Feeding lettra 110 lb

  • ductormanpaperboy
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2010
      I have problems feeding lettra through the windmill. I understand all of the air settings etc have cleaned filters and everything. She will feed regular paper til the cows come home but as soon as I feed lettra no no no!!! should I purchase the sucker bar kit or could there be something wrong with the feed?? has anyone else had issues feeding Cranes??

      Thanks
      Ian
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2010
        Hi Ian

        Any specific symptoms you're seeing?

        A number of things to look for:

        Be sure that the paper's been flexed, and flip through it to get some air between the sheets before loading the lift. Make sure your cutter blade is sharp, so you're not getting 'hanging chads' ;-)

        Take a look at my photos here http://bit.ly/c6shG5.
        I've taped a piece of 2-3 pica furniture toward the back of the feed table which I think assists in keeping the sheets feeding cleanly.

        Use more blast, but set the table lower. What you don't want is for the paper level to get too high so that the blast blows double sheets into the gripper.

        Use a very flat gripper setting (between 0-1)

        Make sure the corners of the sheets are laying flat as possible.

        I assume you're talking about the 300gsm. 600gsm has its own additional considerations...
        (First, the grippers should be very flat)
        In particular, that the stiffness of the board will prevent it from cleanly exiting the platen if the bottom left corner of the sheet hits the guide&pin at the left side. I've had this actually move the guide to the right, affecting registration and moving the pin into harms way!
        It's important there to keep the guide as far left as possible, which unfortunately, also means that there's the possibility of the sheet flying out over the pin when it comes around... So careful placement, and good choice of pin length is critical!

        Cheers!

        peter

        Peter Fraterdeus
        Exquisite letterpress takes timeā„¢
        http://slowprint.com/

        IdeasWords : Idea Swords
        Communication Strategy
        Semiotx.com @ideaswords

        On 7 Mar 2010, at 8:15 AM, ductormanpaperboy wrote:

        > I have problems feeding lettra through the windmill. I understand all of the air settings etc have cleaned filters and everything. She will feed regular paper til the cows come home but as soon as I feed lettra no no no!!! should I purchase the sucker bar kit or could there be something wrong with the feed?? has anyone else had issues feeding Cranes??
        >
        > Thanks
        > Ian
      • Nicolas Goosen
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2010
          Don't forget to check all the air hoses for a possible leak / break.
          Make sure the air-escape hole on the sucker bar is fully covered by
          its sleeve.

          Nicolas

          On 07 Mar 2010, at 4:15 PM, ductormanpaperboy wrote:

          > I have problems feeding lettra through the windmill. I understand
          > all of the air settings etc have cleaned filters and everything. She
          > will feed regular paper til the cows come home but as soon as I feed
          > lettra no no no!!! should I purchase the sucker bar kit or could
          > there be something wrong with the feed?? has anyone else had issues
          > feeding Cranes??
          >
          > Thanks
          > Ian

        • Bill Denham
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2010
            What exactly does it do? Pick up doubles, not pick up at all? We print with Lettra regularly and have the ordinary range of difficulties that can be solved with the various adjustments.

            Bill