re: wood sheet/paper

  • Katelynn Corrigan
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
      Hi,

      It is possible to letterpress on thin wood laminate, however, I don't imagine being able to fold something like that.

      Perhaps the photo your client saw used the Gmund wood-grain embossed paper? It comes in several colors. http://www.gmund.com/products/savanna

      Good luck!

      -Katey

    • nohogallery@aol.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
        I would...ha...imagine slit scoring the veneer...you would not be
        letterpressing place cards...each one has a different name.

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
          We have a client who prints on veneer regularly. She orders a japanese wood paper. We've also printed on straight veneer that I picked up from a local cabinetmaker. They usually have tons of scrap veneer....

          The japanese paper can be cut on your paper cutter. But it's best to cut the veneer by hand.

          Cheers,

          bryan hutcheson
          - manifesto letterpress
          - industrie standard
          - holyoke fine papers

          4 open square way, L101
          holyoke, ma 01040
          p:413.532.3360
          f:413.532.3387
          _________________________________
          full-service commercial letterpress
               announcements
               stationery
               packaging
               posters

        • Jill Velez
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
            yeah i told the planner it's going to cost her a fortune.  so i'm probably going through a lot of effort only to have the cost declined.  but at least i'm learning a new resource!
            i have chip charts from gmund and that's not what she's looking for, but i do love that savannah paper!  i think the veneer response is more accurate.  i will look into that, thanks!
            jill

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
              Try edgewood paper edgewoodpaper.com
              I haven't used it yet, but got a sample book and it's pretty cool stuff.

              Jill Broadhacker
              Creative Director/Owner
              jill@...

              Jilly Jack Designs, LLC
              13246 Lamana Place
              Westfield, IN 46074
              P: 317.414.5955
              F: 317.733.2974
              W: http://www.jillyjackdesignsllc.com
              B: http://www.jillyjackdesigns.blogspot.com
              T: http://twitter.com/jillyjackdesign
              FB: http://tinyurl.com/jillyjackfacebook

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
                of course, i know, i meant we might letterpress a design on them.  tbd!

                Velez Family Blog: http://velez-family.blogspot.com/

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
                  I don't know about the folded part but I bought some thin wooden money from the Moose Jaw Chamber of Commerce back in the early 80's.

                  Good luck.

                  Anita.

                  www.anitamaedraper.blogspot.com
                  www.prairiechickswriteromance.blogspot.com
                  www.twitter.com/anitamaedraper
                  www.inkwellinspirations.blogspot.com

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 6, 2010
                    Hi, You can buy wood veneer in sheets from NY Central Art Supply. Their online catalog is a beast but you should be able to find it on this page by scrolling down http://www.nycentralartsupply.com/americas/usa4.html. I buy this all the time to use in bindings. It is paper backed and prints very well. It's worth getting the swatch book.

                    Good luck,
                    Amy Borezo
                    http://shelterbookworks.blogspot.com/
                  • BirdDog Press
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 6, 2010
                      there is also cardsofwood.com that will sell you blanks of their veneer, they do 1ply and 2ply and can back it with a material that will allow folding.
                      hope that helps in your quest.

                      +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +
                      b i r d  d o g  p r e s s

                      Alli Bozeman   Lyons, Colorado
                      *** APA #823 ***

                    • Norman McKnight
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 6, 2010

                        I have about fifty sheets of wood grained paper, 8.5x11, which I bought from Daniel Smith in

                        Seattle; but I see by their current catalogue that it is no longer listed. The sheets are plain on

                        the verso & a lovely wood grain from a mould on the face. It is white/ivory in color. I think it

                        possible that Daniel Smith could tell you who their supplier might have been. Their number

                        is 800 426 6740, & I would ask for the paper buyer or manager. They can also be reached by

                        email at customer.service@...

                        Norman McKnight

                        Philoxenia Press

                        Berkeley

                      • David Goodrich
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 7, 2010
                          If you actually want veneer, the source for it is Albert Constantine, which moved from Bronx to Florida several years ago.  Check their website.   You cut it with a razor blade or mat knife.  Used by itself, it splits very easily so the paper-backed variety would be better to print on.
                          David