wood sheet/paper

  • foofnik79
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 4, 2010
      i have a client who saw some placecards - i think i martha stewart - that were folded wood in a blonde color with more of a reddish wood die cut leaf. it of course needs to be letterpressed, so does anyone have a resource or suggestion for this? thanks!
    • Julie Larson
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
        Have you asked about the client's budget? This sounds extremely expensive...

        You could probably get the leaf cut out from a trophy or sign shop that does laser engraving work or has a router. Not sure how you would have folded wood other than either steam formed or actually just cut out at an angle. Is the client sure it was not made of paperboard with a wood pattern?

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
          Hi,

          It is possible to letterpress on thin wood laminate, however, I don't imagine being able to fold something like that.

          Perhaps the photo your client saw used the Gmund wood-grain embossed paper? It comes in several colors. http://www.gmund.com/products/savanna

          Good luck!

          -Katey

        • nohogallery@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
            I would...ha...imagine slit scoring the veneer...you would not be
            letterpressing place cards...each one has a different name.

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
              We have a client who prints on veneer regularly. She orders a japanese wood paper. We've also printed on straight veneer that I picked up from a local cabinetmaker. They usually have tons of scrap veneer....

              The japanese paper can be cut on your paper cutter. But it's best to cut the veneer by hand.

              Cheers,

              bryan hutcheson
              - manifesto letterpress
              - industrie standard
              - holyoke fine papers

              4 open square way, L101
              holyoke, ma 01040
              p:413.532.3360
              f:413.532.3387
              _________________________________
              full-service commercial letterpress
                   announcements
                   stationery
                   packaging
                   posters

            • Jill Velez
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
                yeah i told the planner it's going to cost her a fortune.  so i'm probably going through a lot of effort only to have the cost declined.  but at least i'm learning a new resource!
                i have chip charts from gmund and that's not what she's looking for, but i do love that savannah paper!  i think the veneer response is more accurate.  i will look into that, thanks!
                jill

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
                  Try edgewood paper edgewoodpaper.com
                  I haven't used it yet, but got a sample book and it's pretty cool stuff.

                  Jill Broadhacker
                  Creative Director/Owner
                  jill@...

                  Jilly Jack Designs, LLC
                  13246 Lamana Place
                  Westfield, IN 46074
                  P: 317.414.5955
                  F: 317.733.2974
                  W: http://www.jillyjackdesignsllc.com
                  B: http://www.jillyjackdesigns.blogspot.com
                  T: http://twitter.com/jillyjackdesign
                  FB: http://tinyurl.com/jillyjackfacebook

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
                    of course, i know, i meant we might letterpress a design on them.  tbd!

                    Velez Family Blog: http://velez-family.blogspot.com/

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 5, 2010
                      I don't know about the folded part but I bought some thin wooden money from the Moose Jaw Chamber of Commerce back in the early 80's.

                      Good luck.

                      Anita.

                      www.anitamaedraper.blogspot.com
                      www.prairiechickswriteromance.blogspot.com
                      www.twitter.com/anitamaedraper
                      www.inkwellinspirations.blogspot.com

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 6, 2010
                        Hi, You can buy wood veneer in sheets from NY Central Art Supply. Their online catalog is a beast but you should be able to find it on this page by scrolling down http://www.nycentralartsupply.com/americas/usa4.html. I buy this all the time to use in bindings. It is paper backed and prints very well. It's worth getting the swatch book.

                        Good luck,
                        Amy Borezo
                        http://shelterbookworks.blogspot.com/
                      • BirdDog Press
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 6, 2010
                          there is also cardsofwood.com that will sell you blanks of their veneer, they do 1ply and 2ply and can back it with a material that will allow folding.
                          hope that helps in your quest.

                          +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +  +
                          b i r d  d o g  p r e s s

                          Alli Bozeman   Lyons, Colorado
                          *** APA #823 ***

                        • Norman McKnight
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 6, 2010

                            I have about fifty sheets of wood grained paper, 8.5x11, which I bought from Daniel Smith in

                            Seattle; but I see by their current catalogue that it is no longer listed. The sheets are plain on

                            the verso & a lovely wood grain from a mould on the face. It is white/ivory in color. I think it

                            possible that Daniel Smith could tell you who their supplier might have been. Their number

                            is 800 426 6740, & I would ask for the paper buyer or manager. They can also be reached by

                            email at customer.service@...

                            Norman McKnight

                            Philoxenia Press

                            Berkeley

                          • David Goodrich
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 7, 2010
                              If you actually want veneer, the source for it is Albert Constantine, which moved from Bronx to Florida several years ago.  Check their website.   You cut it with a razor blade or mat knife.  Used by itself, it splits very easily so the paper-backed variety would be better to print on.
                              David