Re: [PPLetterpress] re: wood sheet/paper

  • nohogallery@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
      I would...ha...imagine slit scoring the veneer...you would not be
      letterpressing place cards...each one has a different name.

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
        We have a client who prints on veneer regularly. She orders a japanese wood paper. We've also printed on straight veneer that I picked up from a local cabinetmaker. They usually have tons of scrap veneer....

        The japanese paper can be cut on your paper cutter. But it's best to cut the veneer by hand.

        Cheers,

        bryan hutcheson
        - manifesto letterpress
        - industrie standard
        - holyoke fine papers

        4 open square way, L101
        holyoke, ma 01040
        p:413.532.3360
        f:413.532.3387
        _________________________________
        full-service commercial letterpress
             announcements
             stationery
             packaging
             posters

      • Jill Velez
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
          yeah i told the planner it's going to cost her a fortune.  so i'm probably going through a lot of effort only to have the cost declined.  but at least i'm learning a new resource!
          i have chip charts from gmund and that's not what she's looking for, but i do love that savannah paper!  i think the veneer response is more accurate.  i will look into that, thanks!
          jill

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
            Try edgewood paper edgewoodpaper.com
            I haven't used it yet, but got a sample book and it's pretty cool stuff.

            Jill Broadhacker
            Creative Director/Owner
            jill@...

            Jilly Jack Designs, LLC
            13246 Lamana Place
            Westfield, IN 46074
            P: 317.414.5955
            F: 317.733.2974
            W: http://www.jillyjackdesignsllc.com
            B: http://www.jillyjackdesigns.blogspot.com
            T: http://twitter.com/jillyjackdesign
            FB: http://tinyurl.com/jillyjackfacebook

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
              of course, i know, i meant we might letterpress a design on them.  tbd!

              Velez Family Blog: http://velez-family.blogspot.com/

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
                I don't know about the folded part but I bought some thin wooden money from the Moose Jaw Chamber of Commerce back in the early 80's.

                Good luck.

                Anita.

                www.anitamaedraper.blogspot.com
                www.prairiechickswriteromance.blogspot.com
                www.twitter.com/anitamaedraper
                www.inkwellinspirations.blogspot.com

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 6, 2010
                  Hi, You can buy wood veneer in sheets from NY Central Art Supply. Their online catalog is a beast but you should be able to find it on this page by scrolling down http://www.nycentralartsupply.com/americas/usa4.html. I buy this all the time to use in bindings. It is paper backed and prints very well. It's worth getting the swatch book.

                  Good luck,
                  Amy Borezo
                  http://shelterbookworks.blogspot.com/
                • BirdDog Press
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 6, 2010
                    there is also cardsofwood.com that will sell you blanks of their veneer, they do 1ply and 2ply and can back it with a material that will allow folding.
                    hope that helps in your quest.

                    +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +
                    b i r d  d o g  p r e s s

                    Alli Bozeman   Lyons, Colorado
                    *** APA #823 ***

                  • Norman McKnight
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6, 2010

                      I have about fifty sheets of wood grained paper, 8.5x11, which I bought from Daniel Smith in

                      Seattle; but I see by their current catalogue that it is no longer listed. The sheets are plain on

                      the verso & a lovely wood grain from a mould on the face. It is white/ivory in color. I think it

                      possible that Daniel Smith could tell you who their supplier might have been. Their number

                      is 800 426 6740, & I would ask for the paper buyer or manager. They can also be reached by

                      email at customer.service@...

                      Norman McKnight

                      Philoxenia Press

                      Berkeley

                    • David Goodrich
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 7, 2010
                        If you actually want veneer, the source for it is Albert Constantine, which moved from Bronx to Florida several years ago.  Check their website.   You cut it with a razor blade or mat knife.  Used by itself, it splits very easily so the paper-backed variety would be better to print on.
                        David