Re: [PPLetterpress] Scoring Lettra 300gsm without having the fold crack

  • bryan@manifestopress.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
      Use a slit score.

      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      From: "Rick" <rziesing@...>
      Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:29:34 -0000
      To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [PPLetterpress] Scoring Lettra 300gsm without having the fold crack

      ok, I have used every matrix, every impression setting, every everything and when I score Lettra cards, after they are folded, a thin layer of fibers seem to break and leave a bit of a jagged line after folding. Perhaps this is just something that just "is" but if any of you have any secrets on this, please chime in.

      Thanks
      Rick

    • Lance Williams
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
        Rick,

        When scoring and folding a heavy sheet like Lettra, there will almost
        always be a small amount of fiber breakage. However, to minimize this the
        most, ALWAYS score and fold with the grain of the paper....

        - Lance Williams
        Williams Stationery Co.
        Camden, New York
        APA #785

      • Harold Kyle
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
          Are you running humidifiers in your shop? Dry northeast winters cause paper to become brittle.

          Harold

          On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:43 AM, <bryan@...> wrote:

          Use a slit score.

          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          From: "Rick" <rziesing@...>
          Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:29:34 -0000

          --
          ---
          Boxcar Press
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
            What is a slit score?

            --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, bryan@... wrote:

            > Use a slit score.
            > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          • Rick
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
              Makes perfect sense, thank you.

              Rick

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
                I was going to say, dampening the stock makes all the difference.
                I've not been able to get the humidity in the shop about about 25% all winter even with three big humidifiers running full out (worse the colder it gets outside of course), but after leaving the stock under moderate pressure overnight between boards and blotters, every 5th or 8th or so soaked in water, with the intervening sheets dry, both scoring and printing is ever so much more satisfying!

                Dampening has been covered here before, by me and others.
                I expect a search of the archives may be productive ;-)

                Cheers!

                peter

                On 9 Feb 2010, at 9:40 PM, Rick wrote:

                > Makes perfect sense, thank you.
                >
                > Rick
                >
                > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Harold Kyle <harold@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Are you running humidifiers in your shop? Dry northeast winters cause paper
                >> to become brittle.
                >>
                >> Harold
                >>
                >> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:43 AM, <bryan@...> wrote:
                >>

                >>> Use a slit score.
                >>>
                >>> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
                >>> ------------------------------
                >>> *From: * "Rick" <rziesing@...>
                >>> *Date: *Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:29:34 -0000
                >>> *To: *<PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
                >>> *Subject: *[PPLetterpress] Scoring Lettra 300gsm without having the fold
                >>> crack
                >>>

                >>> ok, I have used every matrix, every impression setting, every everything
                >>> and when I score Lettra cards, after they are folded, a thin layer of fibers
                >>> seem to break and leave a bit of a jagged line after folding. Perhaps this
                >>> is just something that just "is" but if any of you have any secrets on this,
                >>> please chime in.
                >>>
                >>> Thanks
                >>> Rick
                >>>

                >> --
                >> ---
                >> Boxcar Press
                >> 501 W. Fayette St. #222
                >> Syracuse, NY 13204
                >> www.boxcarpress.com

                Peter Fraterdeus
                Exquisite letterpress takes time™
                http://slowprint.com/

                IdeasWords : Idea Swords
                Communication Strategy
                Semiotx.com @ideaswords
              • Rick
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 10, 2010
                  Thanks Peter...I will heed your jab to search the archives, but my initial inquiry wouldn't have led me to a search on dampening.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 10, 2010
                    Rick, didn't mean to be jabbing ;-)

                    Good luck with it. I've been battling the same issues with cracking during the dry months!

                    Cheers

                    PF

                    On 10 Feb 2010, at 8:05 AM, Rick wrote:

                    > Thanks Peter...I will heed your jab to search the archives, but my initial inquiry wouldn't have led me to a search on dampening.
                    >
                    > -

                    Peter Fraterdeus
                    Exquisite letterpress takes time™
                    http://slowprint.com/

                    IdeasWords : Idea Swords
                    Communication Strategy
                    Semiotx.com @ideaswords
                  • Bryan Hutcheson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 10, 2010
                      a very fine slit in the surface of the sheet made with cutting rule or a slitter.

                      bryan hutcheson
                      manifesto letterpress / industrie standard
                      4 open square way, L101
                      holyoke, ma 01040
                      p:413.532.3360
                      f:413.532.3387