designed for flexography and
        application to cylinder printing rather than flatbase. In the "old days"
        of flexographic liquid photopolymer you did need to back-expose. This
        would ensure an antihalation floor. All current sheet polymer (whether
        film-backed or metal-backed) comes already back-exposed. From the site
        specifics I don't exactly know what configuration they are using or
        where they are getting it. Some of the printmaking ventures into
        photopolymer are a bit confusing in this way.

        Ha! I suspect other photopolymer users would have a lot to say about
        this. But watch out for the ones who are selling!

        Gerald