The FPBA wants YOU to contribute to the special, deluxe copies of Parenthesis 19

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2010
      Dear letterpress printers & FPBA colleagues,

      I am writing on behalf of the North American chapter of the Fine Press
      Book Association <http://fpba.com/> to invite you to contribute an
      ephemeral piece to the special copies of Parenthesis
      <http://fpba.com/parenthesis/about.html> , which will go to press this
      summer. The special copies are hard bound, and slipcased with a
      portfolio which includes pieces of ephemera from various presses and
      printers. We are asking this as a donation of time and materials, with
      the object of having your work shown to an audience who might otherwise
      not encounter it.

      The ephemera can take almost any form you wish, but there are
      restrictions as to size. The finished piece should measure no more than
      8 1/2 by 11 inches [215 by 275mm], although of course it may be a larger
      sheet folded down to that size. We will need 114 copies of whatever
      piece you print for the deluxe membership editions and for a bundle
      exchange amongst contributors. Please note this is a portfolio exchange
      for contributors ¬ó you will not receive the bound edition.

      For this issue we would especially like to receive submissions from
      California printers and presses¬óbut that does not preclude anyone
      else from participating.

      So go ahead, throw some ink around, stretch your typographic legs! Color
      is not essential but is always welcome, as are illustrated pieces. This
      is your opportunity to print that little broadsheet, pamphlet, poem
      card, or whatever else you have had in the typographic corner of your
      mind for months or years. We only ask that you do not simply send a
      prospectus for a book you are printing, or which you have printed. This
      is not a forum for direct advertising, but an opportunity to show your
      style and to have some fun. In the process, you will greatly help
      Parenthesis and the Fine Press Book Association.

      Some past contributors of printed ephemera to the North American Deluxe
      Edition include:

      Arion Press, Aliquando Press, Cotton Socks Press, Barbarian Press,
      Gehenna Press, Full Moon Press, Incline Press, Leopard Studio Editions,
      Lock's Press, Loveletter Press, Midnight Paper Sales, (m)Other Tongue
      Press, Passim Editions, Red Howler Press, Robin Price, Sherwin Beach
      Press, Walking Bird Press, Warwick Press, Whittington Press, and Yellow
      Barn Press, to name but a few.

      If you are not a member of the FPBA already, that need not preclude your
      taking part, but please consider joining. The association is the only
      organization that is furthering the work of fine press printing and the
      book arts in both North America and the UK, and Parenthesis, which
      appears twice a year, is the only forum in which books from presses such
      as yours are reviewed and advertised. To join the FPBA, go to:

      1. If you wish to contribute something, please contact me by e-mail to
      confirm. My address is mcm@...

      2. Your contribution should be sent NO LATER THAN June 15, 2010. Please
      send your work to:

      Mark McMurray

      Caliban Press

      14 Jay Street

      Canton, NY 13617 USA

      3. Remember that the overall size of the finished piece must be 8 1/2 by
      11 inches or less.

      4. Please email me a short blurb about yourself and your submission, as
      we will include a cover sheet in the portfolio that will give some
      details about you.

      We thank you very much for your consideration, and we hope you will be
      joining us in this project.

      With all best bibliographic wishes,

      Mark McMurray

      Deluxe Ephemera Coordinator