Scoring Lettra 300gsm without having the fold crack

  • Rick
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
      ok, I have used every matrix, every impression setting, every everything and when I score Lettra cards, after they are folded, a thin layer of fibers seem to break and leave a bit of a jagged line after folding. Perhaps this is just something that just "is" but if any of you have any secrets on this, please chime in.

      Thanks
      Rick
    • bryan@manifestopress.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
        Use a slit score.

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: "Rick" <rziesing@...>
        Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:29:34 -0000
        To: <PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [PPLetterpress] Scoring Lettra 300gsm without having the fold crack

        ok, I have used every matrix, every impression setting, every everything and when I score Lettra cards, after they are folded, a thin layer of fibers seem to break and leave a bit of a jagged line after folding. Perhaps this is just something that just "is" but if any of you have any secrets on this, please chime in.

        Thanks
        Rick

      • Lance Williams
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
          Rick,

          When scoring and folding a heavy sheet like Lettra, there will almost
          always be a small amount of fiber breakage. However, to minimize this the
          most, ALWAYS score and fold with the grain of the paper....

          - Lance Williams
          Williams Stationery Co.
          Camden, New York
          APA #785

        • Harold Kyle
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
            Are you running humidifiers in your shop? Dry northeast winters cause paper to become brittle.

            Harold

            On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:43 AM, <bryan@...> wrote:

            Use a slit score.

            Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            From: "Rick" <rziesing@...>
            Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:29:34 -0000

            --
            ---
            Boxcar Press
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
              What is a slit score?

              --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, bryan@... wrote:

              > Use a slit score.
              > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            • Rick
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
                Makes perfect sense, thank you.

                Rick

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 9, 2010
                  I was going to say, dampening the stock makes all the difference.
                  I've not been able to get the humidity in the shop about about 25% all winter even with three big humidifiers running full out (worse the colder it gets outside of course), but after leaving the stock under moderate pressure overnight between boards and blotters, every 5th or 8th or so soaked in water, with the intervening sheets dry, both scoring and printing is ever so much more satisfying!

                  Dampening has been covered here before, by me and others.
                  I expect a search of the archives may be productive ;-)

                  Cheers!

                  peter

                  On 9 Feb 2010, at 9:40 PM, Rick wrote:

                  > Makes perfect sense, thank you.
                  >
                  > Rick
                  >
                  > --- In PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com, Harold Kyle <harold@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Are you running humidifiers in your shop? Dry northeast winters cause paper
                  >> to become brittle.
                  >>
                  >> Harold
                  >>
                  >> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:43 AM, <bryan@...> wrote:
                  >>

                  >>> Use a slit score.
                  >>>
                  >>> Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
                  >>> ------------------------------
                  >>> *From: * "Rick" <rziesing@...>
                  >>> *Date: *Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:29:34 -0000
                  >>> *To: *<PPLetterpress@yahoogroups.com>
                  >>> *Subject: *[PPLetterpress] Scoring Lettra 300gsm without having the fold
                  >>> crack
                  >>>

                  >>> ok, I have used every matrix, every impression setting, every everything
                  >>> and when I score Lettra cards, after they are folded, a thin layer of fibers
                  >>> seem to break and leave a bit of a jagged line after folding. Perhaps this
                  >>> is just something that just "is" but if any of you have any secrets on this,
                  >>> please chime in.
                  >>>
                  >>> Thanks
                  >>> Rick
                  >>>

                  >> --
                  >> ---
                  >> Boxcar Press
                  >> 501 W. Fayette St. #222
                  >> Syracuse, NY 13204
                  >> www.boxcarpress.com

                  Peter Fraterdeus
                  Exquisite letterpress takes time™
                  http://slowprint.com/

                  IdeasWords : Idea Swords
                  Communication Strategy
                  Semiotx.com @ideaswords
                • Rick
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 10, 2010
                    Thanks Peter...I will heed your jab to search the archives, but my initial inquiry wouldn't have led me to a search on dampening.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 10, 2010
                      Rick, didn't mean to be jabbing ;-)

                      Good luck with it. I've been battling the same issues with cracking during the dry months!

                      Cheers

                      PF

                      On 10 Feb 2010, at 8:05 AM, Rick wrote:

                      > Thanks Peter...I will heed your jab to search the archives, but my initial inquiry wouldn't have led me to a search on dampening.
                      >
                      > -

                      Peter Fraterdeus
                      Exquisite letterpress takes time™
                      http://slowprint.com/

                      IdeasWords : Idea Swords
                      Communication Strategy
                      Semiotx.com @ideaswords
                    • Bryan Hutcheson
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 10, 2010
                        a very fine slit in the surface of the sheet made with cutting rule or a slitter.

                        bryan hutcheson
                        manifesto letterpress / industrie standard
                        4 open square way, L101
                        holyoke, ma 01040
                        p:413.532.3360
                        f:413.532.3387