March/April/May Workshops - Evanston, Illinois

  • maddene2003
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2010
      We're very excited about our current offerings at Evanston Print & Paper. We have some of our most popular classes again, as well as new offerings for more experienced print & book artists.

      Visit us at:

      www.evanstonprintandpaper.com

      Class sizes are limited, so contact us soon.

      Artist's Books
      with Melissa Jay Craig
      Wednesdays, March 3 – 31
      7:00 – 10:00

      $225.00 + $15.00 materials fee

      This class time is intended for artists who are already seriously exploring The Book in any form, from the codex to altered books to installation (or beyond). It is a distillation of some of the most effective features of the popular graduate school course Melissa created and taught for twelve years. It is not a course on "how to make books", but rather a guided exchange focused on making our books and book works as effective as they can be.
      Former students have said: "The brightest spot in my entire year. I have gained a lot of confidence in my ability to create artist's books, as well as to rapidly produce a substantial body of work. The discipline and brainstorming techniques I learned in this class will be essential in ongoing efforts to fine-tune my practice." "very effective and challenging" "I literally cannot say enough for this class: the structure, the instruction, the relevance of the feedback, everything."
      If you'd like to be challenged, to deepen your individual practice, and to exchange insights within a supportive community, this is a time and space for you. Please bring up to 3 samples of your work to the first session. (Digital images are OK, but actual work is better).

      Maximum 8 students

      Coptic Books with silkscreen covers
      with Jen Thomas
      Friday, March 12 & 19
      11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.

      $90.00 + $20.00 materials fee

      The first Coptic bindings were sewn eighteen centuries ago, and fascinating though they may be, they did not have artwork image transferred on the covers. That much I know. In this class you will learn this ancient structure, sew on boards, and decorate your cover with an image. Come learn this versatile binding structure and decorative technique. In just six hours you'll create your own incredible Coptic book.

      Maximum 8 students

      Vandercook Maintenance
      with Paul Moxon
      Saturday & Sunday March 13 & 14

      $165.00
      This two-day workshop, led by Paul Moxon, is a lecture/demo developed for artist/printers to learn the proper care and adjustment of Vandercook presses. This information is applicable to other brands such as Asbern, Challenge & Reprex presses. Participants need not be mechanically inclined, but should have some familiarity with proof presses, and may handle tools and press parts.

      This class is now full, but we are keeping a waitlist

      Introduction to Book Repair
      with Juliayn Coleman
      Thursdays, March 18 – April 8th
      7:00 – 10:00 p.m.

      $180 + $10.00 materials fee

      Do you have books that need special attention? Oh, yes, you do. Learn how to properly care for your books of all shapes, sized, and denominations in this class. We will cover the basic set of tools and materials you need to do paper and cloth repair. We will also discuss when and how to call in the professionals. As time allows, in the final class you may bring in books you possess which are currently in need of repair. For the rest of the class, you will work on a book we provide.

      Class size limited to 8 people

      Portable Papermaking
      with Melissa Jay Craig
      Saturday, March 20
      10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

      $90.00 +$20.00 materials fee

      This one-day, information-packed workshop is intended for both beginning papermakers and for people who have experience in papermaking, who do not now have ready access to formal papermaking facilities.
      Melissa Jay Craig has been making paper on residencies and in other situations not specially equipped for papermaking for the past eleven years. She will share her expertise on everything from storing and re-hydrating pulp, to sheet-forming without a vat or press, to building (and adapting) your own low-cost equipment for setting up a home studio, and we'll make a few sheets, too.

      Maximum 8 students

      Ink + Thread – Printed Editions
      with Stacey Stern & Jennifer Hunt Johnson
      March 22 – May 24
      7:00 – 10:00 p.m.
      $385 + $25.00 materials fee

      In this class join Stacey Stern of Steracle Press, and Jennifer Hunt Johnson of Red Letter Bindery, in taking your manifesto from concept, to print, to book. This ten-week class for beginners will walk you through the entire bookmaking process. You will start with concept and design, and learn techniques for page layout and planning your project. Stacey will then show you how to mix inks, register and print your own pages with flair. Then join Jen in the bindery to learn the basics of working with paper and adhesives, folding, and simple sewing techniques to complete a unique binding for your beautifully printed sheets. You will experience accordion binding, stab binding, and pamphlet stitch, and will apply your favorite techniques to create your finished book.

      Previous experience with letterpress printing from polymer plates preferred.

      Maximum 6 participants.

      Linoleum Block Printing
      with Sarah Vogel
      Saturday, March 27
      10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
      $90.00 + 15.00 material feel

      Learn to use linoleum for all (well, many!) of your letterpress illustration needs. This one-day workshop will cover the basics of linoleum block preparation, image transfer onto your block, the safe use of linoleum cutting tools and the fundamentals of printing on the studio's Vandercook proof presses. Bring a 5 x 7 inch image (erring on the side of a drawing, rather than a photograph) to class, or choose one of the fun images provided. At the end of the day, we'll bind everyone's prints into books, and we might even throw some type into the mix!

      Maximum of 8 participants

      Drum Leaf Binding
      with Melissa Jay Craig
      Sunday, March 28th
      10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

      $90.00 + $20.00 materials fee

      The Drum-Leaf Binding, perfected by book artist Tim Ely, is a low-adhesive, elegant, versatile structure perfect for printmakers, photographers, painters and others interested in using visual imagery in book form; it is not a sewn binding, so there is no thread or break in the gutter. This allows individual images to be presented in their entirety, in sequence. It's also a highly adaptable structure for book artists!
      Participants may want to bring decorative paper for the book's cover. Some previous bookbinding experience is helpful.

      Maximum of 8 participants.

      Letterpress Collision Books
      with Jen Thomas
      Saturday, April 3rd &
      Saturday & Sunday, April 10th & 11th
      12:00 – 4:00 p.m.

      $180 + $25.00 materials fee

      You take text from one source and images from a completely different source and what do you have? A collision book! Students will create their own 12-16 page "collision" books by combining text and images from 2 different sources, letterpress printing them, and binding them in a simple pamphlet format. Think of it like Mad Libs with pictures—wacky combinations are encouraged for this tongue-in-cheek letterpress class.
      Previous letterpress experience required.
      Limit 8 students

      Introduction to Silkscreen - Fabric
      with Jessica Taylor
      Wednesdays, April 21 – May 19
      7:00 – 10:00 p.m.
      $190 + $20 materials fee

      In this class students will be introduced to screen printing techniques on fabric. In the course you will learn how to apply images to screens using a variety of methods, including stencils, photo emulsion, and hand drawing. You will also learn how to mix fabric inks, and practice printing to develop imagery, as well as color and patter relationships. Instruction will culminate in the accomplishment of a chosen project, which can range from t-shirts, lengths of fabric for use in fashion or accessories, or fabric to make a variety of household products such as cushions and curtains. No previous printing experience is necessary.

      Maximum 8 students

      Portable Papermaking
      with Melissa Jay Craig
      Saturday, April 24,
      10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
      $90.00 + $20.00 materials fee

      This one-day, information-packed workshop is intended for both beginning papermakers and for people who have experience in papermaking, who do not now have ready access to formal papermaking facilities.
      Melissa Jay Craig has been making paper on residencies and in other situations not specially equipped for papermaking for the past eleven years. She will share her expertise on everything from storing and re-hydrating pulp, to sheet-forming without a vat or press, to building (and adapting) your own low-cost equipment for setting up a home studio, and we'll make a few sheets, too.

      Maximum of 8 students

      Artists' Books Intensive
      with Jen Thomas
      Thursday – Sunday May 6 – 9th
      10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
      $360 + $25.00 materials fee

      In this class students will be introduced to several basic book structures and image transfer techniques that they can build upon to create their own artists' books. Students will be encouraged to view the book as a conceptual space and create several artists' books in four days to fully explore the medium. Leave any preconceived notions at the door and come prepared to experiment in this four-day intensive.
      No previous bookbinding experience necessary.
      Limit 10 students

      Intro to Digital Letterpress Printing
      with Stacey Stern of Steracle Press
      10 weeks
      7:00 – 10:00 p.m.
      $400 (plus $25 materials fee)

      In this ten-week class for beginners, you will learn how to make your very own polymer plates, and print your designs from them. Stacey will take you from your computer image, to film, to plate, to the press. You will learn how to operate the equipment, mix inks, register plates, and print. In the early sessions, Stacey will discuss the traditions of printing, and guide you to the modern adaptations that are possible with photopolymer plates. There will be time to work on either your own or a group project.

      Maximum of 6 students.

      Broadsides for Poets
      With Sarah Vogel
      Saturdays, May 22 & 29
      10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
      $180 + 25 materials

      If you've been yearning to transform your poetry into posters, we have the class for you! In Broadsides for Poets, you will create a two-color 11 x 17 inch broadside featuring a poem of your choosing (or writing) paired with images from the studio's collection of old-fashioned cuts and linoleum blocks. In addition to exploring the basics of broadside layout, you will be setting metal & wood type, using photopolymer plates, mixing ink and printing on the studio's Vandercook proof presses. No previous experience is necessary.

      Maximum of 6 students