Font identity question: Arright

  • Jeffery Macklin
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010
      Font Question

      I have a case of what appears to be "Arright" italic 12-pt.
      IS that the correct name?

      I can't find anything on this. I must have it misspelled.

      Help

      jeff Macklin

      http://jacksoncreekpress.etsy.com
      http://www.jacksoncreekpress.ca/

      To: PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com
      From: spthompson@...
      Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 02:23:43 +0000
      Subject: [PPLetterpress] Re: Type for free

      Next time put a price on them and sell them. It will be easier and better for you. Stan

    • typetom@aol.com

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010
          Jeffery Macklin wrote:
          > I have a case of what appears to be "Arright" italic 12-pt.IS that the correct name?
          > I can't find anything on this. I must have it misspelled.
          Arrighi, and you're one lucky fellow.
        • typetom@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010
            Of course I mis-spelled Nicolas Jenson's name. Didn't even try to spell Arrighi's full name (Ludovico degli Arrighi) ...
            Tom

            In a message dated 2/15/2010 9:02:45 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, typetom@... writes:

            Probably Arrighi, which was designed by Frederic Warde, first cut in 1925 then done by English Monotype in 1929. It was selected by Bruce Rogers as an italic to accompany his Centaur type. Elegant and legible italic, based on an italic from 1524... (Centaur was based on the Nicholas Jenson roman, which pre-dates any italic metal types).
            Tom
          • Crispin Elsted
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 15, 2010
              Hi Jeffery,

              The typeface is indeed Arrighi -- or at least there is such a typeface, and if you're lucky, that's what you have. It's the companion italic to Bruce Rogers' Centaur, and was designed by Frederic Warde. I believe there's a chapter on it in Stanley Morison's A Tally of Types, but you should be able to find a good many pieces written about the type in various books.

              Cheers,

              Crispin

              Crispin & Jan Elsted
              Barbarian Press
              12375 Ainsworth Street
              Mission, British Columbia   V4S 1L4
              Canada

              From: spthompson@windstre am.net
              Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 02:23:43 +0000

              Next time put a price on them and sell them. It will be easier and better for you. Stan

              --- In PPLetterpress@ yahoogroups. com, Nancy Hill <nancy@...> wrote:

              > Sorry ­ I got so many responses ­ all gone!!
              >

              > On 2/8/10 7:43 AM, "Danielle Ameling" <danielleameling@ ...> wrote:
              >

              > > Hi Nancy,
              > >
              > > I'd like the following with shipping to 50313
              > >
              > > Stymie Medium 8
              > > Bernard Gothic Medium 12
              > > Bernard Gothic Fashion 12
              > > 20th Century Bold 12
              > > Raleigh Script 12
              > > Calson Text 6, 8
              > > Parisian 10
              > > Thanks,
              > > Danielle

            • Nick Smith
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 16, 2010
                Arrighi is the correct spelling - it was issued by Monotype UK in 1929
                as an italic to accompany Bruce Rogers's Centaur, & was based on the
                writing of Lodovico degli Arrighi, Rome, 1524.

                Nick

                --
                Nicholas Smith
                Rare Books Dept - University Library